Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everyone ready for deer season?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

I was able to fill both of my tags this past weekend (opening weekend shotgun; fri, sat, sun). I'm more for filling the freezer than trophy hunting, so I shoot what comes along first.

Friday I filled my either-sex tag with a decent sized 4-point buck...was tempted to let him pass, but like I said I didn't want to risk the chance of not seeing anything else rest of season. It was windy as heck and nowhere near the shots I usually hear opening weekend. Saturday, of course it had to happen; a nice 8 or 9 point buck comes walking along, stops within 20 yards or less with a perfect broadside shot...just as big if not bigger than my biggest buck I took last year. FIGURES!!! LOL. I tried to buy another either-sex tag after hunting hours, but no luck cuz all the places in town were sold out , anterless/doe tags only. Oh well, that's life sometimes. Windy as heck again saturday too with not many shots around. Sunday I was able to fill my antler-less/doe tag for my buddy around 945. Wind finally died down and shots all around me as is usually the case. Also saw the big boy again (not sure if him cuz partially hidden by trees) and another doe that wouldn't stop running so no clear shot.

Will be picking up my meat from butcher on wed. morning....woooooo jalepano n cheese slim jims!!! I give my buddy the other deer as a gift to him and his family because they let me hunt there, plus not enough freezer space yet . Think I'll be buying a couple more tags next year for the chance of the buck situation repeating itself in the future, LoL. I admit I'm surprised I saw as many bucks if not more than does last couple years. Not complaining tho! Just wish I had been able to take a pic of the bruiser buck.

Almost forgot, while sitting through the high wind gusts and trying to stay awake, a very vocal rooster pheasant was keeping me entertained during the weekend. Flushed up a couple of his lady friends while loading up the deer. Won't be hunting him; small piece of land and would rather let him and his ladies made some youngins for the future .
    Last edited by NewbieAKguy; 11-21-2011 at 11:26 PM.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Good job. That fork horn would be a no-no in my county, gotta have at least 4 points on one side. I nearly took a doe yesterday, but she bolted at the last second.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Good job. That fork horn would be a no-no in my county, gotta have at least 4 points on one side. I nearly took a doe yesterday, but she bolted at the last second.
    Been there!
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

I spend 2 days out and came home with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleshot View Post
    I spend 2 days out and came home with nothing.
    Welcome.

Did you see many deer?
    Returns June 3rd.

I got my first ever deer today!

It was a long story so I put it in it's own thread here...
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...595#post187595

Returns June 3rd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12