Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone ready for deer season?

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Everyone ready for deer season?

The boys and I went out this morning and put in another blind. We have one tree stand over looking a bean field, and two blinds in hopefully good locations. Both the blinds are off active rub lines.

Our rifle season starts on the 12th, I'm looking forward to it as usual.
    Returns June 3rd.

I don't have a place to hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    No conservation areas within driving range?
    Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    Hop on your bike and come on up. make sure you bring your long johns.

Just spent $100 on nephews coveralls and orange gear, He is about as excited as a kid can be and I think if there is a day I can't get out there the little feller would haul me out back in the toboggan just so he can get into the woods. He moved in with me to late to get him to a hunter safety course so this first year he can only go hunting with a mentor. Probably a good thing I don't mind. Now to get him some Pak boots and he is all set to go.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Ours starts Nov. 15th, but I probably won't go this year (the first time I haven't gone in 16 years).
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

My son and I went out and scouted yesterday, saw a few fresh tracks, some droppings, a couple of small rubs and a couple of possible spots to build a blind... our season starts the first Wed after Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder View Post
    My son and I went out and scouted yesterday, saw a few fresh tracks, some droppings, a couple of small rubs and a couple of possible spots to build a blind... our season starts the first Wed after Thanksgiving.
    Diesel, where are you located?

Here, in central Mizzou, our acorn crop was heavy again this year. The couple of ridges I'm concentrating on are mainly white oak and hickory covered. I don't think we'll see them moving as much as in some years because they don't have to go as far afield to forage. I'm counting on the rut and bucks chasing does in the timber. Hence more concentration on trails than crop fields.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Diesel, where are you located?
    The Flint Hills of Kansas. Good acorn crop here as well but not a lot of water in the area we will be hunting. Setting up where we can see into 2 fields and also the woods between where we saw several trails and a couple of small rubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder View Post
    The Flint Hills of Kansas. Good acorn crop here as well but not a lot of water in the area we will be hunting. Setting up where we can see into 2 fields and also the woods between where we saw several trails and a couple of small rubs.
    I gotcha. Well, good luck to both you and your boy. So what are you shooting this season for deer? My old 30-30 is staying in the closet, I'm going to be using my Savage .270, and the boy will be shooting the Remington 700 in .243 I bought. After rifle season we'll break out the muzzle loaders.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    I gotcha. Well, good luck to both you and your boy. So what are you shooting this season for deer? My old 30-30 is staying in the closet, I'm going to be using my Savage .270, and the boy will be shooting the Remington 700 in .243 I bought. After rifle season we'll break out the muzzle loaders.
    I will be using my Savage 10FP .308 and my son will be using his Kimber of America Sporterized 6.5x55 Swede Mauser.

i havent got a chance to do a damn thing,ill be scramblin friday to find a spot etc.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Opening shotgun season starts next Friday the 18th here in IL. Tried to sight in a TruGlo red dot last week but it gave me fits. Will be trying again next Mon or Tues to get things dialed in....weird because I borrowed same brand/model from bud last year and had no probs with his. Oh well, picked up a bore sight few days ago and will see what happens. If no go, rifle sights it is .
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Deer season ended November 4th here. I got this guy off my back deck November 4th at dusk last week. Yup, pushed miles of brush and climbed through canyons and ridges only to shoot this guy because I happened to look out my sliding glass door. 10 yards with a 6.8 SPC handloaded with 110 gr Sierra Pro-Hunters.

It's a Blacktail here in western Oregon. They rarely get much of a rack. Typically smaller thatn whitetail. I'd say he was 2 years old.

Last edited by btcave; 11-11-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    Deer season ended November 4th here. I got this guy off my back deck November 4th at dusk last week. Yup, pushed miles of brush and climbed through canyons and ridges only to shoot this guy because I happened to look out my sliding glass door. 10 yards with a 6.8 SPC handloaded with 110 gr Sierra Pro-Hunters.

It's a Blacktail here in western Oregon. They rarely get much of a rack. Typically smaller thatn whitetail. I'd say he was 2 years old.
    Can't eat antlers anyway. I get a doe and a buck tag and I have to shoot a doe before I can shoot a buck. That is fine with me because I prefer the doe for eating. My brother wants at least one rack before he hangs up his gun. He fell asleep on his stand and from where I sat I could see a 10 pointer, (5 to you westerners), not more than 20' from him staring at him and listening to his snoring.

I couldn't shoot because I would have had to shoot over his head. Last year he had hs eyes closed listening to a favorite song and missed seeing an 8 pointer. I think I know why he has never gotten a rack.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Farmer says the deer are killin his corn so I agreed to come up to Tuscola CO MI. All his crop is off now. I use my favorite brush gun, Ithaca Slamfire 12G 18 1/4" Cylinder Bore Magna Ported Sage International Ghost Ring Tritium Site and the Brenneke.

Wherever he goes I go the other way. Well you know what happens...I get the buck. lol

He don't really get Pissed but I have to listen to him Bitch for days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post

Good job.
    Returns June 3rd.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Cave, congrats on the buck! However, you are much to healthy/skinny

I'm going up to our place this coming weekend = probably Friday so I can hunt Saturday - start of gun hunting. It's supposed to be raining there tonight - good! the food plots need it.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Cave, congrats on the buck! However, you are much to healthy/skinny
    It's a genetic trait of the Cave family I'm afraid. We are thin and wirey males.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Shot by my little cousin at 1530 hours today the 14th just north of Rhinelander Wisconsin on his own land. Him and his trusty little bow and arrow. I think he gets more deer with that then he does his gun. The biggest deer he has ever shot and it measured 19" at the widest part of the rack. He is going to be insufferable for the rest of this year I am afraid.

THUCYDIDES.

Nice looking deer guys.

Saw a nice buck tonight about a mile north of where we plan on hunting. My cousin is the caretaker of that ranch so I called him and asked about hunting there. He said that the absentee owner GAVE the hunting rights to some dipstick from New York!

On a good point, in the area we are planning on hunting I saw 3 does cross a ridge and head down the draw but I had forgot my binoculars so I lost sight of them and couldn't tell if they dropped down into the draw or went along the ridge beside the draw and dropped over the end of the ridge into the river bottom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast