Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top 4 Survival Guns?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by videodon View Post
    Of your 4...I have:

Glock 19...suppressed...

Remington 870

Alt for AR...AKs..

Alt for 10/22...Thompson Machine Operative B...suppressed...
    You are all set for any Apocalypse, zombie or planetary flip! The most dangerous thing in either one of these will be other bands of people we encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You are all set for any Apocalypse, zombie or planetary flip! The most dangerous thing in either one of these will be other bands of people we encounter.
    Unless we ARE "those people".... ;-)
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    Unless we ARE "those people".... ;-)
    Good point, we should come up with a secret handshake or something so we can identify other gunsnettonians
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I only own 4 right now anyways. DPMS LR308 AP4, SW MP15T in 556, HK USP 45T, and Glock 19, pretty well covered for SHTF, Ill be adding a 22 lr pistol pretty soon. I'm putting the money together for the tax stamp on an AAC Eco 9mm silencer, and will get a can for the AR15 as well when taxes come in later on.

Glock 21 .45acp

Remington 870

Ruger Mark iii

Arsenal ak 47

The reason I wouldn't throw my colt 6920 in there is because I trust the ak47 more.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Good point, we should come up with a secret handshake or something so we can identify other gunsnettonians

May I suggest this? LOL
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    Could this be the list of the top 4 survival guns to own? Maybe.

Not a bad list by any means. In my own case a Sig Sauer 226 replaces the Glock, while a Winchester 1200 fills in for the 870 pump shotgun.

I have a nice Armalite M15A2 but might choose one of several AK rifles in it's place.

I would have a hard time choosing a rifle period. If I did the ak is sure to go as a just in case. Don't know if I would actually take it out until things really got hairy like the taliban suddenly showed up

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher View Post
    Im all about reliability & ease of re-loading

1. AK
    2. 870 12 ga.
    3. Marlin Model 60 22
    4. Glock model 27 40cal
    All are very good choices.

Now that I think about it I wouldn't mind my draco pistol. I love that little guy

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I don't have any guns. All mine were lost when my canoe flipped while fishing last year.

All I have for a SHTF situation is a bent spear, a slingshot with one elastic band, a dull knife, and a broken walking stick.

However, I do have some shoe polish and plan on joining the first roving band of inner city Amish yutes that comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    You laugh, but if you recall (that age thing and all). . . I suggested a number of years ago that Gunsnet come up with a flag to I.D. ourselves. The idea never took off though.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Don't the guys on...

the Red Green show have a secret handshake, or is it just the chant they do? You mean I need 4 guns? I better hit the gun show this weekend.....chris3

Well really you NEED all of them... but 4 guns is a good start ;-).
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    You laugh, but if you recall (that age thing and all). . . I suggested a number of years ago that Gunsnet come up with a flag to I.D. ourselves. The idea never took off though.
    How about a blue flag with "gunsnet" in big white letters?
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

The AK's are good for a couple of reasons. They are a 30 cal. bullet and have a reliability factor of working even when grungy as hell. They have multiple magazine styles from 5-75 rounds, and can be configured in several ways. HOWEVER, they are not as accurate as the AR.

As I own one, I'd have to go with the AK.

I have four .22 rifles, two in LR (1 bolt, 2 SA) and a .22 Mag bolt. I also have a "convertible" revolver so I can share ammo.

My two 12 gauges are a Mossberg pump and a SxS w/ double triggers. The double is heavier because of the second barrel but allows me to set it up for two different ranges for hunting by using different chokes. It is also the first gun I would grab in a HD situation as I can fire a 2 3/4" 00 Buck and a 3" #4 Buck at the same time. Then I'd grab the AK from the rack above the double.

While I have a nice little .380 with plenty of my reloads, it's only good as a CC/BU gun. The aforementioned .22 is also too small, the old .38 is either a .38 Long Colt (not sure) or a "shot-out" .38 Special. The other three pistols (2 SA, 1 revolver) all suffer from the same inadequacies. I will inherit an SP101 in .38 Sp. in a few years but I may choose to get a .357 before that. Just don't know. Don't really need it except for a SHTF situation. And, I'm comfortable with the accuracy of both the .380 and the .22 convertible.

“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JT, you're pretty well covered. But I think I'd have that old .38 looked at to make sure of it's caliber. And I'd seriously consider the .357 b/c the way things are going, you might not be around to inherit that sp101. I think a .357 would be especially handy since you're relying on a .380 b/c you don't know what type of .38 you have.

I'd go Ruger or Smith and Wesson. Hey, if you both bought and inherited an SP101, you'd have a cool pair.
    Last edited by American Rage; 12-11-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Aedan

Thanks

Well
    These pics are so good.
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    JT, you're pretty well covered. But I think I'd have that old .38 looked at to make sure of it's caliber. And I'd seriously consider the .357 b/c the way things are going, you might not be around to inherit that sp101. I think a .357 would be especially handy since you're relying on a .380 b/c you don't know what type of .38 you have.

I'd go Ruger or Smith and Wesson. Hey, if you both bought and inherited an SP101, you'd have a cool pair.
    True Rage but that old .38 is 90-100 y.o. and it's more just for around the house.
    As for the SP101, it's my mother's, she's in her 80's, and I'm executor.
    Shouldn't be a problem, but thanks for your concern.
    Hell, she's a tough old bird. Her dad lived to be 100. With my HBP, I might have a stroke or heart attack and go first!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

interesting thread.

1. i like the original picks,i do not own an ar but what i would be more comfortable with would be my ak,just because of the reliability issue and the possibility of not having time to properly maintain an ar type weapon.(plus i have 15,000. rds on hand for it.)
    i would substitute an ak in this category.(i like and have fired alot of ar;s,just shtf,situation i want absolute bang everytime)it is also accurate enough to take large game out to a decent distance,not as accurate as an ar but for my eyes..good enough to 200 yards.
    2. gotta have a .22...no prob with any ruger or marlin semi..dead reliable..a good bolt would also be fine.
    3. this is were i definately deviate from most here,i would not trust a semi pistol in survival situations,maybe i have had bad experiances..but i have had too many issues with semi pistols..i know..many stake their lives on them(i did have a berretta 92 that never missed a beat in thousands of rounds..with very casual cleaning)
    but my go to handgun would be a .357 mag in any manufacturer(can shoot .38's for plinking small game for the pot,or full house mags for self defense against most large critters..especially the 2 legged types)
    with decent adjustable sights i would feel confident with any name manufacturer.
    4. if i could only have 1 weapon,it would be a pump shotgun..period..any major make is dead reliable,will put food on the table from bird to deer,will stop any dangerous creature with decent range...hell my mossberg 500 i have a rifled sabot barrel with fiber optic sights..deadly to a pretty good distance.

all in all,i agree with the o.p.' pics,i would just substitute a revolver for the semi pistol..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast