Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Top 4 Survival Guns?

To each his own but I prefer my AK for a true shtf situation... Does not need as much maintainance as an AR... The trade off of course is accuracy. But if I'm going to shoot very far I want a full power rifle. The 10/22 is another good pick and I have one; I would however keep my bolt-action mossberg rifle that is tube fed over the 10/22 simple because I can feed it shorts longs or longrifles. I have 2 mossberg pumps and I like their dual slide bars. Handguns; I feel fine with either a berreta 92fs; Glock model 22; or a good ole .357 magnum. On the glock 19 I would go model 17 in a shtf situation personally. Bottom line is you should use something easy to obtain ammo and something you are familiar and comfortable with.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WASR10/63 View Post
    Apparently, I'm not going to survive.
    Why is that? You don't really need 4 types of firearms to survive, 1 will do especially if you really know how to use it effectively. Considering how only about half the people have any firearms owning one gets you a substantial leg-up on the situation.

I gotta say, you guys are really missing a key option here. These are all great options above, and if you got bands of people coming to take your stuff, yeah, I want a good scoped bolt .30-06, and certainly an AK/SKS/AR would be ideal for if they got closer. Mossberg 590SP in 8round would be great for up close and personal, and I think 9mm trumps .45 with good jhp's because of weight considerations and more firepower.

But if I was in a hardcore survival situation, ammo is precious or after a few years, maybe even unavailable, I'd damn well want a good single shot, break top 12 gauge. Those things just don't wear out. Sure you're not going to repel hoards with one, but it'll be working 50 years from now with minimal maintenance. Plus you can keep some 209 primers and use the spent shell brass( just cut off the plastic) and use them like a muzzle loader if need be. Throw some black powder, a patch and some creek rocks down the barrel and you're bringing home dinner. Slugs and buckshot for large game or 2 legged predators, and you can get barrel inserts for shooting the same calibers as your side arm if using 9mm, .357, or .22 with a longer sight radius for longer shots. It just gives you a world of versatility from something you can drop the barrel off of and clean it in the creek with some ashes, sand and water. Then just oil it up with your left over animal fat and your good to go.

Absolutely nothing wrong with a good, sturdy single-shot that takes change-out barrels. My first 12 gauge was an H&R single shot with this capability. H&R continues to build great guns, including their single-shots, some of which are modular. I learned how to trap shoot with mine, which is great training for shooting birds on the wing -- which you're liable to be doing a lot of in a post-SHTF situation. Nowadays there are some really cool convertible gun kits out there. I was just at Rossi's site earlier today and was surprised at the variety of their offerings in this area. Go here and check out the W, the matched pairs and sets, and the single shot firearms: http://www.rossiusa.com/products.cfm . Good selections, although I gotta admit a partiality to the Circuit Judge rifles -- because of their multiple caliber capability: .45 LC and 410 gauge.
    Best,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    Could this be the list of the top 4 survival guns to own? Maybe.

1. Glock 19 (9mm), Caliber is extremely common and ammunition will be easiest to obtain. Very reliable, accurate, and highly owned pistol for all around use.

2. Remington 870 (12 gauge), Highly customizable and well respected reliable pump action shotgun.

3. Ruger 10/22 (.22 LR), Well renown respected all around 22 that is highly configurable, accurate, and reliable.

4. AR-15 (.223/5.56x45mm), Just about everyone has one. Acuurate,reliable if kept clean.
    i like your list,however i think differently.
    i like the ar..could swap out for an ak..i have.
    cant beat a 12 g shotty..
    i dont see the need for a .22 rifle..can use a .22 pistol with decent sights pretty much as well with out having to carry 3 longarms.
    as for the glock..thats fine,i like a .357 revolver myself,but a 9 or 45 is fine.
    back that up with a buckmark or ruger .22 and your covered.
    i tried to figure how to carry my ak,shotty and a 1022..just to much crap rattling around.
    my setup would be a slung ak,shotty in hand and 2 pistols(one a .22 of coarse)
    the .22 is mostly for the camp potor backup..if you cant feed yourself with a .22 pistol and need a long gun..well your allready dead in my book.
    i like the shotgun in hand for close quarter situations,the ak/ar for longer range fire..the 9/357/45 for close combat and the .22 for food..
    my 2 cents.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Shotty??? What are you, 12 years old? OP said nothing about carting this stuff through the woods, it was just his choice for survival guns and the best you can come up with is a shotty???

I don't think I would trust you in the woods or with matches or sharp objects.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Re: Top 4 Survival Guns?

I vote Nylon 66 for .22lr. It will run forever with no lube (no need because of the nylon reciever) and they will shoot in sub zero temps.

AK47 variants for high power rifle. No explanation needed there.

Remington 870 for shot gun. Very reliable, easy to modify and find parts.

Any Glock for handgun. They just work, all the time. At least mine do.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

what i have for top 4
    ak47
    ruger 10/22
    mossberg 500
    Glock 22

Re: Top 4 Survival Guns?

AK
    G22
    10/22

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345