Thread: Gentlemen, don't forget routine inspection and maintencae of your hidey hole

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Gentlemen, don't forget routine inspection and maintencae of your hidey hole

Wisconsin family discovers fully-stocked fallout shelter in their back yard 50 years after it was installed at the height of the Cold War

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Cold-War.html
    But mostly remember where it was. They are a 166 miles north of me, I guess preps are not important where they live.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

A cursory glance at the title of this thread might be a tad misleading as to its actual content.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I don't have a hidey hole... but I have plenty of room for one. My whole house/grounds is our hidey hole - we live in the sticks.

I have thought of making one though just for fun - a bunker.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

No mention of guns or ammo.

I wonder if dad took those inside before calling the news crew.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    No mention of guns or ammo.

I wonder if dad took those inside before calling the news crew.
    i wouldnt have shown off anything. keep your mouth shut and be happy with it.

If it had been in my backyard it would have been pumped out, waterproofed, a sump pump added and refinished and nobody but me would have known about it. I wonder how the food stuff survived.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    If it had been in my backyard it would have been pumped out, waterproofed, a sump pump added and refinished and nobody but me would have known about it. I wonder how the food stuff survived.
    If it was full of water, not very well. Finally clicked the link, the canisters must of been above the water line but they sure were rusty. The contents look Museum grade. They could probably put them up on Ebay and make a ton of money.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-03-2013 at 05:48 AM.

I thought you only needed to start getting your hidey hole checked after you turn 50.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I can't believe those people waited 10 freaking years to investigate it. I would've been back there with a set of bolt cutters the day after moving in. Talk about a great property asset/feature.

This is a more complete story at this link. It isn't the only one in that area being one of 6 or 7 known.

Apparently the property was big enough and the growth heavy enough they just didn't bother looking at it even though they knew the trap door was there.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...Top+Stories%29

THUCYDIDES.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I don't have a hidey hole... but I have plenty of room for one. My whole house/grounds is our hidey hole - we live in the sticks.

I have thought of making one though just for fun - a bunker.
    It's on my long term plans. When I extend the garage to make the covered/enclosed outdoor kitchen, I was going to put in up to three 20' cargo containers in concrete under the slab. That would give me about 500 square feet.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post

Apparently the property was big enough and the growth heavy enough they just didn't bother looking at it even though they knew the trap door was there.
    I've been a natural snoop my whole life. When I was a kid the area I grew up in was dotted with abandoned farmhouses and a big spooky mansion that belonged to the Mead family (of Mead Paper fame). My buddies & I spent countless hours exploring them, along with a series of caves which were on a bluff overlooking a big creek which flowed a mile or so from my house. I've always had a lick of Tom Sawyer in me; finding something like a 50-yr-old Cold War fallout shelter on property I had bought....would be irresistable. And to think of those 29 cent bags of Butterscotch Bits just waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I've been a natural snoop my whole life. When I was a kid the area I grew up in was dotted with abandoned farmhouses and a big spooky mansion that belonged to the Mead family (of Mead Paper fame). My buddies & I spent countless hours exploring them, along with a series of caves which were on a bluff overlooking a big creek which flowed a mile or so from my house. I've always had a lick of Tom Sawyer in me; finding something like a 50-yr-old Cold War fallout shelter on property I had bought....would be irresistable. And to think of those 29 cent bags of Butterscotch Bits just waiting...
    Same here but it would have been the books and magazines I would have gone after. A lot of old abandoned farm houses had insulated with old newspapers and that is where I got the bug for old papers and history. It really brought me back as a kid in the late 50's to be reading about events happening when my grandparents were young. Cave, silo, barn, outhouse, feed mill, canned evaporated milk plant, didn't matter I had to check it out.

THUCYDIDES.