Thread: MAGNAPORT - anybody have a compensated pistol?

MAGNAPORT - anybody have a compensated pistol?

I want' to "tame" my Desert Eagle 50AE...

Here are my options:

1) Magnaport $125 for dual traps

Or

2) Magnum Research Industries factory compensator (but adds seven ounces and 1 1/2" length) $199

Magnaport claims "Recoil reduction is about 15 to 20% and muzzle jump is reduced about 30-50%." (and how can you really measure recoil reduction and muzzle jump, do they put it in a vice and measure "shock" or is just "perceived" reduction?)

I don't know what the reduction with the MRI muzzle brake is...

I don't see weight as being an issue for the muzzle brake (hahaha... just thought this would make a good "muzzie brake" too) as this won't be a carry gun, although with the additional length it will stick out the bottom of my black leather holster the 1 1/2"...

So, "Quien es mas macho"? I could go either way...
    Last edited by Mark Ducati; 11-07-2011 at 05:58 PM.

BTW, the last photo with the grim reaper... those are custom aluminum grips from MRI factory... here's the other option for factory made grips:

Also, my desert eagle is the new 2011 US made DE with the 8 slotted top rail, brushed chrome like the above pic with the grim reaper...
    Last edited by Mark Ducati; 11-07-2011 at 05:57 PM.

I have had a few pistols done by magnaport.

Very happy with their work !

I have a Springfield Armory model V-10 in .45. I like it.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I have had a 6" Python with Magana port and another 6" Pythong without the magna port. My impression was one of dissappointment in how little difference there was between the weapons. The best benefit was some reduced muzzle rise, maybe 20% give or take 5%.

It may be more effective on larger bore handguns like your DE .50 cal. especially as I see two ports on the one you want modded. It's not a ton of money one way or another, should help some.

I would go with the add on brake. That way it is still reversible and does not affect the value of the pistol in case you decide to sell and buyer doesn't want the added blast of porting. You may not like the blast and added noise yourself.

The muzzle brake is "kind of" reversible in that you can take it off... but you still have 3 permanent screw holes in the end of the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I have had a 6" Python with Magana port and another 6" Pythong without the magna port. My impression was one of dissappointment in how little difference there was between the weapons. The best benefit was some reduced muzzle rise, maybe 20% give or take 5%.

It may be more effective on larger bore handguns like your DE .50 cal. especially as I see two ports on the one you want modded. It's not a ton of money one way or another, should help some.
    they actually only say
    "Traditional Mag-na-porting of a handgun consists of two trapezoidal ports cut into the barrel approximately 1/2 inch from the muzzle. These ports are placed at approximately 35 to 45 degree angles. For the shooter this translates into a reduction of perceived recoil of 15 to 20%"
    The can actually adjust your port if your not happy My 686 6in only had one port on each side and it just didnt cut it so I send it back and had them put two ports on each side

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    they actually only say

The can actually adjust your port if your not happy My 686 6in only had one port on each side and it just didnt cut it so I send it back and had them put two ports on each side
    This was 1975, Magna Porting was new back then. Anyway I was hard pressed to tell any recoil reduction to my hand, but I could tell that the muzzle didn't flip up as high after a shot. I kept the ported Python and sold the other one. Wish I'd kept that one too, but that's the way it goes.