Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 19 vs Walther PPQ 9mm

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    A gunsmith???

Why would you need a gunsmith?

The Glocks are about the easiest gun ever made to work on and changing the trigger connector to a 3.5 lb. is a very simple "drop-in".
    Some people are scared of changing out the Glock connector (not me mind you) because of taking out all three pins, the trigger group, etc...

I just mentioned the Apex / M&P change out, because it's one pin to pop (with the tool built into the grip), and one tiny piece of metal to replace. It also makes the trigger reset just a couple of millimeters forward after the striker is released. My Glock 22 has a Ghost Rocket connecter, and I prefer the feel of the Apex in the M&P. It now feels like a Single Action pistol to me. The Glock's release is very mushy in comparison. My S&W is crisp after the sear install, probably because the replacement part is harder than the factory part...

It takes more effort (gunsmithing) to refine a Glock after a connector install. Having done both, that's my take.
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    Some people are scared of changing out the Glock connector (not me mind you) because of taking out all three pins, the trigger group, etc...

I just mentioned the Apex / M&P change out, because it's one pin to pop (with the tool built into the grip), and one tiny piece of metal to replace. It also makes the trigger reset just a couple of millimeters forward after the striker is released. My Glock 22 has a Ghost Rocket connecter, and I prefer the feel of the Apex in the M&P. It now feels like a Single Action pistol to me. The Glock's release is very mushy in comparison. My S&W is crisp after the sear install, probably because the replacement part is harder than the factory part...

It takes more effort (gunsmithing) to refine a Glock after a connector install. Having done both, that's my take.
    Yeah but you're doing competition with your Smith. That super speedy double tap, tripple tap thing might not be such a great attribute in a carry pistol. I like my Glock mush, you aren't shooting somebody by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Yeah but you're doing competition with your Smith. That super speedy double tap, tripple tap thing might not be such a great attribute in a carry pistol. I like my Glock mush, you aren't shooting somebody by accident.
    No, I want my guns, competition or no, to be the same universally. My M&P is my "go-to" handgun, over my SIGs, Glocks, etc... If I use it in competition, I'll use it in life. IDPA is more realistic than most of the other styles of competition, and tailored to defense rather than running and gunning with 700 magazines...

Be that as it may, 3.5lbs of mush, is still 3.5lbs... Logically speaking, you're still more likely than me to have an A/D, because it takes less pressure to fire! So, I guess I'm not understanding your point. I just want a crisp trigger. You carrying a Glock with a 3.5lb trigger, is no safer than me carrying an M&P with a crisp 4lb trigger. In either case, the trigger needs to be pulled in order for the gun to fire. I just prefer to be able to feel where the release is, and have a short reset. Having both, I've made my choice. That's all.

And, FWIW, I usually don't carry full size duty handguns. I live in Florida where clothing is at a minimum. They print too easily!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I've got Lone Wolf's newest 3.5 connector in my Glocks and it has a good crisp break without the mush of a stock trigger or of their early version. Coupled with a 6 lb return spring this makes for a very nice trigger not 3.5 lb, you need to to use a lighter striker spring for that, but a nice clean trigger in the 4-5 lb range. No problem at all for me to tell where it releases.

Not sure what you mean about the reset.

All Glocks even the stock triggers have a very short reset. If you're letting it go all the way forward you're not doing it right, just relax your finger a bit and it will reset. Once you get a feel for the reset point you can empty a Glock mag amazingly fast.

Never owned an M&P so I can't compare the two but my Glock's with the new LWD connector have a very satisfactory trigger feel to me.

No it's not a 1911 trigger but for a striker fired pistol this is a very good trigger set-up with a clean light break, almost no over travel, and like all Glocks a short reset.
    Last edited by weevil; 11-11-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    No, I want my guns, competition or no, to be the same universally. My M&P is my "go-to" handgun, over my SIGs, Glocks, etc... If I use it in competition, I'll use it in life. IDPA is more realistic than most of the other styles of competition, and tailored to defense rather than running and gunning with 700 magazines...

Be that as it may, 3.5lbs of mush, is still 3.5lbs... Logically speaking, you're still more likely than me to have an A/D, because it takes less pressure to fire! So, I guess I'm not understanding your point. I just want a crisp trigger. You carrying a Glock with a 3.5lb trigger, is no safer than me carrying an M&P with a crisp 4lb trigger. In either case, the trigger needs to be pulled in order for the gun to fire. I just prefer to be able to feel where the release is, and have a short reset. Having both, I've made my choice. That's all.

And, FWIW, I usually don't carry full size duty handguns. I live in Florida where clothing is at a minimum. They print too easily!
    Yes the trigger has to be pulled, but your gun has to be pulled a fraction of the distance from what you said. A Glock 3.5 LB. connector or not still is over 3/8ths inch of travel. Which BTW I have a stock connector at about 5 lbs. in my carry Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Yes the trigger has to be pulled, but your gun has to be pulled a fraction of the distance from what you said. A Glock 3.5 LB. connector or not still is over 3/8ths inch of travel. Which BTW I have a stock connector at about 5 lbs. in my carry Glock.
    No, I think you're missing what I'm saying. It still has the same travel length to pull the trigger initially, but after the striker is dropped, the slide does it's thing, then it is only a very short distance for the trigger to come forward to reset the sear. My Glocks do the same thing, but the distance is just a little longer. That's all...

I think you guys were totally missing what trigger reset is.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To me trigger reset is how far the trigger must travel back forward before you can pull it for the next shot.

On a lot of DA triggers this can be a long way, and if you don't let it all the way out and short stroke the trigger it will simply jam up the trigger. I recently fired a friends new Ruger LC9 and that has a long reset, I short stroked it several times. I also have a habit of doing this with my SP101 DAO during rapid-fire. It's another trigger with a really long reset, the trigger has to go back almost competely forward to reset.

Your M&P must have an amazing reset. The only trigger I've shot with a shorter reset than a Glock is a 1911 and that's a hammer-fired SA.

For me It's virtually impossible to short-stroke a Glock with it's short reset.

I've heard the M&P's have a nice trigger maybe I'll try one someday, you do make it sound impressive especially for a striker-fired pistol.
    Last edited by weevil; 11-12-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    To me trigger reset is how far the trigger must travel back forward before you can pull it for the next shot.
    Yup, that's exactly what it is...

...but, the factory trigger is not too great on the M&P. That's why I put the Apex sear in. The factory trigger can even be somewhat gritty. But I guess that's the fun of working on the firearms you have. Most 1911 owners tinker too, to make it the gun they want.

I love my Glock, and my SIGs, and my Rugers, etc. etc. etc... I've just gotten the M&P to the point that it's my favorite (currently).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah most factory triggers do leave a lot to be desired in just about any type of gun.

There's a whole industry that's built up making trigger parts to improve them.

Stiil you're not the only who I've heard tell that the M&P's trigger can be tuned to make it real sweet.

I've got a full-size or compact .40 on my want list I might try an M&P.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12