Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 vs Walther PPQ 9mm

Glock 19 vs Walther PPQ 9mm

I'm looking at getting one of the two of these.
    I'm a big Glock fan but the local gun store owner told me tonight that I should look into the PPQ as it's only $100 more and from what I've read a more durable sidearm.

so which do you all like better?

I do like the looks of Glocks better but the Walther is sounding pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Escobert View Post
    I'm looking at getting one of the two of these.
    I'm a big Glock fan but the local gun store owner told me tonight that I should look into the PPQ as it's only $100 more and from what I've read a more durable sidearm.

so which do you all like better?

I do like the looks of Glocks better but the Walther is sounding pretty nice.
    If it were me I would buy the Glock and spend the extra hunny on ammo.

I prefer the XD line for my Tactical Tupperware, but the Glock is an excellent weapon as well with TONS of real world experience. I would go Glock (or XD )
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

With Glocks come fun sticks!!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Glock is good. I've been using a 19 for concealed carry since 1991. I have 2 of them. They always go boom and I can hit anthing I aim it at more than well enough to kill it. They like 124 gr. and 147 gr. ammo best. 115 gr. ammo best be +P or it may stove pipe frequently.

The Walther is $100 more, let's see that's about 4 or 5, 15 round mags for the Glock 19. IMO you'd be better served to take that $100 and buy some mags and ammo and then go practice.

On Durable, I don't think there is a handgun that can out do a Glock, and Walthers I would not bet on to outlast a Glock 19. In 20 years of ownership I've had zero parts break on 3 Glocks, 2 19's and a 21. If something did break there are a host of after market parts that one can acquire to fix or enhance a stock Glock handgun. Firing pins, firing pin springs, connecters and trigger springs, slide stop / releases, mag release, tritium night sights, Hogue and ohter grip enhancers are available. Then again Glock has at least two distinct grip finishes, one that's very rough to the touch.

If it fits your hand and points well for you, go Glock. They are simple, robust, sure fire and defense accurate. They aren't target pistols, they are real world survival pistols.

thanks guys, I do really like the Glocks better, I've shot the 10mm and loved it except the ammo is way too expensive.

I'll probably go with the 19

the PPQ as it's only $100 more and from what I've read a more durable sidearm.
    I'd be interested in what specifically makes the PPQ more durable than the Glock. MAC recently did a review of the PPQ and it looks interesting, but the mag release is a deal breaker for me.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

Sold my Glocks and now prefer the S&W M&P line of handguns... The grip angle on the Glocks make my night/dark shooting "aim high," and since just about every firearm I now own is also a potential defensive/offensive weapon, I need my muscle memory to be universal to the firearms I might pick up. Love Glocks, just prefer others over them...
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    I'd be interested in what specifically makes the PPQ more durable than the Glock. MAC recently did a review of the PPQ and it looks interesting, but the mag release is a deal breaker for me.
    I guess from what I read that the PPQ has a metal trigger, the slide release button is bigger and the clip release button is also bigger. haven't held one so I don't know from experience. I would def want to shoot one before I made the decision to get it over the 19.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Shooter View Post
    Sold my Glocks and now prefer the S&W M&P line of handguns... The grip angle on the Glocks make my night/dark shooting "aim high," and since just about every firearm I now own is also a potential defensive/offensive weapon, I need my muscle memory to be universal to the firearms I might pick up. Love Glocks, just prefer others over them...
    I fel the same way about XD's, Glocks are still great (Amazing?) guns, I just really prefer how the XD shoots in my hands.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

You might want to also price spare magazines for the PPQ. Everywhere I've looked has them about twice the price of factory Glock magazines (about $50 vs. $25).

I guess from what I read that the PPQ has a metal trigger, the slide release button is bigger and the clip release button is also bigger. haven't held one so I don't know from experience. I would def want to shoot one before I made the decision to get it over the 19.
    These can all be installed in a Glock.

I have a $35 Apex sear in my M&P that has reduced the trigger pull down to 4lbs. This might be light to some, but since I use it for IDPA as well, it is amazing. Double and triple taps are in the milliseconds, with the barrel not rising at all. I know you can have a gunsmith do this with Glocks as well, but this sear was a simple drop in...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Also, there are a few issues that may or not be a problem with the mag release and slide release buttons being situated and styled as they are...

In a proper two-hand, thumb over thumb stance with the weapon, a longer, larger slide lock will many times cause the slide to not lock open on an empty mag. I've seen this happen on Walther P99s and HK USPs many times in competition. This can add a few seconds to mag changes since the shooter may not realize the weapon is dry...

The magazine release is also a different design than standard push buttons. As with the P99 and USP, it is an ambidextrous type that must be pushed down (under the trigger guard, and not in between the trigger and the grip) rather than pushed in. It's a lever, and not a button. It's a nice design, but if you're used to 20+ years of pushing a button in, your muscle memory might "get ya" in a heated situation. I have a Walther, and it's very easy to use (even with the trigger finger), but in the heat of the moment, one can forget.

Just a couple of things to think about...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are a lot of good polymer handguns out now. The best advice I can give is to handle each one too see if it suits you. I just heard of the PPQ today when I checked Youtube. There was a video review for it, and the guy seemed to really like it. If you have time to research this, go there and look up some videos on it.

I have a $35 Apex sear in my M&P that has reduced the trigger pull down to 4lbs. This might be light to some, but since I use it for IDPA as well, it is amazing. Double and triple taps are in the milliseconds, with the barrel not rising at all. I know you can have a gunsmith do this with Glocks as well, but this sear was a simple drop in...

I have a drop-in 3.5# connector in all my Glocks, and with a little flitz and some minor polishing at the right spots they run smooth as glass. Those M&P pistols are gaining a LE following as a Dept. issued duty pistol in this area. Smith has them very aggressively priced and those that I have spoken with that have them, like them.

The P99 was an awesome gun, this PPQ looks similar, but appears to have a mag release from PPS. I fondled a PPS before and the release felt idiotic.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Here is another video review of the PPQ.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I don't have to worry much about muscle memory as the only pistol I've ever owned was a 1911.

I'm leaning more towards the Glock like I've said for a few reasons: the price, reputation and customization. I wish I could watch some videos but I'm on some crap ass old wireless right now so it takes me about an hour to load a 10 minute youtube video maybe I can check some out tomorrow on my girlfriends moms computer.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

A gunsmith???

Why would you need a gunsmith?

The Glocks are about the easiest gun ever made to work on and changing the trigger connector to a 3.5 lb. is a very simple "drop-in".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast