Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Bang for the Buck (tactical shotgun)

Even if money is tight I think you would be better off saving up if you prefer a semi-auto...you will never be satisfied with a pump if you have your heart set on one. Remington 1100 can be found used in the 300-350 buck range for good guns if you are willing to look and wait. This one started out as a plain jane 1100 and is now my go to gun for competition...

26 inch barrel, 10+1 mag extension, SpeedFeed stock holds four rounds...

Back in the late 1990's I bought a Mossberg Maverick 88 with pistol grip and 18 1/2" barrel for $152. I added a Choate pistol grip/full stock (the 2nd version, similar to what Mossberg is using on their special models) for $45. It's a lot of bang for the buck. Now I need a 28" barrel with choke tubes.

Thanks for all the input. Other obligations got in the of this project. I'm just getting back into this.

It seems like you can't go wrong with the 870, 590a1, Beretta, or S12. I think it will come down to what I can find locally.

I'm not going crazy on add-ons, but a light is something I'm really leaning towards. If I got with the Beretta 1201FP, I can't get a surefire made for it. I don't like the idea of a Benelli version retro fit.

So, if I go with the 1201FP, but is a good light attachment I can add to it as I'm assuming a rail would not be a problem to add.

A word of caution on the beretta. I had one and sold it because it wasn't reliable with low recoil tactical rounds. Never tried hunting loads but I suspect it would be the same story.

I've owned and trained with a lot of shotguns in a lot of configurations and I would choose a mossberg 500 series or remmy 870 in 18.5" with standard stock any day of the week. I even went back to plain old bead sights.

I have an FN SLP. Magnificent. Mossberg 500 is THE best bang for the buck though. 590 if you want to be tactical.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    A word of caution on the beretta. I had one and sold it because it wasn't reliable with low recoil tactical rounds. Never tried hunting loads but I suspect it would be the same story.

I've owned and trained with a lot of shotguns in a lot of configurations and I would choose a mossberg 500 series or remmy 870 in 18.5" with standard stock any day of the week. I even went back to plain old bead sights.
    I started asking around on the Beretta, and I've heard that from a few people now - even going back to people's military days. I think that's enough to steer me away.

I'm getting scared of a ban on Saiga style boomsticks. I really may just get a bare bones model and pick up parts over time (as quickly as possible) before a ban hits. I can always make the mods whenever? Is that correct? I can still make the mods after a potential ban as long as I've PURCHASED all the parts pre-ban? Please confirm.

Along the lines of my previous thought, what all would be necessary to have in hand before a ban came into effect?

1) Shotgun itself
    2) Fire control group
    3) Pistol Grip/forend
    4) any rails?

Also, I saw the mississippi vendor, but where else do you all get your parts?

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelpwr View Post
    I can always make the mods whenever? Is that correct? I can still make the mods after a potential ban as long as I've PURCHASED all the parts pre-ban? Please confirm.
    to answer your question, probably not. when the awb went into effect, you couldnt legally put a bayonet lug on a pre-ban gun if it wasnt already there. im sure a new law on these would likely be the same way.

but, imo, first off, im sure there will be no way to prove that you DIDNT do it before the ban, should something happen and you do it afterwards, unless there a registration of some kind. second, calm down, nothings going to happen any time soon.

You're prob. right .... I tend to jump the gun when I get into things : )

Can anyone tell me what stock/PG that is? It looks like a side folder, but is it available in a fixed stock?
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=ready;214542]A word of caution on the beretta. I had one and sold it because it wasn't reliable with low recoil tactical rounds. Never tried hunting loads but I suspect it would be the same story.

I've got a friend who has a Beretta semi-auto shotgun that he bought years ago. He had the same problem with his, until he took it to a local shop. They enlarged the gas hole slightly, and it works better. I still think the Mossberg and Remington pumps are hard to beat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12