Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check out my new shootin' irons.............

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos
    Is the plunger for the loading lever system 36 cal or 44 cal?
    The plunger is a .36. I just measured it. What does that mean?
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

Quote Originally Posted by cciota View Post
    The plunger is a .36. I just measured it. What does that mean?
    A couple of things.

1st colt would never have done something like that on a production model

But, I've heard rumours of some replica company that actually did them in .44 on a "navy"....which may or may not be rare, but I think they would be. I've always seen them in .36 of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    A couple of things.

1st colt would never have done something like that on a production model

But, I've heard rumours of some replica company that actually did them in .44 on a "navy"....which may or may not be rare, but I think they would be. I've always seen them in .36 of course.
    I was reading where the Colt Army used the same frame as the Colt Navy but the Army was in .44. The thing that keeps throwing me off is that the Colt that I have , as you can see in the picture, has an octogon barrel and the 1860 Colt Army had a round barrel.

I just talked to my Dad and asked him when my Grandfather gave it to him. My Dad said he got it 40 years ago and my Mom said my Grandfather had it way before he gave it to my Dad.
    Last edited by cciota; 08-16-2010 at 03:39 PM.
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,

Iron Maiden

Quote Originally Posted by cciota View Post
    I was reading where the Colt Army used the same frame as the Colt Navy but the Army was in .44. The thing that keeps throwing me off is that the Colt that I have , as you can see in the picture, has an octogon barrel and the 1860 Colt Army had a round barrel.

I just talked to my Dad and asked him when my Grandfather gave it to him. My Dad said he got it 40 years ago and my Mom said my Grandfather had it way before he gave it to my Dad.
    Yeah the frames are pretty much the same, but the army has that step down milled for the larger caliber and some armys have the extra screws for the shoulder stock

But the army is a round barrel with a rather different more ornate look with the different lever system and contour.

nearly all of the Italian ones have a date code on the side either roman numerals or a pair of letters

here is a great resource on the markings for that
    https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    Yeah the frames are pretty much the same, but the army has that step down milled for the larger caliber and some armys have the extra screws for the shoulder stock

But the army is a round barrel with a rather different more ornate look with the different lever system and contour.

nearly all of the Italian ones have a date code on the side either roman numerals or a pair of letters

here is a great resource on the markings for that
    https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf
    Thanks for the info. My pistol has XX8 stamped in it so it was proof test in 1973. The other thing I noticed is that ".44 cal. Navy Colt" is stamped on the left side of the barrel. That, in it's self, is a contridiction. I just e-mailed Euroarms of Amaerica and see if they can give me any info. We'll se what that gets me.

Iron Maiden

Make sure you update us if you hear more from them.

They are neat and so fun to shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12