View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W

14 53.85%
  • Ruger

6 23.08%
  • Both

3 11.54%
  • None.

3 11.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger mini 14 Racch ~vs~ S&W M&P 15/22

Ruger mini 14 Racch ~vs~ S&W M&P 15/22

Which would you choose?
    Both are 223/556

Pros, cons.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Moebrown20; 08-14-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

S&W all the way for a host of reason; cheaper mags, easier to find mags, probably more accurate, more customization options, easier to mount optics on it, drop in replacment trigger groups from many makers, etc.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I chose S&W because it would probably stand up to prolonged use better than the Ruger. I have a Ruger Mini-30 that I love, but if push came to shove, I'd grab an AR over it any day.

I got the Mini-30 because...uh....uh.... Well, I have a Mini-30 just so I can say I have one. Oh yeah, I like the looks of it. There, I said it. I feel better now.

I have both.
    I will have to take them to the range and give them a quick run through together.
    In fairness, the AR has more options.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Besides the options mentioned, I'd NEVER own a Mini-anything Ruger makes.
    The Mini-14 is about as accurate as a blind man in a dust storm. A buddy of mine (and others) own one and we never could sight the thing in at 100 yds. It's the way the barrel is mounted in the stock. The barrel band causes the barrel to press against the stock. There's no way to rid your self of the band, because it's part of the gas system. Guy have spent hundreds of $$ to make it accurate to no avail.
    Put your $$ in an AR and you'll never look back. Trust me.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

AR all the way, just check out the price of good factory mags for both...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I own a S&W AR,and I have owned a Ruger Mini-14.

The best groups with hand-loads out of the mini was 3" open sights @ 100 yards.The S&W with Wolf would shoot 1-2" open sights.

Today shooting LC and Radway Green @100 yards the S&W was grouping 1" open sights.

You can pimp the AR out with all the cool gadget crap you want.Mags are dirt cheap.You can buy them for under $700 maybe build for less now.Easy swap of the upper for a different caliber.

The mini will cost as much as an AR,mags cost too much for good mags.Folks pimp out the mini like an AR until it weighs a ton.The mini functions and does the job it is intended to do.It falls into the good enough category if people would leave it alone instead of tactifying it.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

swampdragon
    Split the difference and get a Ruger 556.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Split the difference and get a Ruger 556.

At the price of that thing he could just get the SW and Mini

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

The S&W with out blinking. A lot more versatile then the ranch rifle. Why they don't put a real barrel on these is beyond me.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

I've got an older model Ranch Rifle. My SAR1 groups better than it.

From what I understand the newer Mini-14s have heavier barrels and a few other refinements that make them better in the accuracy department over the older models. However, even if that is the case, the magazines are still uber expensive, and they aren't the "cheaper" option that they used to be. ARs are just so much more versatile, and make better fiscal sense when viewed with the peripheral costs (IE magazines, spare parts).

S&W M&P 15 all the way.
    Last edited by AK-J; 08-15-2010 at 08:10 AM.

Just for the record, a S&W 15-22 is not .223. It's .22 Long Rifle.

The S&W 15 is .223
    - Change it back -

i didnt care for my mini and sold it and went black...minis are super loud also,they are very expensive usually just a couple hundred less thabn a nice ar

Quote Originally Posted by Faulkner View Post
    Just for the record, a S&W 15-22 is not .223. It's .22 Long Rifle.

The S&W 15 is .223
    I know, just typed too fast.
    I can't change the title.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    At the price of that thing he could just get the SW and Mini
    I didn't know this was about price.

Generally everything is about price

Guess I am the lone Ruger voter. I like the classic carbine looks and the way mine feels. I am not really interested in all the printerman stuff.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Guess I am the lone Ruger voter. I like the classic carbine looks and the way mine feels. I am not really interested in all the printerman stuff.
    That's the thing. When I first inherited mine, I found that I really liked the way it handled. Plus everyone has got to admit that they do look nice. If the accuracy out of the box was at least close to the standard AR, they still cost 2/3 to 1/2 of the price of an AR new, and the magazines were at least 30% cheaper my answer would be different.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Two votes for the Ruger. Not a nail driver but familiarity counts for a lot when you are in a hurry and reliability isn't a problem. Good enough for 100 yard coyotes easy to carry and I don't care if it gets bunged up a little being drug around the back of my Mule or through the brush. The 10 round magazines are enough for me but the 20 is always there if needed. Wouldn't mind one of the new ones though, it would be nice to get one that is tight shooting just because I like tight groups.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Two votes for the Ruger. Not a nail driver but familiarity counts for a lot when you are in a hurry and reliability isn't a problem. Good enough for 100 yard coyotes easy to carry and I don't care if it gets bunged up a little being drug around the back of my Mule or through the brush. The 10 round magazines are enough for me but the 20 is always there if needed. Wouldn't mind one of the new ones though, it would be nice to get one that is tight shooting just because I like tight groups.
    I'd say you need the 20 rd'ers to hit what a single shot from an AR would. JMHO and many others.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast