View Poll Results: Which would you choose?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W

14 53.85%
  • Ruger

6 23.08%
  • Both

3 11.54%
  • None.

3 11.54%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger mini 14 Racch ~vs~ S&W M&P 15/22

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    I'd say you need the 20 rd'ers to hit what a single shot from an AR would. JMHO and many others.
    I'd say you didn't read the whole post. What part of minute of coyote did you miss, not all Mini 14's are terrible and not all of them are as bad as their owners think they are. First to admit I wouldn't want to shoot a match with it and I did a lot better with a M-16. However all my personal guns are straight stocked standard receiver Fudd guns ranging from single shot break actions to semi autos like my M1 Garand. No transition period for me to switch from one gun to the other except to remember this one is a bolt, this is a lever, this is a semi, etc. I'm not saying this is a best choice but it is a good choice for me. Besides why would I need 20 rounds available. If I can't hit them with the first 10 I sure won't be any better with the next 10.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

You might want to look at a Saiga, they have the traditional stocks, are no less accurate then a mini and cost half the price with hi cap mags being the same or cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    I'd say you didn't read the whole post. What part of minute of coyote did you miss, not all Mini 14's are terrible and not all of them are as bad as their owners think they are. First to admit I wouldn't want to shoot a match with it and I did a lot better with a M-16. However all my personal guns are straight stocked standard receiver Fudd guns ranging from single shot break actions to semi autos like my M1 Garand. No transition period for me to switch from one gun to the other except to remember this one is a bolt, this is a lever, this is a semi, etc. I'm not saying this is a best choice but it is a good choice for me. Besides why would I need 20 rounds available. If I can't hit them with the first 10 I sure won't be any better with the next 10.
    Great point. My mini-14 is a tack driver, If you can't hit anything, you can't hit anything.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Great point. My mini-14 is a tack driver, If you can't hit anything, you can't hit anything.
    I've owned 2 minis over the years.
    Neither was a tack driver beyond 25 yards.
    And I'm a very good shot with other firearms.
    If you say your mini is a tack driver, then you must have that 1 in 20 billion gun.
    Or, our idea of tack driver must be different by quite a bit.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    In my case depending on what I shoot it can be anything from 3" to 6" at 100 yards or minute of coyote. At 50 yards its easy minute of rabbit. At 200 yards About half of my shots on a standard silhouette target. Good enough if its all you had handy for defending the homestead just not a sniper gun you would use to take out the commander of the enemy forces at 300 yards. Probably end up shooting the cook instead of Mon Generale', then you really have the bad guys mad at you.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    I've owned 2 minis over the years.
    Neither was a tack driver beyond 25 yards.
    And I'm a very good shot with other firearms.
    If you say your mini is a tack driver, then you must have that 1 in 20 billion gun.
    Or, our idea of tack driver must be different by quite a bit.
    My idea of a tack driver is I hit at what I shoot. I know a lot of you guys consider it a miss, if you half moon the previous shots mark at 478 yards and a 17 mph cross wind. I do not. A 2 in group with iron sights at 100 yds, is good shooting.

I guess is what I am trying to say is it depends on what you are trying to do. When I got my NRA Pro Marksman medal I was shooting 5 shot groups that
    you could cover with a dime. During another occasion when I wanted to rapid fire a SKS, I hung a 12x12 target at 50 yds and fired on the target as fast as I could. After I retrieved the target one of the other shooters asked me, in a rather annoyed way, what the hell was the point of that? I simply held up the target in front of my chest and he said " oh I see" as all the rounds had hit on the target and would have been heart and lung shots.

Ok, I recant that my mini-14 is a "tack driver" but it works very well for the things I would use it for.
    Last edited by l921428x; 08-17-2010 at 05:49 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12