Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shtf weapons in California or New Jersey

I think the most realistic scenario is a Rodney King riot or Hurricane Katrina type event.

You should at least have a plan on how to deal with several attackers.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I think the most realistic scenario is a Rodney King riot or Hurricane Katrina type event.

That's what I'm thinking of too, when I think about a SHTF scenario. I'm not a fantasy world kinda guy, who thinks that I'm going to grab an M-60 and play RAMBO in the woods. I feel pretty comforable with what I have, and it never hurts to have a semi-auto rifle, just in case a few armed looters come knocking on my door. I doubt that I would ever have to use my AK, or other semi-autos if SHTF. I'll most likely be out in the woods looking for game, if it even lasts that long.

Global economic collapse might make the Rodney King riots and Hurricane Katrina look like a block party. 50% permanent unemployment, 100+ % price hikes, and worthless entitlement checks could make Rambo scenarios quite possible. And we haven't even begun to discuss an overthrow of the Constitution by the democratic communists or an intentional depopulation of the world.

Shotguns are great against 3-4 attackes within 25 yards, any more threats or any greater ranges and those semi auto rifles/carbines will come in handy.
    Last edited by American Rage; 11-21-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    Global economic collapse might make the Rodney King riots and Hurricane Katrina look like a block party. 50% permanent unemployment, 100+ % price hikes, and worthless entitlement checks could make Rambo scenarios quite possible. And we haven't even begun to discuss an overthrow of the Constitution by the democratic communists or an intentional depopulation of the world.

Shotguns are great against 3-4 attackes within 25 yards, any more threats or any greater ranges and those semi auto rifles/carbines will come in handy.
    The thing about today's statistics is that attackers are already assaulting in groups. Before you would most likely get mugged by 1 guy now there seems to be a whole group of them. If there is anyone you should worry about it's those protesters on wall st. and not economic collapse. Don't get me wrong I probably wouldn't mind reaching for my AK 47 either but I don't know if it would be a primary. Any thing within 30-100yards is more than likely going to see "violence of action" and not fire power.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post
    The thing about today's statistics is that attackers are already assaulting in groups. Before you would most likely get mugged by 1 guy now there seems to be a whole group of them. If there is anyone you should worry about it's those protesters on wall st. and not economic collapse. Don't get me wrong I probably wouldn't mind reaching for my AK 47 either but I don't know if it would be a primary. Any thing within 30-100yards is more than likely going to see "violence of action" and not fire power.
    I feel quite safe where I'm currently at, of course things can change. Even so, I'm in a good spot as far as suburban life goes, again that is "currently."

At least you have a plan...That is the important thing

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

No matter what gun you have.....

you need to shoot the guy with the camera first. Liberals like to film mass killings, even though you are trying to save you life, to make gun owners look bad.

I don't worry about riots in the streets where I live or at my hideouts. Mob rule starts to fall apart when bodies start dropping around them. Plus, I don't have anything worth dying for anyway.....chris3

Do you plan on taking out zombies or fighting the taliban? See this is why SHTFers like myself take crap from so many people because of the few that anticipate going into call of duty combat. Too many people watching the walking dead or playing first person shooting games. With no surprise these are also the same people that call ak47s and ar's "assault rifles."
    Cute. But a .308 blot is perfect for NJ, as the OP wants something that is multipurpose, and it does not get more multipurpose than a bolt action rifle in a decent caliber.

I did not know that advocating a bolt action "hunting rifle" in NJ would make me a "call of duty" gamer or "wannabe" in your book, or did I misunderstand you?

( Btw I dont play video games, airsoft, etc.)
    Plus 200 posts or so as IZZY from MN.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Oh really, I didn't know that those "bullet buttons," could be taken out. Are M1 Garands and M1 carbines legal in California?
    Yes. I lived in CA when I bought both my Garand and my Carbine. The problem is that you have to find 10 round Carbine magazines. They are out there, but they are more expensive.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Cute. But a .308 blot is perfect for NJ, as the OP wants something that is multipurpose, and it does not get more multipurpose than a bolt action rifle in a decent caliber.

I did not know that advocating a bolt action "hunting rifle" in NJ would make me a "call of duty" gamer or "wannabe" in your book, or did I misunderstand you?

( Btw I dont play video games, airsoft, etc.)
    It's about as cute as it is reasonable. What? You think because you have more accuracy and more range that people are just going to stand still for you? What kind of time frame does it take you to get into a shooting position, line up your sights, make elevation adjustments and take the shot. Will they even still be around? I hate to offend your delicate sensibility but it does make me believe you are not thinking rationally. To automatically engage a target is a "gamers" way of thinking when in reality the SAFEST thing you can do is take cover, find another route and evade and escape. Automatically deciding to engage is not safe or effective. Survival is about putting yourself in the least amount of crap and not taking unnecessary risks. Unless your one of the run and gun type guys but there is no "re-spawn" like you see in the games.

How is a shot gun not multipurpose? You can defend yourself and hunt with it since most white tail are taken at less than 100 yards.

+1 a thousand times. The best way to deal with trouble is not to go looking for it but also being prepared to deal with it when it finds you.

In a SHTF situation you won't have an ambulance 10 minutes away to haul your ass to the ER when you get shot trying to be a cowboy. Lately I have been thinking that during a SHTF the best weapon is a handgun concealed on your person. I think walking down the street with a rifle slung over your shoulder will draw too much attention.

You need to look as desperate and miserable as everyone else.

It's about as cute as it is reasonable. What? You think because you have more accuracy and more range that people are just going to stand still for you? What kind of time frame does it take you to get into a shooting position, line up your sights, make elevation adjustments and take the shot. Will they even still be around? I hate to offend your delicate sensibility but it does make me believe you are not thinking rationally. To automatically engage a target is a "gamers" way of thinking when in reality the SAFEST thing you can do is take cover, find another route and evade and escape. Automatically deciding to engage is not safe or effective. Survival is about putting yourself in the least amount of crap and not taking unnecessary risks. Unless your one of the run and gun type guys but there is no "re-spawn" like you see in the games.

How is a shot gun not multipurpose? You can defend yourself and hunt with it since most white tail are taken at less than 100 yards.

Ruger Mini-14

I belive if you have 5-10 round mags for this guy you are good to go. No bullet button... no crazy stocks. Just a rock solid & reliable carbine.

The new 580 series mini is quickly becomming my favorite autoloader.
    Last edited by gpwasr10; 11-23-2011 at 05:13 PM.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

It's about as cute as it is reasonable. What? You think because you have more accuracy and more range that people are just going to stand still for you? .
    Same can be said for a shotgun. Please see the youtube vids on the myths that you believe in.

What kind of time frame does it take you to get into a shooting position, line up your sights, make elevation adjustments and take the shot. Will they even still be around? I hate to offend your delicate sensibility but it does make me believe you are not thinking rationally.
    This PROVES you do not know how to use a rifle . A scoped .308 rifle will be sighted in at a given range, say 200 yards....at 300 yards you will be only about 6 inches low, easy to hit a man sized target or compensate for...at 100 yards you will be 2" high. NO need to ADJUST anything at those ranges. Go back to my post and READ what I wrote...yep I wrote about 300 yards/meters.

To automatically engage a target is a "gamers" way of thinking when in reality the SAFEST thing you can do is take cover, find another route and evade and escape. Automatically deciding to engage is not safe or effective. Survival is about putting yourself in the least amount of crap and not taking unnecessary risks. Unless your one of the run and gun type guys but there is no "re-spawn" like you see in the games.
    NEVER did I say, or write, anything like that. Your use of words like "automatically engage target" and "re-spawn" make me think YOU are a (former?) gamer.

This is not deer hunting we were discussing, this was supposed to be "SHTF" in NJ.
    Last edited by Izzy; 11-23-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Look at my posts, I never said anything like what alpha-phalus claims I said

+1 a thousand times. The best way to deal with trouble is not to go looking for it but also being prepared to deal with it when it finds you.

In a SHTF situation you won't have an ambulance 10 minutes away to haul your ass to the ER when you get shot trying to be a cowboy. Lately I have been thinking that during a SHTF the best weapon is a handgun concealed on your person. I think walking down the street with a rifle slung over your shoulder will draw too much attention.

You need to look as desperate and miserable as everyone else.
    I never said you should "walk down the street with a rifle slung over your shoulder" nor did alpha-male advovcate walking around with a shot gun. Both will make you a "rambo" in NEW JERSEY, and other parts of the USA.

I would "shelter in place" under most local or national emergency situations.

IOW protect your family and stick together. Being able to effectively defend past 50 yards is just a nice option to have. "SHTF" can mean diffrent things to diffrent people, as well "SHTF" can include many diffrent types of local or national emergencies.

As for a CCW, I am all for that, but the OP was asking about NEW JERSEY. Why dont you look up the laws there and tell me how easy it would be to get a CCW permit in NJ? How about even a handgun purchase permit?
    Last edited by Izzy; 11-23-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Edited to stand up to the real agressors

Yeah so... Yeah..

I like as I said the Mini-14 for those states. I also dig the idea of a good .44 Mag levergun and revolver combo. Like a Marlin 1894SS and a Ruger Redhawk in Stainless. Perfect combo allowing you to hunt any game in either state, and adequately defend yourself as well, without raising to many eyebrows for your "old cowboy guns". Seeing you are in an anti gun state (CA or NJ) this is an important point. And, of course, the other nice thing about this combo is "2 guns 1 ammo".
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Same can be said for a shotgun. Please see the youtube vids on the myths that you believe in. This PROVES you do not know how to use a rifle . A scoped .308 rifle will be sighted in at a given range, say 200 yards....at 300 yards you will be only about 6 inches low, easy to hit a man sized target or compensate for...at 100 yards you will be 2" high. NO need to ADJUST anything at those ranges. Go back to my post and READ what I wrote...yep I wrote about 300 yards/meters. NEVER did I say, or write, anything like that. Your use of words like "automatically engage target" and "re-spawn" make me think YOU are a (former?) gamer. This is not deer hunting we were discussing, this was supposed to be "SHTF" in NJ.
    Myths? You honestly believe that one of America's most widely used utility firearm just happened because marketing said so? You can't make this crap up. You said you wouldn't walk with a rifle slung over your shoulder yet you talk about taken people out at 300m. So what are you going to be playing sniper? If that guy has a rifle as well then what? You 2 just going to play cowboy and shoot it out? How many rounds does a bolt rifle carry? In what situation would you be in that you would decide to fire at someone 300 yards away that probably doesn't know your there in the first place? What scenario are you thinking about that would require such action? So you put him down and then what? Assuming y'all are held up somewhere everyone around you heard the shot and is looking for something they don't have but now know you have something worth fighting for. Congratulations you now have the attention of everyone around you.

Again working things out and not drawing attention to yourself is most important. You say you would

IOW protect your family and stick together.
    So it's wise to fire at someone 300m away who probably cant see you instead of just keeping quite and letting danger pass you by. No, you would rather be the big bad hero and take an unnecessary risk. Congratulations you just put your family at risk.

As I said before not taking unnecessary risk and not putting yourself in shit situations is SHTF 101. I don't understand why you will be firing at someone 300m, 200m or 100m out if they don't even know your there. If they do then as I said...Then what? You guys just going to duke it out sending rounds back and forth wasting ammo? What good is that going to do you?

If SHTF deer make a good source of food...You know that stuff that keeps your body going. In a natural disaster the first thing that smart people load up on is ice. With no electricity or generators food goes bad real quick so it is an option for that kind of situation. I'm not saying put on the camo gear, scent killer and find a tree to hold up in but the key to SHTF is taking advantage of ANY opportunity. If I'm not mistaken y'all had a huge storm that either turned just in time or downgraded in intensity as it hit the east coast.

I used the term automatically and engaged because they are words used to make my point. Automatically - meaning acting upon with out conscious means and engage - meaning taking action upon an external influence. My friends tried to get me into that call of duty stuff and modern warfare but I like being outside and doing things. Apparently I sucked at it too so that wasn't much help.

gpwasr10,
    I love the .44mag as well because of it's power even if you run out of bullets you can still use it to beat the fear of God in people. However, I seriously doubt any of my family members I would have in a SHTF situation would be willing to handle the recoil . I'm some what partial to the .357 myself because it still has enough balls for any situation and my family is familiar with it. It doesn't hurt that it's 1 gun that shoots 2 ammo cartridges.
    Last edited by Alpha_Male; 11-24-2011 at 01:53 AM.

The .357 would work as well as a pistol/revolver combo. That being said, I would go with the Mini-14 and a good 9mm/.40/.45 (I like XD's but to each his own) sidearm for sure if recoil was an issue in your group, and you wanted to create a family of weapons in either Jersey or CA (hell anyplace for that matter).
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Myths? You honestly believe that one of America's most widely used utility firearm just happened because marketing said so? You can't make this crap up. You said you wouldn't walk with a rifle slung over your shoulder yet you talk about taken people out at 300m.
    Yes. It is a myth that a legal 18" cylinder bore shotgun will spread enough to make missing difficult in defensive situations. 18" barrels with at least a cylinder bore has been the law since 1933 ( unless you apply for permits).

Defending a fixed position (Homestead!) can be done, no need to leave ones property to do what needs to be done. Having the abilty, if need be is an asset. You built a straw man argument to attack me.
    Last edited by Izzy; 11-24-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    The .357 would work as well as a pistol/revolver combo. That being said, I would go with the Mini-14 and a good 9mm/.40/.45 (I like XD's but to each his own) sidearm for sure if recoil was an issue in your group, and you wanted to create a family of weapons in either Jersey or CA (hell anyplace for that matter).
    Throw in a shotgun, and I think you hit it on the nail. The mini-14 is an acceptable substitute, and can give a real advantage. The 357 and 44 combos were good advice, as well as the basic pistol rounds.

If I lived in one of the commie states, I'd probably go Mini-14, 12 ga pump, and the best midweight caliber(s) (38/357, 9mm, .40, 45) I could get good deals on. Just pick one and go from there.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

am i the only one who thinks that alpha_male has no real world experiences with any types of firearms other than what his x-box has told him?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast