Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
Throw in a shotgun, and I think you hit it on the nail. The mini-14 is an acceptable substitute, and can give a real advantage. The 357 and 44 combos were good advice, as well as the basic pistol rounds.

If I lived in one of the commie states, I'd probably go Mini-14, 12 ga pump, and the best midweight caliber(s) (38/357, 9mm, .40, 45) I could get good deals on. Just pick one and go from there.
Not a defensive shotgun guy myself... mostly because I firmly believe that a man with a good carbine simply outguns a guy with a shotgun (ask any cop), and so for a survivalist in either state (especially one on a budget) I would go with a 10/22 as a small game getter instead of the shotgun. I know that (as Shutz puts it) it's the best way to down birds "on the wing", it's use is almost limited to it and lets face it, IF you are on the move... you are not going to take the heavy shotgun platform over a 10/22 and a Mini-14.

Also, I would like to add that I believe that today's Mini is far more then an "acceptable" substitute... my 580 series mini has shown my it is the equal to any Semi Auto currently in production in all arenas save the ability to locate spares (the AR is simply in a league of it's own in this regard.). That being said, this is a very robust platform and seems built to last.