Thread: Why Every Shooter Should Own a Ruger 10/22

Thumbs up Why Every Shooter Should Own a Ruger 10/22

Why Every Shooter Should Own a Ruger 10/22
    Review Uncategorized - 11.19.2011

Story by: Jim Downey
    Past Articles (37)
    Follow

There are a few guns that should be found in every firearms-owner’s collection and the Ruger 10/22 rifle is one. I grew up with the Ruger 10/22, which first came out in 1964, just a few years after I was born. I don’t remember whether it was the first .22 I ever shot, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was. But it was one of the first guns I more or less took completely apart and then managed to put back together.

And that, right there, explains a large part of why the 10/22 has been so successful: not only is it a very good, very reliable, reasonably priced firearm, but it is easy to take apart and to put back together again with only a few tools and a modicum of mechanical ability. That means that pretty much anyone who owns one can repair or alter it fairly easily. And that means that a huge after-market range of parts and accessories has blossomed for the 10/22 over the decades.

Do an image search for the 10/22 and you will be astounded at the variety of configurations which is possible with this gun. Almost anything you’d want your 10/22 to do or look like can be done. Turn it into a very high-end target rifle. Make it look like an AR-15 or a Thompson sub-machine gun. Add a muzzle break, or a 50-round magazine, or lights or scopes or beautiful custom stocks. Configure it like some strange weapon from the future. Use it for teaching, plinking, hunting, or competition.

And all the while it still shoots the .22 long rifle cartridge, perfect to teach with, to hunt small game with, to challenge yourself with while remaining very inexpensive.

Currently Ruger offers five varieties of the 10/22: Carbine, Target, Compact, Sporter, and Tactical. All can be customized to your heart’s content. Basic models can be found new on sale for well under $200. Well used, you can find them for much less.

Since the gun can be customized to such a degree, I’ll talk about what I like about shooting the most basic model: a Carbine version. The reason is it only has simple iron sights. I keep it simple because I find that it is less intimidating to new shooters that way, and it reminds me of shooting one when I was a kid.

The gun is light, and can be handled by anyone of almost any age or physical condition. The sights are simple and intuitive. Loading the stock 10 round rotary magazine is straight-forward, and the magazine can only be placed in the gun in one way. Charging the chamber is easy. The safety is simple and easy to reach. The trigger is crisp and clean. Recoil is negligible.

Cleaning? Well, I know people who literally never clean their 10/22, and who haven’t had problem with function in years of heavy shooting. Me, I like to clean my guns after every outing, and routine cleaning the 10/22 is a basic and educational matter for new shooters. If you want to get into a detail cleaning, once again the simple design and construction of the 10/22 means that you can disassemble it with minimal tools.

It comes down to this: if you don’t own a 10/22, you should. You owe it to yourself and everyone you’d ever like to introduce to shooting.

http://www.guns.com/why-every-shoote...uger-1022.html

Senior Member Silicon Wolverine's Avatar

my all weather carbine has 130,000+ rounds down the pipe with minimal repairs and over 10 years of HARD service in every harsh enviroment South Dakota can offer. Its never failed me when i feed it with good magazines.

SW

I've got a 10/22 which I love. But I got to tell you that my Marlin Model 60 was more accurate and had a greater range. I gave the Marlin to my nephew and have been kickin' myself in the ass ever since.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

The blogger forgot the model that looks like an AR-15.

I love mine but I would amend the statement to "every shooter should have a .22LR carbine" as there are so many good ones out there.

You can applaud the 10-22 and I will join in but it's not the end all.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

I've had one for years, need to get it to the range now that I think about it. I see Ruger is now making factory, 25rd mags with stainless steel feed lips that can be disassembled for cleaning and I presume, parts replacement. May have to try them and see how they compare to my Butler Creek mags.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I have a few versions of the 10/22, great rifle but then I am into .22LR chambering. There are a lot of really great .22 rifles out there. My 'go to' .22 is a 10/22 stainless rifle with the longer barrel.
    Last edited by Texas Soldado; 12-19-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

I have several, all are purpose built.

Cheap practice for my house gun is the benefit of my M1 Carbine 10/22...

My heavy was done for target work...very accurate and great at 100 yards...

My ultralight build is great in the woods and on the trail...

and then you have the 10/22 that Ruger didn't build, this one was built by me as the host of a Thompson integrally suppressed barrel...

Last edited by 451 Detonics; 01-23-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 451 Detonics View Post
    I have several, all are purpose built.

Cheap practice for my house gun is the benefit of my M1 Carbine 10/22...

I love that M! carbine replica. Is that factory or a build?

You can buy the stock and sights aftermarket.

http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    I've got a 10/22 which I love. But I got to tell you that my Marlin Model 60 was more accurate and had a greater range. I gave the Marlin to my nephew and have been kickin' myself in the ass ever since.
    AR - I had a Marlin Golden 39A lever that I was forced to "dispose of" 21 years ago. The thing I liked about it was that I could put Shorts, Longs, OR LongRifles in that gun and it would fire them all without a hitch. Mechanically, it was stronger as it had the double rails to lift and insert the ammo from the tube magazine. I could get 30 shorts or 19 LRs in that thing.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

My first 22 was a 10-22 1976 Liberty Model with deluxe hand checkered walnut stock!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

10/22s...I have 4.
    One is in a complete Ramline folding stock set with QD takedown kit.
    The second was a impulse buy that I bought based on serial number. Its the 21st gun made with a prefix of 110-. The 21st time a prefix serial number was used.
    Its currently sporting a ER Shaw Custom bull barrel with threaded end for my suppressor.
    The other 2 are in an original calico 2-22 Weapons System.. One of the Original dual gun hand crank guns.

I love the 10/22. I have a book on them showing serial number specs and experimental guns including a modle made for Special Forces back in the 60s that had a bolt hold close lever for supperssor use.

I always try to steer people towards the Ruger 10/22 if they are looking for a 22 for their teen son or daughter, telling them that it will grow with them and informing them about how its the most accessorized 22 in the world.

Its NOT the end all of the 22 world. But its a VERY good gun that can handle anything you can throw at it, and if not you can repalce that part.
    You can buy a used 10/22 at a pawn shop for about $125, or you can build you own clone without using a single Ruger part, with the latest and highly accurised items for over $4000.

Its all up to you.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 10-13-2012 at 12:07 AM.

I've got a few of them. One is a rather old one with a pewter butt plate. Also, don't count out the 96/22. It's the lever action version that uses the same magazine as the 10/22.

I like the .22 rifles milled from steel and real walnut stocks. My old 1950s Marlin Mountie fills my needs.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I have 2 10/22's but I would trade them and 9 of my other 10 for one Anschultz match 22 bench rifle. I was looking for a match Remington when I got the first one I have now. Nice rifle but I would still rather have the Remington.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.