Thread: Any of you guys hunt with a crossbow?

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Any of you guys hunt with a crossbow?

If so, what do you use?

TIA.
    Returns June 3rd.

No one, really?

Guess I'll have to go it alone!
    Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Horton Pro 175 with a detachable hand crank to cock it because my old shoulders don't work that good anymore. Topped with a Horton 4x32 scope because old eyeballs have a hard time picking up those pegs in bad light and it never seems to be bright ans sun shiny when I go out. I preferred my Bear recurve but those days are gone now and as long as I qualify for the crossbow I can keep on flinging sticks with sharp pointy things on the end of them.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Horton Pro 175 with a detachable hand crank to cock it because my old shoulders don't work that good anymore. Topped with a Horton 4x32 scope because old eyeballs have a hard time picking up those pegs in bad light and it never seems to be bright ans sun shiny when I go out. I preferred my Bear recurve but those days are gone now and as long as I qualify for the crossbow I can keep on flinging sticks with sharp pointy things on the end of them.
    Cool! I'm going to get one because with all the titanium I'm packing around, it'll be easy to get the okay from the MCD.

Mainly I'm wanting to take advantage of our 4 month long archery deer season.

Right now I'm looking at rigs from Parker, Excalibur and Wicked Ridge.

Our local mom and pop archery shops don't cater much to the crossbow hunter, because you have to get a Doctors exemption to use them, so not much demand I guess. But, Bass Pro carries several, and our local shop will order the Parker's.

I love the idea of Deer season starting in mid September and not ending until mid January!

OG, do you hunt much with your Horton? Has it been dependable?
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    OG, do you hunt much with your Horton? Has it been dependable?
    Dependable yes. I broke my old one when I let the bolt on the arm get loose and it literally blew up when I was trying to restring it. Parts all over my shop It was a Barnett 150 pound Xbow and while the fault was mine I was still a bit disappointed in it. It had a tendency to string the bolts vertically but that was probably because I screwed up putting it together.

I like this one because it shoots pretty consistent groups and with the scope I can get on target pretty quick. I limit myself to 35 yards and I can use it for turkey and deer. So far it's still a cherry. Mostly because I can't get out and walk the woods and get to the good places like I used to. I set up my blind as best I can and then have to wait, hope and pray. It's a heavy sucker but that's okay, it sits still in my arms in offhand shooting.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

You know, I had a guy on another hunting forum tell me yesterday that he had had a bad experience with a Barnett unit. His had issues straight from the box, so he sent it back and bought a 10 Point. I wouldn't mind trying a 10 Point crossbow, but they're kinda pricey.

I really want to look at the Excalibur's. I think I like the idea of the simpler recurve design.
    Returns June 3rd.

Leonardabel
    As general perception lot of peoples likes hunt so they utilize crossbow so we will be remind all aspects and having a best role in life so we will be ready for best and be motivate all stages.

I'm trying but I have no idea what you just said.

THUCYDIDES.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Texas Parks and Wildlife only recently allowed the usage of crossbows. First it was not an option, then only to those with an impairment of upper body strength or some shit like that. Then it was only allowed during rifle season. Now it is open during bow and rifle season.

I used to bow hunt then my bow was stolen. I have not gotten back into archery since. A lost art and skill I would not mind falling back on. Not to hunt earlier but as a bit of challenge to the hunt.

I used to not see much point in using a crossbow when a rifle is much more efficient. I can see the usage in a short range limited acreage hunting land. The price of a good rig both bow and crossbow can set you back as much as a good rifle with good glass.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardabel View Post
    As general perception lot of peoples likes hunt so they utilize crossbow so we will be remind all aspects and having a best role in life so we will be ready for best and be motivate all stages.
    English? Do you speak it?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.