Thread: Available Turks For Sale

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Available Turks For Sale

Are all the turks dried up or can you still buy one?
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

You don't see any advertized except in online ads once in a while. Then they want as much for them as you pay for the nearly-new Yugo varians that are more plentiful. Pawnshops are about the same. Gunshows will have one or two that are in serviceable condition but aren't all that pretty. They go for around 100 bucks where the guy doesn't think he's selling pre-64 Model 70's.

I am glad i got some when i did. We take stuff for granted when it is plentiful. The old saying you don't know what you missed till its gone holds true.

Quote Originally Posted by aliceinchains View Post
    I am glad i got some when i did. We take stuff for granted when it is plentiful. The old saying you don't know what you missed till its gone holds true.
    Me too. Same for all that Turk ammo everybody criticized and nobody wanted until it was gone. Glad I stacked that deep when it was cheap as well.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
    Me too. Same for all that Turk ammo everybody criticized and nobody wanted until it was gone. Glad I stacked that deep when it was cheap as well.
    That ammo is scary hot and high pressure. Most of ot Chorongraphs at 3200 fps and faster. Brittle cases and signs the powder is breaking down to powder made me very hesitant about buying and shooting it. I used a couple of bandoleers of it and skipped selling it to my customers. I really don't think it's all that safe especially after I saw it blow up a 1919 MG at Knob Creek running it. Bent the top cover into a V shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    That ammo is scary hot and high pressure. Most of ot Chorongraphs at 3200 fps and faster. Brittle cases and signs the powder is breaking down to powder made me very hesitant about buying and shooting it. I used a couple of bandoleers of it and skipped selling it to my customers. I really don't think it's all that safe especially after I saw it blow up a 1919 MG at Knob Creek running it. Bent the top cover into a V shape.

Now the brittle cases would be a big problem and will continue to be. Brittle brass can't take this type of pressure. That is about the equivalent of a magnum load what Schuetz has posted. So now what ?

I would suggest only shooting in bolt actions with excellent head space. If there is any indication of split brass or a gas leak that hits you in the face upon firing. Then stop and throw away the rest of the ammo. A good reason why to wear shooting glasses

This ammo needs to be addressed more. Before some one really gets hurt.
    Last edited by aliceinchains; 08-19-2010 at 03:04 PM.

I thought about letting the topic ride, but I don't want to seem like the sound advice given above is getting the brushoff.

I respect what Schuetz and Alice have posted and agree that indicators such as splits and deteriorating powder should be heeded as safety risks. This Turk Ammo is loaded hot, but (without citing articles and posts I've seen over the years about it) it's not done to a severe degree. I feel pretty comfortable using it within good safety parameters. The rifles we use have good headspace and other than the stiff recoil attendant to such loads, the ammo exhibits no sign of overpressure such as gas bypass or primer flattening. The powder looks and smells similar to any other surplus 7.92 powder we've opened rounds to look at. I know that's not scientific, but it is one way to quick-check for deterioration.

Come to think of it, the recoil we note from our stocks is not that much worse than other current Euro manufacture, my own "by-the-book" reloads or older surplus we've tried. As you're probably aware, U.S. commercial 8MM has customarily been down-loaded to account for the risk that it might be fired in an older .318 bore or in worn-out bringbacks from overseas. I don't know if that may be the reason for the recoil disparity spoken of by some who use 8MM's.

I might have our rifles chrony'd with the various ammo we use just to be sure.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Sportsman's guide has had older examples for sale as "antiques" for around $350 IIRC.

I had several at one time - man were they a bitch to clean! Dirty dirty dirty but once you cleaned em up they were good solid mausers. I still have one. I put a swede front sight blade on it and man can it shoot! Loves Romanian steel cased ammo.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

FWIW the guys on Mauser Central were taking shot out Turk actions and rebarreling them with 6.5x55 barrels. They call them Tweeds...
    Last edited by awp101; 09-28-2010 at 07:10 PM.
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

gunbroker...

Check gunbroker - I did a quick search for turkish mauser and come up with a list of them - most way over priced but here's one with a very low starting bid (currently $21) and no reserve: (no, this is not me - but it is in Texas) - no mention of bore condition but probalby looks like a sewer pipe - all of mine did and all cleaned up with strong rifling and became good shooters...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=193152039

~Nemo me impune lacessit~