Thread: The boys want to go squirrel hunting Friday.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

The boys want to go squirrel hunting Friday.

My kids are off from school till this coming Monday, and they've decided they want to do some squirrel hunting. So, I guess I'll take em out Friday. I know a great spot that has both red and grey squirrels in abundance. Shouldn't be hard, given some time, to get a nice mess of squirrels.

I'll take the camera and bring back some pictorial evidence.
    Returns June 3rd.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

What kind of food do you like to make with squirrels?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Anyway, like I was sayin', squirrel is the fruit of the woods. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, squirrel-kabobs, squirrel creole, squirrel gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple squirrel, lemon squirrel, coconut squirrel, pepper squirrel, squirrel soup, squirrel stew, squirrel salad, squirrel and potatoes, squirrel burger, squirrel sandwich. That- that's about it.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

What about squirrel pasta, squirrel pizza, and squirrel panini?

Squirrel enchiladas, squirrels in a blanket, and a Tur-Duck-squirrell for thanksgiving?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Those work too.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    What kind of food do you like to make with squirrels?
    If it's a young squirrel, pan fry it like chicken. For a mature squirrel it's either squirrel and dumplings, or cook it with potatoes and mushroom soup. All 3 after soaking in salt water over night in the fridge. It's decent eating.
    Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Saw a medium size gray out behind the house this morning but by the time I got nephew into some pants and shoes it was getting tired of waiting for us. Haven't seen any deer yet so I was hoping I would get him something at least.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Saw a medium size gray out behind the house this morning but by the time I got nephew into some pants and shoes it was getting tired of waiting for us. Haven't seen any deer yet so I was hoping I would get him something at least.
    The last two spots I sat on during rifle season had so damned many squirrels it was funny. Both red and gray. Damned red squirrels get big! During my last long sit I could have brought home at least a half dozen, just by picking them off with my .22 pistol from the blind. After I had been settled in for awhile they'd come within 6' of where I sat.

Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    The last two spots I sat on during rifle season had so damned many squirrels it was funny. Both red and gray. Damned red squirrels get big! During my last long sit I could have brought home at least a half dozen, just by picking them off with my .22 pistol from the blind. After I had been settled in for awhile they'd come within 6' of where I sat.

Exactly why I am bringing the 22 to the blind tomorrow. Not supposed to get snow till Sunday and that is the last day of gun season. Then I get to load up the black powder guns. Can't give up as long as I can still get out there.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Both red and gray.
    Has it always been that way?
    Up north where I was raised the gray pretty much took over and not many reds left.
    Still have them here but if the grays are growing in numbers I'd go after those and give the reds a little edge.
    I've heard that the grays with castrate the reds in a tussle then let nature do the rest of the work
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    Squirrel Yum! I season them up and put them on the spit on my grill and slow roast them, use a few hickory chips to give
    them a smokey flavor, a little dipping sauce, roasted potatoes and a salad, aw man! Where's my .22 Im getting hungry.
    Squirrel it's what's for dinner.
    Just me and my monkey....

Quote Originally Posted by binky59 View Post
    Squirrel Yum! I season them up and put them on the spit on my grill and slow roast them, use a few hickory chips to give
    them a smokey flavor, a little dipping sauce, roasted potatoes and a salad, aw man! Where's my .22 Im getting hungry.
    Squirrel it's what's for dinner.
    What keeps it from getting dry and tough?
    Returns June 3rd.

Rochester, New York, United States, Rochester, New York
    What keeps it from getting dry and tough?
    Sorry, I forgot to say that I baste them while they are on the spit and make sure
    that I dont over cook them, I have also bacon wrapped them and that works good.
    Just me and my monkey....

Quote Originally Posted by binky59 View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to say that I baste them while they are on the spit and make sure
    that I dont over cook them, I have also bacon wrapped them and that works good.
    I gotcha. Might have try that one day.
    Returns June 3rd.