Thread: Whelp, bought a crossbow today.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Whelp, bought a crossbow today.

Ended up going with an Excalibur, just liked everything I read about it. Got it at Bass Pro, in Columbia. Man, that damn place was a fricken mad house! As soon as I figure out what I've done with my blasted camera, I'll post some pics.

Also since I was there, I got a target and a snazzy new base layer set.
    Returns June 3rd.

Okay, ordered some accessories for this thing. Got a couple devices to make it more quiet, plus a deal that will let me change the string easily.

Also, I got the paper work taken to my doctor. All he has to do is sign it, then I mail it in and I'm legal for archery season! Then I can hunt deer from September till toward the end of January!
    Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Welcome to the club. May I suggest getting some large bales of straw to put behind your target to begin with. I lost a couple of bolts before I realized how well they can bury themselves in the sand hill I had been using for a backstop. I knew where they went in but digging never got them back. I just figure if I hit a deer I'm getting it back but if I miss it's gone. Arrows are easier to find. In front of the straw I had a large flat cardboard carton that I filled with old rags to slow the bolt down otherwise they went clean through the straw bales. They were the 3 string 2' x 4' bales and the blot barely slowed down going through them.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Yeah, I'm not sure about my target I bought. It's supposedly crossbow friendly, but we'll see. I've got two straw bales on hand from the wife's fall decorations. She's moved on to Christmas stuff, so she doesn't need them now.

One of the things I had to order was a cocking rope. The idiots at Bass Pro didn't remember to keep it with the bow. Hopefully it'll be here Wednesday or Thursday. I'm wanting to get some practice in!
    Returns June 3rd.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Going all Daryl Dixon on us now!

Congrats on the Crossbow, thread needs photos. Those poly foam targets that are sold will stop arrows better than a straw bail so I'd expect them to stop crossbow bolts equally well.

Ha, I had to google the name.

I'm working on some pics.

As soon as I can actually cock this thing I'll find out about the target, should be fun.
    Returns June 3rd.