Thread: Garand Gas Plug Question

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Garand Gas Plug Question

I have noticed that the gas plug, the slotted plug under the muzzle, comes loose. I noticed this after I went shooting a couple of times ago, but I had never checked it before. It was only held in by a few threads. I tightened it back up and went to the range again. I fired about 50 rounds through it and then took it home to clean. When I looked at the gas plug it was out a few turns. Is it normal for the gas plug to work it's way loose? Is there anything I can do or should I keep a screw driver with me to make sure it stays tight?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Are you using the Garand multi tool to tighten it? IIRC the spec is 10-15 lbs but don't recall if it's foot pounds or inch pounds? When I had mine I just put a little high temp bearing grease on the threads and tighten it down with the multi-tool being careful to not twist the gas cylinder.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher View Post
    Hey RS are you a Garand expert or far more knowledgeable than me?
    Mostly probably neither. I used to have a couple and might get another but I'm for sure no expert on them or much of anything else.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Are you using the Garand multi tool to tighten it? IIRC the spec is 10-15 lbs but don't recall if it's foot pounds or inch pounds? When I had mine I just put a little high temp bearing grease on the threads and tighten it down with the multi-tool being careful to not twist the gas cylinder.
    No, I don't have a multi-tool. From what I have read and from the CMP owner's guide I used a large bladed screw driver, one that won't slip. I guess I should get one of those multi tools.

Actually, I need to check the butt plate storage area. I got some stuff from CMP and there might be a gas cylinder plug there.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'm pretty sure we are talking foot pounds and if you're only using a screw driver you could put a cresant wrench on it if it's square shanked. That would give you a handle to put some torque on it if you lack the hand strength. 10 ft. lbs. isn't much torque I would say as I have used a torque wrench to put that much force on my first AR15 rifles flash hider. I found out that it helped the accuracy to be at 10 vs. even 12 ft. lbs.

Lastly, never had a gas plug back out ever on 3 M1 rifles. It is a fairly fine thread and I'm sort of wtf'ing here that they are backing out on you.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I'm pretty sure we are talking foot pounds and if you're only using a screw driver you could put a cresant wrench on it if it's square shanked. That would give you a handle to put some torque on it if you lack the hand strength.
    I have pretty decent hand strength & damn if I can back out the gas plug on my recently acquired '43 Springfield Garand. I've tried both the milsurp tool I have & a large screwdriver but no deal; thing acts like it's welded in there. I wonder if some genius put Loctite or something on the threads?

Think I'll try your crescent wrench trick w/ a large square-blade screwdriver I have.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I have pretty decent hand strength & damn if I can back out the gas plug on my recently acquired '43 Springfield Garand. I've tried both the milsurp tool I have & a large screwdriver but no deal; thing acts like it's welded in there. I wonder if some genius put Loctite or something on the threads?

Think I'll try your crescent wrench trick w/ a large square-blade screwdriver I have.
    Got any Kroil? These gas tube plugs can get carboned up and when they are left to sit for years the crud hardens up. My First M1 gas plug was hell on wheels to get out the first time because of carbon fouling.

You might try applying heat to the gas plug. Just enough to heat the metal to expansion then let it cool and contract. Might break loose any rust or old grease the might be holding it. Could also run a few clips through it, that will heat it up and then let it cool and try it.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

It is a fairly fine thread and I'm sort of wtf'ing here that they are backing out on you.
    That was one reason why I was asking. It is a battle rifle with a great reputation. To have the gas plug come out would sort of screw that all up. I think I will get a torque wrench and try that out.

NRA Endowment Member

Got any Kroil? These gas tube plugs can get carboned up and when they are left to sit for years the crud hardens up. My First M1 gas plug was hell on wheels to get out the first time because of carbon fouling.
    I squirted a few drops of Liquid Wrench around the plug & have let it sit. Next, I get out my biggest hammer & have at 'er, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    You might try applying heat to the gas plug. Just enough to heat the metal to expansion then let it cool and contract. Might break loose any rust or old grease the might be holding it. Could also run a few clips through it, that will heat it up and then let it cool and try it.
    I've actually had it out to the range a couple of times already, including a session just yesterday. The rifle runs fine, I just want to get the gas plug out and give the tube a good scrubbing.

On a humorous note: my range has a concrete overhang that runs the length of the firing line over the benches. Of course after shot # 8 goes down the barrel the en bloc goes straight up, hits the cement, & comes right back down on either A) my head or B) the crook of my right arm, every time. Have to wear a hat. Piiinggg!

On a humorous note: my range has a concrete overhang that runs the length of the firing line over the benches. Of course after shot # 8 goes down the barrel the en bloc goes straight up, hits the cement, & comes right back down on either A) my head or B) the crook of my right arm, every time. Have to wear a hat. Piiinggg!
    Mine launches the clip a ways as well. I went shooting with a buddy with our Garands and his clip barely cleared the reciever after the last shot.

NRA Endowment Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Mine launches the clip a ways as well. I went shooting with a buddy with our Garands and his clip barely cleared the reciever after the last shot.
    The first time it happened I was a little startled. Then I got use to it. It's like the exclamation at the end of a sentence, lol.

Also; the liquid wrench worked, along with Shuetz's tip for loosening the gas plug. Gave the gas tube a good washout w/ Hoppe's No 9 & oiled the plug threads. A thorough cleaning w/ CLP for the rest of the rifle & now Old Smokepole is ready for the next range session.
    Last edited by mrkalashnikov; 12-04-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    He needs to change out a spring. Normal is 2 or 3 feet of enblock launch at the end. Clip Ejector Spring is the target part to replace.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-04-2011 at 09:16 AM.