Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serial Vacationer Newt Falsely Claims People Use Food Stamps To Go To Hawaii

Thumbs down Serial Vacationer Newt Falsely Claims People Use Food Stamps To Go To Hawaii

As GOP contender Newt Gingrich rides an unexpected surge in the polls, he’s drawing a lot of criticism for his comments deriding poor children for not working and suggesting they should take up janitorial positions at their own schools.

Attacking poor Americans who need government aid is a favorite pastime for Gingrich — in nearly every speech he attacks President Obama for being a “food stamp president.” He took his routine even further this week when he claimed that food stamp recipients use their government aid to take trips to Hawaii:

So more Americans now get food stamps therefore and we now give it away as cash,” Gingrich said of President Obama. “You don’t get food stamps. You get a credit card and the credit card can be used for anything. We’ve had people take their food stamp money and use it to go to Hawaii.”

The completely bogus claim earned Gingrich a rare “pants on fire” from PolitiFact:
    http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...tamp-vacation/

What a lying P.O.S. If this asshole wins the nomination, the working poor will show up in droves to vote for Obama. It will be an even bigger landslide than in 2008.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Then how does other state's food stamp money get spent in Hawaii?
    http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Misso...117256028.html

Granted this story shows food stamp money from one state being spent in Hawaii and not the food stamp money being used to get there. But the question remains how does someone who qualifies for food stamps get to take trips there? I work a pretty good job and I'd find it tough to get there...

Roadhouse Groupee

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post

Granted this story shows food stamp money from one state being spent in Hawaii and not the food stamp money being used to get there. But the question remains how does someone who qualifies for food stamps get to take trips there? I work a pretty good job and I'd find it tough to get there...
    The states mentioned in the article all have large military bases as does Missouri perhaps this is from service members . . . the article said such purchases raise a red flag but it never mentioned any finding of fraud

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

(This is strictly from memory and a few years old.)

I think there are/were something like 200 food stamp fraud investigators nation wide.

Surprisingly there are few states with laws prohibiting trafficking in food stamps.

Wart

I seriously doubt its being used for vacations. More than likely its just people who have relocated (with the help of family paying their way) and they haven't gotten around to re-qualifying on the new state's welfare system, yet. Most states offer reciprocity with other states, since many people live on the borders and do their shopping across state-lines.

You have to have VERY LOW income and assets to qualify for food stamps. Any swinging dick can't just show up at the welfare office and expect a hand-out. It is truly reserved for the very needy, and the vast majority of people who utilize such services really do use them for basic essentials to make ends meet until they get back on their feet and are gainfully employed again, making decent money so that they don't need public assistance any more.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

You doubt and samiam says perhaps... The fact remains you can't be sure Newt isn't right can you?

Roadhouse Groupee

not sure how it works in other states but EBT can't be used here for non-food purchases

Quote Originally Posted by samiam View Post
    not sure how it works in other states but EBT can't be used here for non-food purchases
    I bet it works something like this... Two people go into a store, one picks out a bunch of stuff, hands it to the other who pays with a EBT, once outside the person with the EBT and goods the first person picked out hands over the goods for cash. Or a person goes into the store, makes a deal with the store owner who charges some amount for goods on the card then hands back the card with a fraction of the charged amount back in cash to the person with the EBT. In either case the person with the EBT traded it's use for cash, things like this really happen.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    I seriously doubt its being used for vacations. More than likely its just people who have relocated (with the help of family paying their way) and they haven't gotten around to re-qualifying on the new state's welfare system, yet. Most states offer reciprocity with other states, since many people live on the borders and do their shopping across state-lines.

You have to have VERY LOW income and assets to qualify for food stamps.

Any swinging dick can't just show up at the welfare office and expect a hand-out.

It is truly reserved for the very needy......
    Any swinging dick can't just show up at the welfare office and expect a hand-out.
    I agree anyone with a "swinging dick" would have difficulty getting food stamps. However, those with 'swinging tits' are much more welcome.

It is truly reserved for the very needy.....

You have to have VERY LOW income and assets to qualify for food stamps.
    ("It", as used, is an unclear antecedent.)

Maybe.....a Georgia farmer's penniless pig did manage to qualify for food stamps. She was approved under her real name....Ima Pig.

Wart

I bet it works something like this... Two people go into a store, one picks out a bunch of stuff, hands it to the other who pays with a EBT, once outside the person with the EBT and goods the first person picked out hands over the goods for cash. Or a person goes into the store, makes a deal with the store owner who charges some amount for goods on the card then hands back the card with a fraction of the charged amount back in cash to the person with the EBT. In either case the person with the EBT traded it's use for cash, things like this really happen.
    Yeah, but not very often. EBT fraud is taken very seriously in most states. Most recipients won't risk the legal consequences of abusing their privileges like that, because they know they'll be cut off from all future aid -- for life.

Yeah, but not very often. EBT fraud is taken very seriously in most states. Most recipients won't risk the legal consequences of abusing their privileges like that, because they know they'll be cut off from all future aid -- for life.
    And you know "not very often" how?

http://www.cdss.ca.gov/fraud/PG270.htm interesting stories from one state..

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I've met illegal Mexicans with over ten fake IDs with SSI (Aid to Dependant Children) and the new food stamp "debt cards" for each ID. They find a crooked store owner and sell the cash on the card for 50% or so with no purchase. They make a good living off defrauding the government. I've seen this going on in Chicago, Denver, Houston and Nashville. From what I've heard it is rampant in Kali.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I've met illegal Mexicans with over ten fake IDs with SSI (Aid to Dependant Children) and the new food stamp "debt cards" for each ID. They find a crooked store owner and sell the cash on the card for 50% or so with no purchase. They make a good living off defrauding the government. I've seen this going on in Chicago, Denver, Houston and Nashville. From what I've heard it is rampant in Kali.
    There was a case in Ohio where a woman used 10 ID's to get food stamps.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

There was a case in Ohio where a woman used 10 ID's to get food stamps.
    There is an underground of older illegals that recruit them into this for a commission. You can buy fake IDs at any flea market that has large number of non-english speaking Mexicans. They arrested the ring leaders in Denver a few years ago with something like 10,000 fake ID blanks sets that included birth certificates, SS cards and Colorado DLs.

You have to have VERY LOW income and assets to qualify for food stamps. Any swinging dick can't just show up at the welfare office and expect a hand-out. It is truly reserved for the very needy, and the vast majority of people who utilize such services really do use them for basic essentials to make ends meet until they get back on their feet and are gainfully employed again, making decent money so that they don't need public assistance any more.
    I very rarely post, but this is such a complete and utter BS that i have to respond to it!

I have seen so many people here in ND with EBT driving around in cars that I cannot afford buying ribeyes and still have a sh%$load for a balance on their cards. Husband has a card and wife has a card also because their last names are different, some kids claimed by husband who works and the other kids by mom who doesn't work and is again pregnant. Not only that, but they also got the nerve to go to programs that give away free school supplies and christmas gifts (and they don't celebrate christmas!)...

The truly needy that i know of in ND that just needs a hand up until they're back on their feet don't qualify for EBT because "they make too much"!

Here in Oregon your EBT can only be used for cold food. So no hot case items, no booze, no material things. Just cold food.

There are of course ways to abuse this. Like buying expensive sushi from the deli counter and those five dollar pomegranite drinks.

There is also the rumored abuses of minimarts selling alcohol and tobaco for EBT credit. These places are "known" in the more ghetto neigborhoods and advertised by word of mouth. Scumbags. Ripping off the taxpayer, and doing no service to people who probably need nutrition and a head check more than they need that Four-Loco.

Never heard of someone selling a plane ticket though.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    What the heck? And all this time I've been getting traffic tickets in my own name like a sucker!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I guarantee I could find a black guy with a trunk full of canned good for sale within 5 miles of my home. They buy the food with EBT, their hood freinds buy the food out of a car trunk in cash at a discount, the original EBT holder then uses this money to purchase material goods.

Happens all the time. Where you been living?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Here in Oregon your EBT can only be used for cold food. So no hot case items, no booze, no material things. Just cold food.

There are of course ways to abuse this.
    Understatement of the thread award winner.
    food stamp water dumping fraud/
    Last edited by stinker; 12-02-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

I know many people receiving benefits. They ALL have other sources of income - some quite lucrative and illegal, but qualify for all sorts of state assistance because none of their other income is documented.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast