Thread: Skunked!

Skunked!

Took my son out hunting. First day of the season, he missed a spike. Then we didn't see anything that we could get a shot at.

I hunted this past Monday and Tuesday. Didn't see SQUAT!! (I did miss a turkey about 100 yards awasy.)

We went to camp last night, met up with a buddy of mine. Got up early this morning, it was COLD!! I thought for sure the deer would be moving. About 8 am. We here a shot from the other side of the hill/mountain. Sure enough my buddy who forgot to bring a flashlight, was waiting for it to be light enough to walk in the woods.

Left the back porch of the cabin, walked about 30 yards into the woods. Sat down and a little 6 point walks out in front of him less than 40 yards away.

I am pretty happy for him. It was his first time hunting in over 2 years.

My son wasn't upset for not getting a deer in his first season. Proud of him for that.

Had some REAL good time with my son in the woods though. I don't know what I am off next week. It is doe season. So, I might get to shoot one of them. I was really surprised though. For all of the signs that we saw. We didn't see the deer this year that I normally do.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

That's why it's called hunting and not taking.

This would probably be better off in the actual hunting forums.
    Returns June 3rd.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Good to hear you and your boy had a good time El Duce. Hope you have better luck next time.

I got skunked hunting elk again this year, but I filled my buck tag on the last day of the season so I'm somewhat satified. General Rifle season is over out west here until next year.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Don't feel bad. I sat for three days in my back woods and the third day I watched a small buck just walk by. I didn't even think to shoot. It was crazy. I've gotten five deer back there, but I just watched it walk. I could see if I already had venison in the freezer, but damn. My buddy said I've lost "it".

Mmmm! Venison roast!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

That's deer hunting from my perspective. Skunked 90% of the time when I use to do it. Never had any land of my own to hunt on.

The important thing is you had a good time with your son. I didn't hunt this year. Maybe next year.

I was walking my land last weekend and had two does run up from behind me and pass me about 15 feet away. Well atleast the first one ran by, the second one saw me and stoped in mid jump then spent the better part of 5 minutes trying to figure a way around me