Thread: Cowboy Cold Weather clothes....Suggestions?

Cowboy Cold Weather clothes....Suggestions?

Been invited to a winter 'cowboy shoot' at a friend's place in the Nevada High Desert. Okay, it's DAMNED COLD right now in the mountains south of Reno. But the 'dress code' is OLD WEST. Crap. So anyone has suggestions as to what is right to wear in the snow?

I've seen a bunch of westerns where the actors had layers of clothes, shirts, vest and oilskin dusters, which I don't think is that useful.

I'm a city boy. Not much old west cowboy clothing, though I do have a nice collection of Cowboy guns, single action army, Winchester 1894, Uberti 1873, Cimarron SAA, Old Side by side shotguns, etc. I intend to shoot all my BP stuff (and the 30-30) at this 'get-together'.

Some of you guys have to wear 'western clothes'. Who's a good online store for correct cowboy stuff. I'm running into too much 'costume' or 'warm weather' stuff when I do online searches.

thanks in advance.

It's been awhile since I needed period dress and I've lost track of the stores I used to surf but if you look over the SASS site ( sassnet.com ) you may find some links. I know for certain that Wah-Maker brand has some excellent repro clothes- do a search on their clothes and you should find some good outlets.
    Cold? Maybe consider putting a union suit under your outer layers- and don't knock oilcloth, it cuts wind and keeps warm air in
    CHOOT UM!

The purpose of the duster was to keep the wind from cutting through you from neck to mid-calf...you know, where your cowboy boots stopped. What was worn underneath was to keep you warm.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Take your pick:

http://www.westernemporium.com/mens_...Fc2A7QodjRn2Kg

The whole outfit appears to be a little less than $500 bucks... I'm thinking, get the outfit and then wear some thermal underwear underneath?

Some of these would definitely keep you warm: , best part is, old west cowboys never heard of Chewbacca.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

http://www.duluthtrading.com/

Check out this place, i've had a pair of their flannel lined jeans for 5 years, can't seem to wear them out.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Good base layer would help. Got wool?
    Returns June 3rd.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Just put on some good quality high-tech long johns and then cowboy layers over that.

The oiled duster is definately the best outterwear - does cut the wind really well.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Cowboys cold weather gear...

If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!