Thread: Got the boys started in archery.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Got the boys started in archery.

I think about anyone would agree that there is something about archery hunting, especially hunting deer with a bow, that's just f'ing cool!

Plus in most states the seasons are generous and many hunting areas are open that don't allow firearm use. Also there isn't the noise and disturbance sometimes associated with rifles.

So with these points and a few others in mind, I got the boys set up so that eventually, they can get in the woods and archery hunt. They now have the needed equipment, and I've got them set up for instruction at the indoor range where I bought their bows.

For Matt, my 14 year old, we ended up with a Parker, Side Kick Extreme.

And Ian, who just turned 11, he has a PSE, Mini Burner.

I bought these at The Archery Shack, in St Martins. The guys there impressed me. It was obvious they really liked the idea of getting two chilrens set up and on their way with archery. They spent 3 1/2 hours helping the boys decide on which bow suited them best. I was a little surprised at how meticulously they tuned these to fit the boys. The boys are excited and I am too, this was fun for a rainy, Saturday afternoon.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher View Post
    Good for you Kids that are out in the woods hunting or out fishing make better kids. Where im at there isnt much opportunity to hunt. So my son & I fished. I swear it made him a better person. He fishes at least 100 days a year. And not even a parking ticket. Age 26 SO what you are doing for your boys is priceless. We need more Dads & sons like that
    Yes, better them be in the woods than vegging in their room playing video games.
    Returns June 3rd.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up

Yep. You obviously don't mind investing in your boys - in the right way IMHO. And of course, the most important part is your time - spent with them training, practicing and then hunting.

Good job!!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Thanks OSOK.

I think them being comfortable with weapons, and enjoying time in the woods, will serve them well when they're older. I don't want them growing up too modern.
    Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    You done good. Wait till they start dragging your creaky old bones over the mud and ice because they want to go hunting and all you want is a beer and the football game. You may have created a monster, we need more just like that.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    You done good. Wait till they start dragging your creaky old bones over the mud and ice because they want to go hunting and all you want is a beer and the football game. You may have created a monster, we need more just like that.
    I was telling Matt yesterday that I need to get him a climber so he can choose his own location and such. He thought that meant I was going to just drop him off and return home, and he didn't like that idea. I informed him I'd be in a different location, but not far, that he decided, would work.

I've got Matt pretty well set up. He has a bow now, plus a Ruger 10-22, a Remington 870, and a Remington 700 in .243. Hell of a lot sweeter deal than I ever had growing up.
    Returns June 3rd.

You're a good Dad.
    I wish my son had been with me more after the divorce. He is really interested in guns and I let him shoot in the back yard when he comes and visits.

One word of advice. Let them practice often with the bows, but don't let them over practice until they build the muscles used to draw.

When I got my first compound bow, I shot over 100 arrows the first day, and many more in the months that followed. Big mistake. In later years my shoulder rotator cuff is shot.

Let them work up to shooting lots of arrows. Archery is fun and challenging.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    You're a good Dad.
    I wish my son had been with me more after the divorce. He is really interested in guns and I let him shoot in the back yard when he comes and visits.

One word of advice. Let them practice often with the bows, but don't let them over practice until they build the muscles used to draw.

When I got my first compound bow, I shot over 100 arrows the first day, and many more in the months that followed. Big mistake. In later years my shoulder rotator cuff is shot.

Let them work up to shooting lots of arrows. Archery is fun and challenging.
    Dan, my game plan is to have them take lessons at the indoor range from an instructor. Then we can augment that in the backyard. I don't feel comfortable being in charge of their training because I don't know enough about it myself. Larry, the instructor that helped us Saturday get set up with equipment, encouraged me to get them in the kids league once they were proficient. This is what I'm going to do. I want them to get started right instead of just winging it.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Dan, my game plan is to have them take lessons at the indoor range from an instructor. Then we can augment that in the backyard. I don't feel comfortable being in charge of their training because I don't know enough about it myself. Larry, the instructor that helped us Saturday get set up with equipment, encouraged me to get them in the kids league once they were proficient. This is what I'm going to do. I want them to get started right instead of just winging it.
    A good plan as well.
    I was 30 when I started, and should have known better than to overdo it until I strengthened the muscles. But, it was fun, a lot of fun.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    A good plan as well.
    I was 30 when I started, and should have known better than to overdo it until I strengthened the muscles. But, it was fun, a lot of fun.
    I figure, and I'm sure you'll agree, that by starting them out young, it'll be easier for them. Plus if from the get-go they receive proper instruction, they won't develop bad habits that have to be overcome later. This is what we've done with them as far as musical instruments go, and it's worked out great.
    Returns June 3rd.

Leonardabel
    we will get ready for archery and be conscious for best direction so never forget any aspects in life for best standard.Mostly boys want a lot of hunt so they search and find valuable things.