Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hanukah etiquette

Sorry was gone for the weekend.

Dress reasonably well. Khaki pants and a button down shirt (or sweater) is generally good enough for most situations unless told otherwise.

Usually Hanukkah is a gift giving holiday, if it's a known number of people it's best to bring something for each, assuming a small number. If it's just one family a small family gift would be good, perhaps a board game. Gelt is ok, but usually the kids will already have plenty. If you can find them I might suggest a few Pez dispensers, it's a toy, and a treat, kind of fun little gifts for kids.

Skip on bringing the wine, and do NOT offer to open any bottles of wine already there. Feel free to help if asked, but do not offer. Oddly enough kosher wines opened by a non jew are considered non kosher. Many won't follow this practice, but its best to avoid.

Jewish wines are typically VERY sweet, sip slow to avoid being shocked by the taste if you've never had one.

Expect a very short prayer, possibly some songs, and usually a very good meal

Enjoy, it's a happy occasion, but a very minor jewish holiday, don't worry about most faux pas, they will expect you not to know to much, they may not know the history much themselves to be honest.

Basically don't open wine unless asked, don't blow out the candles, a small gift is nice, don't go overboard on that, and have fun.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    So, Kad, you're Italian now?

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    So, Kad, you're Italian now?
    What? No.

Ahh, Wart. No he's just having fun.

Sorry, not a filthy guinea
    Last edited by Kadmos; 12-05-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post

He is a very clean one. Scrubs his fingernails daily!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    He is a very clean one. Scrubs his fingernails daily!
    And bathe every week

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Is that the alcohol advice or the dating someone half plus 7 years your age?....
    The booze, but I could car less about the second also. I've always ended up with a gal slightly older than I though...

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

What? No.

Ahh, Wart. No he's just having fun.

Next you'll be saying you don't drink Mad Dog 20-20 either !

Wart

Thanks for the info Kad, I am looking forward to the celibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Thanks for the info Kad, I am looking forward to the celibration.
    No problem, enjoy.

And yes Wart, I grew up on Manischewitz and occasionally even Mogen David. Now there are much better jewish wines easily available, I'm not much of a drinker really anymore, but MD and Manny still taste like childhood

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

And yes Wart, I grew up on Manischewitz and occasionally even Mogen David. Now there are much better jewish wines easily available, I'm not much of a drinker really anymore, but MD and Manny still taste like childhood

I grew up Southern Baptist in rural Alabama and the drink of choice was moon shine !! (The county was kept dry by the B&B coalition - the Baptists and the bootleggers.) Now one of my Uncles, black hearted sinner that he was not, had the temerity to make scuppernong (muscadine family) wine every year but no one openly admitted to that fact.

By the time I was 12 the Baptist had taught me everyone was going to hell* sooooo, armed with that knowledge, I departed the church to continue a career of sinning.

I also drink very little these days.

Wart

*I did not yet understand 'hell' was the garbage dump.

Wart

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    On the second day of Hanukah, don't send your true love a picture of your schmeckel, especially if you plan on running for congress.

History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12