Thread: An anniversary I will never forget!

An anniversary I will never forget!

Today was our 35th anniversary, so I didn't get up and go hunting this morning. We didn't have any special plans and I was just setting here messing on the computer about 2:00 and told the wife that instead of setting here I should get out and try and get a deer. She told me to go ahead, she would have supper waiting when I got home.

I grab my gear and head out to the ranch. I get there about 2:45 get geared up and start up this brushy draw. I get about half way up the draw and this danged rabbit busts out of the thicket right under my feet and I cuss... when I look up again there is a buck standing on the rim of the draw about 30 yards away.

I try and slowly bring up the rifle and he looks at me and moves out smartly. I head up the side of the draw and after climbing about 30 feet get to the level he was on. I look down to the end of the draw and he is standing there down a tunnel of branches. I lean up against an oak tree, take a breath and squeeze one off. When I get the scope back on him, he has looked up and started to walk off, I reload and he walks in a small circle and stops and stands there. Unfortunately he is now at the edge of the tunnel and his body is covered so I take up another sight and try for a neck shot. I squeeze another round off and when I get the scope on him this time all I see is feet kicking.

I call my son to bring his pickup out and help me get him since I am not going to put him in the back of my Mountaineer.

I walk around the end of the draw and move up to him and this is what I find.

Very nice 8 point. Missing about 3" of one tine due to fighting but my first ever deer!

On further examination, I evidently did hit him with the first shot as the only bullet hole was on the left side as he was when I first shot and the bullet recovered under the skin on the right side. Since he had turned and presented me his right side when I took the neck shot, he must have collapsed just as I shot causing me to miss the neck shot.

Took the Coordinates of where I shot from and where he was when I shot and using Google Earth it came up with 201 yards. He only covered about 10 yards in a circle from where I shot him and fell just a couple of feet from where he was standing when I shot.
    Last edited by Dieselbuilder; 12-05-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Nice job Diesel!

Good looking Kansas buck, and I really enjoyed your story and photos.

So which rifle did you take him with?
    Returns June 3rd.

Congrats on your 1st buck and your anniversary!!

I would think after 35 years together, a hunting outing would not affect the marriage in a negative manner, especially on your anniversary....LOL

I too would like to know what you took him with.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Congratulations on your first deer and a special congrats on your Anniversary!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

That buck is something to be proud of.

But being married to the same woman for 35 years in today's world, is truly impressive!
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    That buck is something to be proud of.

But being married to the same woman for 35 years in today's world, is truly impressive!
    Ain't that the truth..................

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Nice job Diesel!

Good looking Kansas buck, and I really enjoyed your story and photos.

So which rifle did you take him with?

Savage 10FP .308 with Centerpoint 4x16x40 scope firing 155gr Hornady A-Max at 2850 fps.

Bullet recovered on the back side just under the skin after ALMOST passing clear through buck.

Started out as a Hornady 155gr A-Max .308, I don't have my scales accessible at the moment to measure retained weight.
    Last edited by Dieselbuilder; 12-05-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Gotta love those Savages.
    How is the Centerpoint scope working for you from the obvious?
    I am thinking of getting one from Wally World for my Stevens .223.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

It works ok for the price... it can get a little hazy at 16x. But for a 70 dollar scope, well like they say, "ya get what you pay for", although it is definitely a better scope than what is included in most rifle "packages" and I don't foresee replacing it any time soon.

I have used it on targets out to 500 and it was fine. It has about 35 MOA of adjustment so it would just barely have enough to get to 1000 yards with that round zeroed at 100 yards. But I think if I were going to be shooting that far with any regularity I would shell out for a higher quality scope.

I just went in and looked and I did have it up on 16 when I shot so obviously clarity then wasn't an issue!