Thread: An anniversary I will never forget!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

An anniversary I will never forget!

Today was our 35th anniversary, so I didn't get up and go hunting this morning. We didn't have any special plans and I was just setting here messing on the computer about 2:00 and told the wife that instead of setting here I should get out and try and get a deer. She told me to go ahead, she would have supper waiting when I got home.

I grab my gear and head out to the ranch. I get there about 2:45 get geared up and start up this brushy draw. I get about half way up the draw and this danged rabbit busts out of the thicket right under my feet and I cuss... when I look up again there is a buck standing on the rim of the draw about 30 yards away.

I try and slowly bring up the rifle and he looks at me and moves out smartly. I head up the side of the draw and after climbing about 30 feet get to the level he was on. I look down to the end of the draw and he is standing there down a tunnel of branches. I lean up against an oak tree, take a breath and squeeze one off. When I get the scope back on him, he has looked up and started to walk off, I reload and he walks in a small circle and stops and stands there. Unfortunately he is now at the edge of the tunnel and his body is covered so I take up another sight and try for a neck shot. I squeeze another round off and when I get the scope on him this time all I see is feet kicking.

I call my son to bring his pickup out and help me get him since I am not going to put him in the back of my Mountaineer.

I walk around the end of the draw and move up to him and this is what I find.

Very nice 8 point. Missing about 3" of one tine due to fighting but my first ever deer!

On further examination, I evidently did hit him with the first shot as the only bullet hole was on the left side as he was when I first shot and the bullet recovered under the skin on the right side. Since he had turned and presented me his right side when I took the neck shot, he must have collapsed just as I shot causing me to miss the neck shot.

Took the Coordinates of where I shot from and where he was when I shot and using Google Earth it came up with 201 yards. He only covered about 10 yards in a circle from where I shot him and fell just a couple of feet from where he was standing when I shot.
    Last edited by Dieselbuilder; 12-05-2011 at 07:48 PM.