Thread: Boot menu problem 7 & XP help gurus

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Boot menu problem 7 & XP help gurus

I installed a dualboot on one computer no problems, Installed 7 on another computer with XP, can't get the boot menu to work.

I have a raid0 and a single disk Raid0 has XP(e) and 7(c) on it, single disk has another copy of XP on it(d). I've tried easybcd, it only sees the copy of XP on d:

What I'm ending up with is the computer boots straight into my XP on E: UNLESS I have the 7 dvd in the drive then it asks if I want to boot off the dvd by pressing a key, I don't then it gives me the boot menu and I can chose 7 or the two xp copies....

How do I get the boot menu to come up without the 7 dvd in the drive?

Sounds like a problem with your raid0 array being seen... Does it boot to that if the single disk is disconnected?

did you change the boot sequence in the BIOS?

Hmmm...first off, raid0 is useless. It offers no redundancy or recovery over a single disk...I'd not bother with it in the future.

I'm inferring this is a software raid? And if I had to hazard a guess, the win7 install didn't include the specific drivers for this particular raid0 software implementation, or a step was missed in the Win7 install to include that driver (which is more likely...given you can boot to the Win7 install with the disk).

What's the flavor of the raid0 implementation? Some after market software driver?

I've not played with 7 yet, but, again hazarding a guess, you'd need to create a slipstreamed Win7 install disk with that particular driver added to the install...which means wiping that install of Win7, creating the slipstreamed disk and then reinstalling it.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Hmmm...first off, raid0 is useless. It offers no redundancy or recovery over a single disk...I'd not bother with it in the future.

I'm inferring this is a software raid? And if I had to hazard a guess, the win7 install didn't include the specific drivers for this particular raid0 software implementation, or a step was missed in the Win7 install to include that driver (which is more likely...given you can boot to the Win7 install with the disk).

What's the flavor of the raid0 implementation? Some after market software driver?

I've not played with 7 yet, but, again hazarding a guess, you'd need to create a slipstreamed Win7 install disk with that particular driver added to the install...which means wiping that install of Win7, creating the slipstreamed disk and then reinstalling it.
    Raid0 for speed, gaming, I think you're on to the problem. There are no 7 drivers out for this motherboard, Asus A8N-SLI Premium The raid is hardware driven from the MB not sure what you mean by software implementation? In any case I can access the raid when I'm in 7 but can't get the boot menu to come up unless the disk is in the drive at bootup.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post
    did you change the boot sequence in the BIOS?
    No I have it set to boot from the raid first which is what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by cevulirn View Post
    Sounds like a problem with your raid0 array being seen... Does it boot to that if the single disk is disconnected?
    The raid0 is the default boot, no problems with it booting from those drives. Just don't get a menu to boot into the other operating systems unless I have the 7 disk in the drive.
    Not a super big deal to leave the 7 disk in the drive but would like it to work without having to leave the disk in the dvd drive.

1Pat...

Give this a try: http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html

It's free.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!