Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 'major milestone' in search for Earth's twin (NASA)

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    A SETI project, however, will begin monitoring Kepler 22b for signs of intelligence.
    Interesting. SETI can be much more efficient in their searches if we can bird dog likely planets..

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post

Actually i think that theory is flawed.

A persons biological and chemical aging processes would not just suddenly stop simply because of how fast you're driving. A 200 light year trip traveled at the speed of light would still take 200 years one way.
    I don't think this is quite right. While the trip will still take 200 yrs. to complete, traveling at the speed of light, the passengers on the ship will not age at all. The 200 yrs. is only observed by those not traveliing in that ship. To the passengers, once they reach the SOL, they will feel as though they arrived instantly at their destination. In reality, it took 200 yrs.

All the other stuff about slowing time down, only occurs at speeds approaching the SOL. Once that speed is reached, time will totally stop for the passengers. The passengers won't notice time stopping because to them they arrived instantly...no time will seem to pass, at all, to them. Nor, will they notice time slowing down as everything in their ship will be undergoing the same changes at the same time. Everything, in the ship, will seem "normal" to them.

As Carl Sagan said, "Space travel, near the speed of light, will only be for the passengers on the ship, not for those left behind." To those left behind, the space craft will never be heard from again, as they (the people on earth) will have died long ago in relation to those traveling in space.

If you could travel at 1/2 the SOL, you could circumnavigate the universe in about 50 yrs., ship time, and come back, but the earth will have long since turned to space dust. Time only slows down for those traveling in the ship. It remains "constant" on earth.

The hard part of this, to grasp, is when you talk about time. Time is a concept that only occurs for those who are traveling less than the SOL. Once the SOL is reached, time will stop for those traveling. To them, they will "seem" to arrive instantaneously.

To carry this one step farther, if you could travel at the SOL forever, you would live forever as you would never age. I have no idea if your "immortality" would be noticed by you. Interesting thought, though.
    Last edited by alismith; 12-08-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Actually it is still more than just perception. I recall reading hearing about an experiment with accurate atomic clocks. I don't recall if they put the second on a rocket or just a super sonic aircraft. Anyway at the end of it the clock that was moving at high speed was reading out a time that was behind the stationary ground clock. The clock in fast motion slowed even though it was no where near light speed or even .5 light speed. Was supposed to be proof positive of the dialation effect.

http://renshaw.teleinc.com/papers/london1/london1.stm Here you go a link to the clock slowing down when moving at high speed. It's a bit of a read but worth while.
    I saw a Nova program on this event. Two identical atomic clocks were synchronized and one was placed on a passenger jet and flown to the next air port, where it was immediately placed on another jet heading in the same direction. This was done repeatedly until it had been flown around the world and returned to the same airport it originally left from. The two clocks were compared and the one that was stationary was about .00003 second slower. The small difference in time showed that the one traveling slowed down compared to the one left behind, thus supporting Einstein's predictions.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    So, if time stops at speed C, does it go backward at speeds above C? And don't say nothing can go faster than speed C. If you have a massive black hole on the order of ten billion solar masses, it's event horizon will be very far above the surface of the black hole. Any "light" falling below the event horizon will be accelerated by the gravity of the black hole as it "falls" to the surface. Thus, if light can accelerate in the gravity of a black hole, it can be made to accelerate outside of a blackhole.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    So, if time stops at speed C, does it go backward at speeds above C? And don't say nothing can go faster than speed C. If you have a massive black hole on the order of ten billion solar masses, it's event horizon will be very far above the surface of the black hole. Any "light" falling below the event horizon will be accelerated by the gravity of the black hole as it "falls" to the surface. Thus, if light can accelerate in the gravity of a black hole, it can be made to accelerate outside of a blackhole.
    I'm not sure about time going backward once you pass the SOL. It seems to make sense, but that kind of physics is far above me. I'll see if I can find something on it. Maybe Stephen Hawking has written something about it.

I saw another program about something similar and some scientists claim to have discovered a particle called a tachion that, when it looses energy, it goes faster. It's normal speed is the SOL, so it sounds like it already travels faster than the speed of light.

A white hole spews evergy out just as fast as a black hole takes it in. Since the discovery of white holes, the idea of worm holes came into existence. But, if a black hole shreds matter, does a white hole recombine it? And, if it recombines it in exactly the same way that a black hole shreds it, does it put it back together exactly as it was before it interacted with the black hole that destroyed it? More thought questions....

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I know we have identified black holes, several in fact. I am unaware of any identified "white holes". I know about them as theoretical.

Earth's twin is Mars.
    More arid, but.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    That would'nt even be a discussion. Not just yes, but HELL YEAH.
    Spend a week in LEO... floating in microgravity and taking the most awesome pictures in the world... hell yeah I would do it in a heartbeat.

Go to the moon for a few days then come back... I'd be scared shitless but it would be worth it... count me in.

Spend 9 months getting to Mars, then wait 18 months for the next alignment, then spend 9 more months coming back to earth... nope. Not for me.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by rahatlakhoom View Post
    Earth's twin is Mars.
    More arid, but.
    No magnetic field = no atmosphere (other than wisps of heavy CO2 and argon).

Mars may be earth's "twin", but it died a LONG time ago.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    No magnetic field = no atmosphere (other than wisps of heavy CO2 and argon).

Mars may be earth's "twin", but it died a LONG time ago.
    No magnetic field, I don't think that's possible. It has a weak one as it has weaker gravity. It is only 38% of what earth has, so if you weighed 200 lbs. here you'd weigh in at 76 lbs. there. I would interpret that to mean Mars doesn't have a large iron content core like earth does.

Nasa has continually underplayed the significance of Mars data.
    This neighbor still has vital signs.

To admit something that close harbors life forms remains a social
    taboo. I think the Vatican policy is at least cracking the door
    open just enough so that when critters are found, they won't
    appear to be in the dark.

Searching elsewhere for Earth type planets outside the solar system
    is interesting. And results indicate larger planetary population than initially
    estimated.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No magnetic field, I don't think that's possible. It has a weak one as it has weaker gravity. It is only 38% of what earth has, so if you weighed 200 lbs. here you'd weigh in at 76 lbs. there. I would interpret that to mean Mars doesn't have a large iron content core like earth does.
    Not questioning you, but adding to your reply. I always thought it was gravity that held an atmosphere to a planet. If it was the magnetic field, then I somehow haven't observed Earth's weather patterns aligning up with Earth's magnetic field.
    I'd say a good part of Mar's atmosphere has been blown away by the solar winds...if I were to guess about it. Low gravity,proximity to the sun, age of the solar system, etc., solar winds. We continually have some of our atmosphere blown into space by solar winds.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...01/ast31jan_1/
    Last edited by N/A; 12-11-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12