Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which State Would You Live In?

Which State Would You Live In?

Let’s say you have nothing to tie you down, are young, have a car, and have some money in the bank. What state would you live in?

The reason I ask is because I finally got the paperwork to begin my pistol permit process. What a needlessly bureaucratic ritual. I thought it would be easier to just move to another state. Then I seriously thought, why am I still in New York?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Since leaving Oregon and coming back to Texas, I have many times thought that if I were going to be broke and poor, I'd rather be broke and poor in Oregon than anywhere else....in the Astoria area. So much to do that you don't have to pay to do.

I have to say I like KY alot, it's cheap living, doesn't feel dangerous, very pro gun, still has seasons, close enough to family to visit but not so close they do so too often, not too hot nor too cold, lots of out door stuff to do, decent on taxes, cheap land, good work rules.

The down side is the relatively lack of employment opportunities.

That is unless you're the type to move to a new place and want to make it like the last place you just left to get away from. Then all the above is a lie and you wouldn't want to live there

Wyoming, in the middle of nowhere .

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    100 square miles of desert in an undisclosed location in New Mexico or Arizona, in an underground house.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Well, since this is a gun board... I'm going on the idea of which states are the most gun friendly or in other words have the fewest gun laws/restrictions....

Take your pick of any state in Red:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/

If its work related, well I guess the state depends on the kind of work you do...

If you're looking for quality of life, least gun restrictions, relatively cheap land, get away from the neighbors... I'd pick Montana or northern Idaho at first glance.

Then again, I'm also concerned about the YellowStone cauldera blowing up... so, where's a relatively safe place to live? South East? Georgia/Tennesee/North Carlina

Now, if I didn't have to work and won the lottery.... I agree with Blacksheep, I'd move to Wyoming... prevailing winds will blow everything East if something goes Boom! Then again, I'm also a fan of the Twilight series.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

From a pro-gun perspective, the deep south, the southwest, the high plains states are all good. It depends on what you are looking for in weather/seasons, terrain, recreation and personality.

I work on the road all the time and was in that position at 50 years old. I bought in the East Texas piney woods. For a $45 permit there are hundreds of thousands of acres of type two timber land you can hunt. The two largest lakes in the state are here. It rains enough to garden easily (at least most years). The cost of land, housing and living are fairly low. There is no income tax and while there is property tax it is only on land and structures, not autos, RVs and boats.

I like Wyoming, Montana North & South Dakoda, and Idaho, but it gets cold as hell there for three months a year. If I could buy a second place it would be a summer place up there.

Pennsylvania isn't a bad state to be in, you can get a LTCF pretty easily and there's no semi-auto ban. There's no waiting period, and we recently had castle doctrine signed into law. I think the Brady campaign should reconsider their grade for us lol.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Cool

Migrated her 40 years ago......been satisfied ever sence!!!!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    Migrated her 40 years ago......been satisfied ever sence!!!!
    Dan
    Dan, I loved living in Colorado. Still call WV home.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Texas, of course....

I was born and raised here. I do spend time in the UP of MI though.....chris3

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Georgia is very gun friendly. All NFA items are allowed to be owned. It's home to several Suppressor companies, AAC and Costal to name two. If it had no income tax like Tennessee it would be damn near perfect.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Thumbs up

I would live in the great State of Illinois.

Because it's the Land of Lincoln, a FOID card-issuing state for gun owners, and our 4th governor in the last 40 years has been convicted today of corruption (18 charges) and is going to Club Fed for 14 years!!
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I would live in the great State of Illinois.

Because it's the Land of Lincoln, a FOID card-issuing state for gun owners, and our 4th governor in the last 40 years has been convicted today of corruption (18 charges) and is going to Club Fed for 14 years!!
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/
    You're being facetious ... right?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You're being facetious ... right?
    No!

I love it here....really!

Another vote for Montana...that's where I'd be headed if I could right now.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    While I would love a property in the middle of no-where, I am pretty happy as a firearm lover right here in gun loving Indiana, where the only major firearm laws we have to put up with are the ones the feds shove down our throats.

We do have to have a license to carry a handgun but do not need one to transport the firearm to and from a range or practice area. Home defense is legal and extends to being in our automobiles, and businesses cannot prevent me from being armed in my car on company property.

Taxes could be better, but overall the cost of living here is pretty reasonable.

Pro gun is a must. No AWB, magazine caps, mg bans, and anal probes for handguns. It would be nice to have some kind of CCW. Something like the castle doctrine would be nice to have. I need places to shoot too. Land to hunt, fish, camp, and other outdoor activities are also needed. The less tax the better. I would need internet access too with hopefully something better than dial up. What weather would probably be dictated by my car, a 2003 Chevy Cavalier. It is a four cylinder, four door sedan with normal tires. Also fun places to meet nice young females.

old Grump
    100 square miles of desert in an undisclosed location in New Mexico or Arizona, in an underground house.
    The desert idea is interesting. Someplace like Nevada, get some out of the way land and take breaks to Vegas.

If its work related, well I guess the state depends on the kind of work you do...
    The job is what I have trouble foreseeing. Despite my age, I don’t have a lot of job experience. I don’t really know what I want to do? This is what derails my dream of escape. I need more useful skills.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Just might be New Hampshire for me. The White Mountains are beautiful.

Wart

right here where Im at...

middle of nowhere.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast