Thread: Vepr 7.62x39

Vepr 7.62x39

Can someone post your best 100yd 5 shot group from a scoped Vepr 7.62x39 using Russian Steel cased ammo, thanks.
    Last edited by haldir; 12-09-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Welcome to the board!

I have a VEPR II in x39 but no scope and it hasn't been shot in a long time.

Well they are being sold again, and I want one but I don't know how much more accurate they are compared to my AK.

What do you have now?

From what I've seen they are on par with the best of the 7.62x39 AKs and AKMs. Not saying they are tack drivers just the best of the breed. IMO, a lot of the accuacy issues with AKs is the lack of match and high quality ammo, but they will never be sub-MOA rifles.

Vepr Accuracy

I bought one when they were first out, and I was certainly impressed by their quality, but didn't find them neccesarily any more accurate than anything else. The most accurate AKM I ever had, was quite paradoxically, a Century Arms AMD-65 ! So, ya never know.

I have a MAK90 with a 20" barrel & 8x Russian scope that does +/-3" at 100 meters with ammo it likes. That is likely the best 7.62x39 I have.

Thanks fellas.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would concur with El Laton C. mostly it's ammo quality or lack there of. However one more thing that I believe is a contributor to group dispersion on the AK weapon is the rear sight. If you ever see high speed photography of an AK being shot the rear sight flops around like a rag doll. If the rear sight is bouncing around as they do, they are not going to settle back in the same place shot to shot.

Other things that can effect accuracy are barrel stress, stress in the steel. I once had six 7.62x39 rifles and I assisted building over a dozen for people that brought me their receivers and kits. So I am quite familiar with the AK from many nations. The barrels often have deep machining grooves on the O.D. from lathe turning at high speed and taking deep cuts.

I had a Hungarian SA-85M that showed promise as being more accurate than the average AK type. I sent it out for Cryo treatment to 300° Below Industries in IL. Before it was treated a typical group from a cold barrel was about 3.5 inches. After it got hot it could expand to greater than 5 inches. When the barreled receiver came back I put it together and went and benched it to gauge the improvement to accuracy if any. The first 5 shots out of it were amazingly small. Vertical dispersion was 3/4" and horizontal was 1.5 inches.

The next 5 shots were nearly the same. I next wanted to see what it would do if it really got hot. I had some targets I'd made up that were the scale images of clay pigeons with orange domes. From bench rest at 100 yards I was able to put 30 rounds inside the paper image of the clay pigeon just as fast as I could recover from the recoil and get my sight picture back. It did so well, I put in another 30 round mag and those rounds also stayed inside the extents of the CP on paper. Convinced me, Cryo treatment turned a predictable result of dispersion from that rifle to no dispersion of group after shooting and even extensive smoking hot barrel conditions.

Got a shooting buddy to Cryo treat his SAR-1. His overall groups were not as small but it was stable in dispersion of the groups after heat up like my SA-85M was. His use to vertical string up to 8 inches before treatment, afterwards just a nice circular group of about 4".

Typical accuracy for a 7.62x39 AK is going to be around 4" to 5" at 100 yards. If you have one that will do better, consider yourself to own an above average AK.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    What do you have now?

From what I've seen they are on par with the best of the 7.62x39 AKs and AKMs. Not saying they are tack drivers just the best of the breed. IMO, a lot of the accuacy issues with AKs is the lack of match and high quality ammo, but they will never be sub-MOA rifles.
    Romanian RPK, thanks.

I think you're probably wasting energy trying to find an "accurate" AK. Then again, you have to clarify what you mean by "accurate" because it's such a subjective term. In my opinion, there isn't an "accurate" AK typically found. Yes, some Dragunov versions can group pretty well at long distance but I'll defy you to find an AK that will be sub 2 MOA beyond 200 yds in a 7.62x39 round. Now... having said all that, I will also argue the VEPR's are the best made, heaviest barrels and stoutest receivers. This all contributes towards a positive accuracy. I have VEPR's in 5.45x39 and I can ring 10" steel plates at 300 yds as fast as I can pull the trigger with iron sights and almost as fast at 500yds. Place my scope up there and I can go 700yds with 1.5 MOA grouping on a good day. I contribute this to that specific round and the fact it's a VEPR.

AK's are designed for killing, not accuracy. You want accuracy go get a 700 Remington, or an Accuracy International, or....(insert name of favorite long distance gun). You want a gun that will run forever in the mud with rust and dirt all over it and still kill bad people.... grab an AK.