Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Optic Tops Your Scoped Rifles for Hunting?

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.

What Optic Tops Your Scoped Rifles for Hunting?

What optic tops your scoped hunting rifles?

I have two. Mine is a Leopold Vari-XII bought in 1997.

The other one I own is the same type bought in the '60s or 70's by my father for his Savage Mdl 99F which he gave to me.

I need another. I have two rifles that share the same scope. Pain to always re-zero.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8. Never have had a problem with it.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

I'm to poor for Leopold. I've got a Bushnell Sportsman zeroed in for deer season on my Mossberg 243.

Scott
    Always Remember:
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
    (I don't know who to credit but I like the quote.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Everything I have has Leupold...course, I traded for/bought before prices went into the ozone.
    Dan

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Nothing but Leupold on my centerfires. Love to shoot the big stuff.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Weaver K12 on my Pre64 m70 .270

I have a few others but hell its held zero for almost 30-40 years so its note worthy and ok by me !

Tasco POS.

yeah...

...I really got to do something about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Tasco POS.

yeah...

...I really got to do something about that...
    I admire your honesty

I will catch hell for this but here goes, I don't think Loop's are the best scope for the money. There I said it....now I think Leupolds are a great clear/bright scope, American made with an iron clad warranty, but I think they are overpriced.

I think the Bushnell Elite4200, Nikon Monarch and the Zeiss Conquest offer a better value and those three scopes are on most of my rifles with the exception of three USED VX III's and a Simmons POS on a Marlin .22

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post
    What optic tops your scoped hunting rifles?

I have two. Mine is a Leopold Vari-XII bought in 1997.

The other one I own is the same type bought in the '60s or 70's by my father for his Savage Mdl 99F which he gave to me.

I need another. I have two rifles that share the same scope. Pain to always re-zero.
    Reidfield Sportview-in any variation. They are hard to find with Leopold, Nikon and the higher priced Bushnell's now controlling the market. I missed a buck of a lifetime with a Simmons 3X9X42 zeroed in a 100 and took a 250 yard shot by holding over the buck's pump station. (100 yards because we were hunting heavy brush) and I swore never again. So I bought the scope. Dopes out to 1000 yards. Too pretty to put on any old rifle so bought the 7mm Rem Mag Weather Mark V as an excuse. My brother just returned from the deployment as a Marine sniper and to show off, he hit a 3 inch grouping at 750 yards. I told my golden rule. If I can't visually see the buck with the naked eye, I do not glass him. So he doped it at dead zero at 400. I can consistently bench rest shoot (paperpunch) a 1 inch group and without a rest or resting against whatever I can, my knee usually, I'm good for a 4 inch group at 400. All are lethal. The Nikon Monarch is a good scope and my son uses it on his custom left handed Weatherby 7mm-08. He can see better than I can and made a 250 dead as a doornail, wallhanger whitetail buck shot last year. My father says a good scope is one that does not make the wife mad, satisfies your requirements and puts meat on the table. Just my two cents

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    3x9x50 simmons blazer I got for $25 on clearance at wally world, works fine on the $280 marlin

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Well, several different ones. A couple of Leupold 2x7 Vari X II's, a Leupold 1x5, Leup 4x, 4 Nikon 3x9 Prostaffs (three are BDC), Nikon 2x7 Prostaff BDC... that's it for the "big game rifles".
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

I have Simmons and Bushnells...TASCO's are craptacular.
    Patron Life member NRA

U.S. Army Combat Engineer
    237th Eng. Batt.
    Heilbronn,Germany 1976-79

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

bushnell elite and nikon. (buckmaster??)

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I admire your honesty

I will catch hell for this but here goes, I don't think Loop's are the best scope for the money. There I said it....now I think Leupolds are a great clear/bright scope, American made with an iron clad warranty, but I think they are overpriced.

I think the Bushnell Elite4200, Nikon Monarch and the Zeiss Conquest offer a better value and those three scopes are on most of my rifles with the exception of three USED VX III's and a Simmons POS on a Marlin .22
    Yeah, it sucks the root, but at least the dang thing soes it's job under decent conditions. (Hit a pig within two inches of where I was aiming at @70-80 yards) Unfortunately I could barley make the ol' porker out through that punk scope in fading daylight!

How would you rate those other scope against Loop's for quality of optics? The guy who I waw hunting with had a nice Loop, and the difference was litterally night and day compared to mine.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 10-07-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Yeah, it sucks the root, but at least the dang thing soes it's job under decent conditions. (Hit a pig within two inches of where I was aiming at @70-80 yards) Unfortunately I could barley make the ol' porker out through that punk scope in fading daylight!

How would you rate those other scope against Loop's for quality of optics? The guy who I waw hunting with had a nice Loop, and the difference was litterally night and day compared to mine.
    Oh no doubt the Leupold was nice I'm sure, I think part of the problem I have with Leupolds is Leupold OWNERS! Just like Winchester pre-64 owners and .270 owners. Heck they can't even pronounce it right..........it's not Leah-poled you bumpkins! But I digress

OK I blatantly stole this from the SWFA site what can I say I'm from the Roadhouse and I sorta don't know any better. I put my personal choices in bold as they are smack in the middle and represent a good middle of the road value.

2009 Riflescope Rating Scale from best to worst

Leica ER, Swarovski Z6, Zeiss Victory

Kahles C - CL & CSX, Premier Reticle, Schmidt & Bender

Kahles KX, U.S. Optics, Swarovski PH & American Lightweight

Bushnell Elite 6500, Leupold VX-7, Nightforce NXS, IOR Valdada, Vortex Razor

Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold VX-3, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest

Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Meopta, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII & S2 Big Sky, Vortex Viper

Burris Black Diamond Signature Select XTR & Euro Diamond, Pentax Lightseeker, Trijicon Accupoint, Weaver Grand Slam

Bushnell Elite 3200, Leupold VX-II, Millet Tactical/Buck Gold, Nikko Stirling, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SI & SII, Vortex Crossfire & Diamondback, Super Sniper Fixed

Burris Fullfield II & Timberline, Leupold Rifleman & VX-I, Leatherwood, Mueller, Nikon ProStaff, Simmons

Barska, Sightmark, Swift, Truglo

BSA, Tasco, Yukon

ATN, Leapers, NcStar

Now, go here http://www.bearbasin.com/catalog.htm and buy you a bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 for $263
    Last edited by Hondo; 10-08-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

One Bush and two Kahles.

Bush not bad, but love the Kahles.

Bought a Nikon, but gave it to my son. He likes it better than the one that he had. No idea what it was.

Good service on the Kahles. Sent one away to be checked over by the pro's before one of my trips. It was given a good cleaning and a clean bill of health and sent back express, no charge.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

If you are wanting a good optic for a decent price, I would strongly suggest the new Redfields, a Nikon Prostaff or a Weaver. I have the later two and they are very good quality for the $$ - we are talking $100-$150. The Redfields and Nikons have bullet drop reticules too - which work well enough for most hunting purposes.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

My M1D has a M84 scope...

My two Mosin Nagants with scopes, a M39 and a 91/30 Finn, have Burris scout scopes. My old timers have Weaver steel tube scopes, A Remington 700 BDL and a custom Mauser. I forgot the steel tube Weaver on my Mas 49/56 and the Burris on my TC....chris3

Hunting rifles most of mine have old Tasco optics and an old Weaver on a 336C.

Tasco POS.
    Super snipers are Tasco, the difference is the lenses are ground in Japan. Tasco scopes from the 1960s were ground in Japan also.

Leupold VARIX 3 6.5-20x50mm with mildots
    Weaver K4
    Swift 3-9x40
    A couple of Tasco's on my 22's.

For hunting, I've used the Swift more than any of them. I've been tempted to upgrade it several times, but the damn thing just works too well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast