Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am a good boss

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Talking I am a good boss

I have a guy that works for me (or I should say, I am his manager) and although he is a salesman, he is on a salary with no bonus. He's done a very good job for me with little trouble over the last three years. This year, looks like we will make our annual number - 22% growth over the previous year. So, since he's shown a budding interest in deer hunting and does'nt have a bolt action rifle... I'm going to surprise him next week with a new Savage Axis .270 Win with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 scope installed.

This guy is a big bruiser but is very emotional - he'll probably tear up when I take him to the counter and present the gun to him

I am really looking forward to this. Before I started working for the company, he reported to a "hard ass" type manager who would never even consider doing something like this - in fact, he rarely even patted this guy on the back for a job well done...

I'm going ahead to make the purchase at a Cabelas and then I'm having him meet me there so we can "figure out where to go eat". The other guy that reports to me, who does have a bonus is in on this - indicated that he'd like to chip in a $100 - which I think is good of him. The guy getting the rifle works with this other guy and his hard work definately benefits him.

~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Pretty cool. Let us know how it goes.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I have a guy that works for me (or I should say, I am his manager) and although he is a salesman, he is on a salary with no bonus. He's done a very good job for me with little trouble over the last three years. This year, looks like we will make our annual number - 22% growth over the previous year. So, since he's shown a budding interest in deer hunting and does'nt have a bolt action rifle... I'm going to surprise him next week with a new Savage Axis .270 Win with a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 scope installed.

This guy is a big bruiser but is very emotional - he'll probably tear up when I take him to the counter and present the gun to him

I am really looking forward to this. Before I started working for the company, he reported to a "hard ass" type manager who would never even consider doing something like this - in fact, he rarely even patted this guy on the back for a job well done...

I'm going ahead to make the purchase at a Cabelas and then I'm having him meet me there so we can "figure out where to go eat". The other guy that reports to me, who does have a bonus is in on this - indicated that he'd like to chip in a $100 - which I think is good of him. The guy getting the rifle works with this other guy and his hard work definately benefits him.

Let me know when you have an opening ;-)
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    Let me know when you have an opening ;-)

I'm working as hard as I can to build the division so that I can hire one more guy at least.... need more volume.

Very good.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    One question, if you buy it and present it to him at Cabellas, would that place you in jeopardy of a "strawman" purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    One question, if you buy it and present it to him at Cabellas, would that place you in jeopardy of a "strawman" purchase.
    Why do you think I'm meeting him at Cabelas?

OK, I'll spell it out - I'm going in ahead of him arriving, buying the gun (paying for it) and then they'll hold it until he comes back with me to do the paperwork. OK?

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Why do you think I'm meeting him at Cabelas?

OK, I'll spell it out - I'm going in ahead of him arriving, buying the gun (paying for it) and then they'll hold it until he comes back with me to do the paperwork. OK?

I'm going ahead to make the purchase at a Cabelas and then I'm having him meet me there
    when I take him to the counter and present the gun to him

I'd bring it up to the salesman and see what the store would say about it. Even tho it is Cabellas, you never know when someone wants to be a dick about paperwork and payment and such.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    You are a good man Gunga Din.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    I'm going ahead to make the purchase at a Cabelas and then I'm having him meet me there
    when I take him to the counter and present the gun to him

I'd bring it up to the salesman and see what the store would say about it. Even tho it is Cabellas, you never know when someone wants to be a dick about paperwork and payment and such.
    This is the legal way to buy a gun for somebody else. There is absolutely no problem. The man getting the gun does the paperwork. I already explained the whole thing to them over the phone and told them I was coming in - checked stock status while I was at it. Trust me.

And thanks Grump

Hey Santa, don't forget the stocking stuffers for him. Cartouches, cleaning stuff, an approved strap for such a big guy and a bad arse case and such. It feels good to give.

He makes slings out of para cord - the survival weave kind. So he'll get that. And he can get his own ammo - I'm not made of money!!

And it really does feel to give. And every time he looks at it and holds it, he'll think good things about me - that's good mojo right?

nothing like having someone hold a gun and think GOOD things about you

This is the legal way to buy a gun for somebody else. There is absolutely no problem. The man getting the gun does the paperwork. I already explained the whole thing to them over the phone and told them I was coming in - checked stock status while I was at it. Trust me.

And thanks Grump
    Not questioning your intelligence....would have hated to see such a nice gesture go wrong over a detail.

Quote Originally Posted by blobman View Post
    nothing like having someone hold a gun and think GOOD things about you
    And the best comment of the thread award goes to blobman...

Thumbs up

That's one of the best Christmas gifts for a friend that I could think of. The prepper in me thinks that you should have gone with a .308, simply because that's the standard for the US military and police agencies. That way you would have been looking out for him in that sense too.

And thanks Grump
    I'm not so sure about that, one person paying, another doing the paperwork sounds exactly like a straw buy.

Even going in with my exwife some places were real pickey to make sure who paid was who signed the papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, one person paying, another doing the paperwork sounds exactly like a straw buy.

Even going in with my exwife some places were real pickey to make sure who paid was who signed the papers.
    Look. I know you and N/A mean well. But a straw purchase is when you buy the gun, do the paperwork and then walk out to the parking lot and sell it to somebody else - in particular when they can't pass the background check. Buying a gun for somebody and having them do the paperwork to get it is totally kosher!

It's not the payment that counts - its the paperwork being done by the person actually taking posession of the firearm.

Though, you have made me think - I will make sure that the Cabelas people know that I am perfectly legal to purchase - show them my carry permit so they know I'm not trying to do anything wrong. Jeeze.

Maybe it's from living in Texas but I'm just not that paranoid.

How do you guys think the banks do the "free gun with purchase of CD" type of thing? The recipient isn't paying for the gun...
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 12-11-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Look. I know you and N/A mean well. But a straw purchase is when you buy the gun, do the paperwork and then walk out to the parking lot and sell it to somebody else - in particular when they can't pass the background check. Buying a gun for somebody and having them do the paperwork to get it is totally kosher!

It's not the payment that counts - its the paperwork being done by the person actually taking posession of the firearm.

Though, you have made me think - I will make sure that the Cabelas people know that I am perfectly legal to purchase - show them my carry permit so they know I'm not trying to do anything wrong. Jeeze.

Maybe it's from living in Texas but I'm just not that paranoid.

How do you guys think the banks do the "free gun with purchase of CD" type of thing? The recipient isn't paying for the gun...
    I'm not trying to upset you, I think you are trying to do a wonderful thing.

However, I think you are misinformed.

On the 4473 it states "I am the buyer of this firearm" to which the person filling out the form answers yes or no. If you have made payment and someone else says they are the buyer on the form, then they have lied. It is very much the person making the payment that counts, that would be the "purchase" aspect of straw purchase.

Whether or not the other person can legally buy the gun is of no real consequence, that may add another charge, supplying a firearm to a felon or some such, but it's not necessary to be considered a straw buy.

I believe the actual correct way is to purchase it yourself, do the paperwork yourself and then give it as a gift. Either way I would check with Cabela's first and ask for their advice.

As to the CD, you are in fact buying the gun yourself, with your own money, you give the bank money for a CD, they essentially loan you money for the gun, and then that amount comes out of the interest the CD earns.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    I'm not trying to upset you, I think you are trying to do a wonderful thing.

However, I think you are misinformed.

On the 4473 it states "I am the buyer of this firearm" to which the person filling out the form answers yes or no. If you have made payment and someone else says they are the buyer on the form, then they have lied. It is very much the person making the payment that counts, that would be the "purchase" aspect of straw purchase.

Whether or not the other person can legally buy the gun is of no real consequence, that may add another charge, supplying a firearm to a felon or some such, but it's not necessary to be considered a straw buy.

I believe the actual correct way is to purchase it yourself, do the paperwork yourself and then give it as a gift. Either way I would check with Cabela's first and ask for their advice.

As to the CD, you are in fact buying the gun yourself, with your own money, you give the bank money for a CD, they essentially loan you money for the gun, and then that amount comes out of the interest the CD earns.
    I can't give it as a gift. I am a Texas resident and he's a Louisiana resident. That would be illegal. The firearm must go through a dealer.

According to you there is no way to gift a firearm to somebody in another state.

How do the banks do their free firearm? The person getting the gun is not the buyer....

If I pay for the gun and then bring my guy in and he does the paperwork to take the gun, then he is the buyer. He is buying a free gun basically.

There is no other way to do this. This is no different than "transfering" a gun. When you go to pick up a firearm from a dealer who is transfering it, there is no provision for checking who paid for the gun - nor is that an issue. The issue is who is taking posession of it.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 12-11-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast