Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ABG: Anything But God

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    For a lot of people who aren't Christians, and probably a lot who are, some guy just talking about Jesus outside of the context of a church comes off a bit like a person who is trying to tell you the "truth" about aliens or how the government is out to get you.
    One teensy problem with that thought, the government actually is out to get us.
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    The alien thing is also true.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Just tell me if anything I said isn't true. Do you have any evidence at all of religious students not being able to freely express themselves at school as that linked article suggests?
    Expulsion threatened over prayer for sick teacher
    12 Washington State High School Students Suspended for Public Prayer Group
    Idaho Academy Continues Fight to Lift Bible Ban in Schools
    Court: NYC Can Ban Churches From School Buildings
    Court Upholds Ban on Bible Distribution to Fifth-Graders
    Court Upholds Ban on Gideon Bible Distribution in Public Schools
    Supreme Court: Ban on Prayer in Public Schools
    Catoosa school board upholds Bible verse ban
    Supreme Court Allows Ban on Church Services in School
    Placentia School's Bible-Club Ban Fought
    Court Allows School Ban on Ads for Bible Clubs
    Christian Students Protest Book Ban

The search function on your browser is your friend.
    Just a few quick headlines in no particular order without having read deeply into any of the articles.

Has anyone in your life ever asked you what it's like to be stupid?
    Just curious.
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Perhaps you should have. Most of those examples you gave involve schools illegally trying to endorse or push particular religious propaganda on students. Schools have no business favoring or promoting one particular religion over others.

That first link is the only one that may have some merit, as it just sounds like a misunderstanding, and sounds like the Federal courts will rule in their favor.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Uh, no I can tell you personally that there are several schools that prohibit children from having Bibles in school, prohibit prayer groups on school property, and do not have any sanctioned moments of silence for prayer or reflection, as this shit happened in some local schools.

No, the new status quo is soon becoming "Freedom FROM religion"

BTW, your a sincere Dumbass if you think thst there are no college professors with agendas to spread Atheism and stomp out religion.
    Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
    LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Perhaps you should have. Most of those examples you gave involve schools illegally trying to endorse or push particular religious propaganda on students. Schools have no business favoring or promoting one particular religion over others.

That first link is the only one that may have some merit, as it just sounds like a misunderstanding, and sounds like the Federal courts will rule in their favor.
    Global Warming comes to mind, it is a religion. Takes faith and the gov. is pushing the faith.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Upside-down Land
    You know you live in Upside-down Land if...

* A Muslim officer crying "Allah Akbar" while shooting up an army base is considered to have committed "Workplace Violence" while an American citizen boasting a Ron Paul bumper sticker is classified as a "Domestic Terrorist".

* Your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend more money.

* A seven year old boy can be thrown out of school for calling his teacher "cute" but hosting a sexual exploration class on a college campus is perfectly acceptable.

* The Supreme Court of the United States can rule that lower courts cannot display the 10 Commandments in their courtroom, while sitting in front of a display of the 10 Commandments.

* Children are forcibly removed from parents who appropriately discipline them while children of "underprivileged" drug addicts are left to rot in filth infested cesspools.

* Working class Americans pay for their own health care (and the health care of everyone else) while unmarried women are free to have child after child on the "State's" dime while never being held responsible for their own choices.

* Hard work and success are rewarded with higher taxes and government intrusion, while slothful, lazy behavior is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid and subsidized housing.

* The government's plan for getting people back to work is to provide 99 weeks of unemployment checks (to not work).

* Being self-sufficient is considered a threat to the government.

* Politicians think that stripping away the amendments to the constitution is really protecting the rights of the people.

* The rights of the State come before the rights of the individual.

* Parents believe the State is responsible for providing for their children.

* You can write a post like this just by reading the news headlines.

* You pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big screen TV while your neighbor defaults on his mortgage (while buying iphones, TV's and new cars) and the government forgives his debt and reduces his mortgage (with your tax dollars).

* Your government can add anything they want to your kid's water (fluoride, chlorine, etc.) but you are not allowed to give them raw milk.

* Being stripped of the ability to defend yourself makes you "safe".

* You have to have your parents signature to go on a field trip but not to get an abortion.

* You can get arrested for expired tabs on your car but not for being in the country illegally.

* An 80 year old woman can be stripped searched by the TSA but a Muslim woman in a burqa is only subject to having her neck and head searched.

* Using the "N" word is considered "hate speech" but writing and signing songs about raping women and killing cops is considered "art".

Unfortunately, this list could go on and on.

www.paratusfamiliablog.com
    Get it? Some of us do and we don't like it.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Or maybe a just marginally and slightly larger problem. The .gov already has gotten us.

Wart

There is a huge double standard in this country, it's ok to run in gay parades or wear shirts proclaiming your an atheist but not if you wear a shirt proclaiming your a Christian. Why is it ok for them to act however they want but Christians can't make it known they are Christians, at least in some peoples views. The fact of the matter is it's a double standard and no one should be scrutinized in this country for what they believe.

Think about it, it's a-ok to go to a sporting event with no shirt and things painted all over your body, wearing a ridiculous hat or outfit, yelling and screaming when your team scores a point and acting crazy, getting angry and ready to fight when the other team scores a point but if someone goes to Church and raises their hand to praise the creator of all matter or they mention to someone their love of their Savior they are a freak.... weather your a Christian or not does that seem right to anyone.

I'm not saying Christians should "shove it down someones throat", IMO if someone doesn't want to talk about it then I won't talk about it and literally 99% of the Christians I know feel the same way. However if I want to say thank God for something or that I am blessed then tough titty said the kitty I will say what I want and there is nothing anyone is going to do about it. If someone doesn't like the fact I am a Christian then I could care less, that's their problem.

In Tebow's case why does anyone care if he says thank the Lord for something? I hear people say stuff that I don't agree with all the time but I don't try to stop them from saying it or pass laws making it illegal or get them fired for it, I simply think they are idiots and go about my business.

Just tell me if anything I said isn't true. Do you have any evidence at all of religious students not being able to freely express themselves at school as that linked article suggests?
    Are for real? There is almost a constant flow of reports about kids being expelled, disciplined and ridiculed for their Christian faith not to count all the other problems you read about in college and the work place.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Get it? Some of us do and we don't like it.
    Yep, it's a sad thing, this list is an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    In Tebow's case why does anyone care if he says thank the Lord for something? I hear people say stuff that I don't agree with all the time but I don't try to stop them from saying it or pass laws making it illegal or get them fired for it, I simply think they are idiots and go about my business.
    I think it has more to do with the Christian hypocrisy than anything else.

Does the New Testament not preach that you are supposed to pray and praise the Lord in private? (Matthew 6:6)

Why do Christians feel the constant need to make public spectacles out of their faith when their own preferred holy book says to do the exact opposite?
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Does the New Testament not preach that you are supposed to pray and praise the Lord in private? (Matthew 6:6)

Why do Christians feel the constant need to make public spectacles out of their faith when their own preferred holy book says to do the exact opposite?
    You obviously don't know the Bible very well. The real question is why do people care if someone bows their head and prays in public if they are not trying to force others to do the same thing. People at football games games very publicly display how they feel but I don't see anyone trying to ban how they act or publicly scrutinize and scorn them on a regular basis.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

It also teaches us to spread the word of God.

He said to "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation" Mark 16:15

And the gospel must first be preached to all nations Mark 13:10

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    It also teaches us to spread the word of God.
    Okay, so how does making a pompous show of your faith (a la Tebow) forward that goal? If you turn more people off to your message by making a big show out of it, aren't you being counter-productive?

Spreading faith is what missionaries are for, not sports stars.

Okay, so how does making a pompous show of your faith (a la Tebow) forward that goal? If you turn more people off to your message by making a big show out of it, aren't you being counter-productive?

Spreading faith is what missionaries are for, not sports stars.

Says who, you???

If a Christian wishes to praise the Lord and give thanks to God that's his constitutionally guaranteed right.

It says a lot more about the heart and soul of the people who are "turned off" by his "pompous show of faith" than it does about this young man and his beliefs.

But then again I can certainly understand why losers with nothing, who have no reason to thank God would be upset and envious of someone who God has shined upon.

Last edited by weevil; 12-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.

I see nothing pompous about Tebow’s praying.

Quote Originally Posted by Focused Gunfire View Post
    I see nothing pompous about Tebow’s praying.
    +1

Jesus did not preach against praying in public or praising the name of God-- just the opposite. What he was against was ostentatious displays of piety. I think it's a tremndous stretch that only a liberal who feels uncomfortable at the merest whiff of spirituality could make that Tim Tebow is making a grandiose display in his thankfulness. What I've seen is a guy who quickly and succinctly praises his Lord and thanks him for His gifts before jumping over to whatever the ESPN or NFL Network folks want to talk about.

This is really what you want in public schools? The principal to be able to have students read bible verses and say the lords prayer every day over the PA system?

Do you not understand that a lot of people would have a big problem with that?

Is it ok for a Muslim principal to have the kids read the Koran over the PA to your kids?

Can I assume you probably wouldn't be ok with that?

Then how do you think I would feel having my kids principal reading the NT to my Jewish kids?

There are about 225 million Christians in the US (83% of the population), being served by roughly 320,000 Christian churches. Is anyone actually stopping you from going to them? Do you have to push past protesters to get into your church? Are you unable to find copies of the Bible? Are you unable to take your children? Is the government tracking down Christians and throwing them into concentration camps?

No offense, but maybe you should get the hell over your selves then and quit bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    This is really what you want in public schools? The principal to be able to have students read bible verses and say the lords prayer every day over the PA system?

Do you not understand that a lot of people would have a big problem with that?

Is it ok for a Muslim principal to have the kids read the Koran over the PA to your kids?

Can I assume you probably wouldn't be ok with that?

Then how do you think I would feel having my kids principal reading the NT to my Jewish kids?

There are about 225 million Christians in the US (83% of the population), being served by roughly 320,000 Christian churches. Is anyone actually stopping you from going to them? Do you have to push past protesters to get into your church? Are you unable to find copies of the Bible? Are you unable to take your children? Is the government tracking down Christians and throwing them into concentration camps?

No offense, but maybe you should get the hell over your selves then and quit bitching.

Yeah I think most of us agree that a public official like a school principal using his authority to force his religious beliefs on children is wrong, regadless of what religion it is.

Just as most of us think it's wong to deny those same children the right to express their religion through a prayer, or a bow towards mecca, or wearing a necklace with a Star of David.

Do you think it's right to deny children the right to use school facilites for a bible, koran, torah study class after school?

No public schools should not encourage one religion over another but they should not discourage and discriminate against those of faith.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Yeah I think most of us agree that a public official like a school principal using his authority to force his religious beliefs on children is wrong, regadless of what religion it is.

Just as most of us think it's wong to deny those same children the right to express their religion through a prayer, or a bow towards mecca, or wearing a necklace with a Star of David.

Do you think it's right to deny children the right to use school facilites for a bible, koran, torah study class after school?

No public schools should not encourage one religion over another but they should not discourage and discriminate against those of faith.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    I 100% agree.

I have no problem with a little room, without any specific decoration, where the kids can go and pray if they want, by themselves or with other groups of STUDENTS.

I have no problem with using public facities as places to pray if people so choose and it doesn't interfere with the actual duties of the space.

Wanna use the school gym after hours while your church, temple, mosque get's built/rebuilt/renovated ...I'm perfectly cool with that.

I do prefer when other religious institutions lend thier space though, I think it's very giving and good spirited...churches in the US, particularly protestant churches have for decades lent space for jews to worship. I think that's awesome. Of course they are equally free not to do so.

Wanna wear a cross, star of David, upside down cross, or Wiccan symbol as a necklace at school, no problem.

But I do get tired of the "War on Christmas" whining bullshit. It's not like you can't find a place to worship, or look at Christmas lights (I love them ), or whatever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12