Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama Done Good

Obama Done Good

Well, did one good thing since in office.
    Last year, Congress passed a law that would have the FCC regulate the volume levels between TV shows and commercials. In other words, there will be no spikes in volume when a commercial airs. The FCC is expected to enact this before the end of the year.

IMO, the one good thing Obama did was to sign the Bill into law.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Still, no matter how you slice it and dice it, it's still more government interference.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Still, no matter how you slice it and dice it, it's still more government interference.
    I have to agree. I find the loud blast of commercials annoying, but that doesn't mean I think the government should be dictating broadcast volume levels.

Just charge it to my cable bill.
    They make the changes, we pay for it.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I'd rather they control the volume then the expiration date on my ammo. Keep the Feds busy with the liberal moguls in control of the radio and TV content and maybe they will turn on him and eat him alive.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

No matter, if the networks can crank up the volume, they can surely tone it done without any trouble.
    The Government is going to have their fingers in our business until the end, so why not make the world a little quieter?

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    , so why not make the world a little quieter?
    I did my part....I haven't watched TV in over 12 years now. It's a quite I can live with.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I did my part....I haven't watched TV in over 12 years now. It's a quite I can live with.

Yeah but when you did watch it, didn't you just hate when you were relaxing in front of the boob tube after a hard day, watching a good movie or your favorite show, and all of a sudden some braying jackass would blast out from the set trying to sell you a used car or furniture?

Yeah I suppose even Obama has done a few good things.

Didn't he sign the law that let's us carry in national parks too?

Still as a whole these few trivial things pale in comparison to the horrible job he's done with the economy, his diastrous and failing foreign policies, and the generally piss poor job he's done as the President of the United States.
    Last edited by weevil; 12-13-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Yeah but when you did watch it, didn't you just hate when you were relaxing in front of the boob tube after a hard day, watching a good movie or your favorite show, and all of a sudden some braying jackass would blast out from the set trying to sell you a used car or furniture?

Sure...but I didn't say, "There oughta be a law....."

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

What a waste of money and time. Real fucking important gubment going on there buddy! (sarcasm)
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Sure...but I didn't say, "There oughta be a law....."

Meh......I'm not big on new laws and goverment control either, but I can live with this one.

:

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    What a waste of money and time. Real fucking important gubment going on there buddy! (sarcasm)
    While they are concentrating their efforts on feel good legislation that isn't going to cast anybody anything they aren't passing mulit-bazillion dollar spending programs that we can't afford. Just between you me and the stick my dog used to chew on the best congress is the one in recess. They have one major job to do and they never get it done on time and that is pass the budget. After that its looking at treaties and filling judge vacancies. They haven't done that very well either. I was going to mention their constitution mandated responsibility to wage war but they already gave up that job so they could concentrate on funding freeway exits and boat landings that they can name after themselves. Aw crap there I go only a few sentences and I am on my way to a rant. Gonna sneak on out of here now, time for my bed.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Anything that takes away liberties he is on board with. We have no right to control things ourselves, for that is the function of government right? Wrong.

Does anyone ever stop to think just what the function of government is? Should it be invading our everyday lives for ANY purpose? I guess that depends on how weak and pathetic one is. If you can't make your own decisions, or function by yourself, run your own life, control those simple things in your life like a remote control, then you probably need the government to wipe your backside. Personally, I can handle the remote fine, I don't need any outside help.

Obama signed the law, he didn't create it, it took weeks to write in 2009, get sponsers, be brought to the floor for a vote, once passed in the house, it went to the senate where it took months to read, rewrite, brought to the floor for a vote, and then it went back to the house for a revote. Yes, all valuable time but since they haven't passed a budget for over 3 years, why not eh?

This bill was started in 2009, how much time and money did it cost us?
    well, in 2008, For Financial Year 2008 $4,330,451,000 has been requested - an increase of 14% from 2007. What would this be spent on? The running of the Senate $869.3 million - mainly for the personnel and office expenses of individual Senators; and the salaries of officers and their employees. House of Representatives - as for the Senate, but these costs amount to $1.2 billion. Architect of the Capitol - the costs of the maintenance, operation, development and preservation of the Capitol complex (which includes not only the main Capitol building but House & Senate Offices; the grounds; the buildings and grounds of the Library of Congress; Capitol power plant; Botanic Garden and the new Capitol Visitors Center are estimated at $481.7 million. Then we have the Capitol Police - This department will the full time equivalent of 2,125 people. Staff and other costs will require $299.1 million. Granted this is an annual cost, but when a bill takes 2 years to go through the system it will consume some of the time (money) reflected above.

The second part of the equation is the estimated cost to TV stations/broadcasters was estimated at $139 million in 2009 money. And they say regulations don't hurt business. Who will ultimately pay for this? You and I whether it be from higher cable/satelite costs or increases to advertisers who will pass it on to us in the price of their products.

Well, If that's your idea of what government should be doing with our tax dollars you live on a different planet than me. If you think its worth the cost of $139 million to businesses you live in a different solar system.

"Obama done good" is like the delivery boy makes a great pizza when he's just the delivery boy, not they chef. Sorry, all I see is a colossal waste of government time and our money.

There's been bigger waste of taxpayer's monies for stupider causes. I see this as an atom in a 5 gallon bucket of waste.

So why not rejoice for lower volumes? It benefits all TV watchers, which I am one of.

CCW Permit
    03 FFL

$139 million to not have commercials at a higher volume than regular programming?

Who's estimate is that?

The used car dealers and furniture companies or the broadcasters?

I'd like to see a breakdown of what exactly it is that's gonna cost $139 mill to have the volume at the same level on commercials.
    Last edited by weevil; 12-14-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    $139 million to not have commercials at a higher volume than regular programming?

Who's estimate is that?

The used car dealers and furniture companies or the broadcasters?

I'd like to see a breakdown of what exactly it is that's gonna cost $139 mill to have the volume at the same level on commercials.
    here you go http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquer...sel=TOC_10737&

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    There's been bigger waste of taxpayer's monies for stupider causes. I see this as an atom in a 5 gallon bucket of waste.

So why not rejoice for lower volumes? It benefits all TV watchers, which I am one of.
    so when does it get to the point that enough atoms is too many? When it gets to that point, do you think you will be able to tell them no more? Encroachment one inch on your property is nothing right? until it becomes 2 inches or maybe a foot? But when you have let them trespass unabated they will soon believe they have a right to 20 feet.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by PROBASCO View Post
    Anything that takes away liberties he is on board with. We have no right to control things ourselves, for that is the function of government right? Wrong.

And all the other stuff...
    Amen brother.
    Bambam just violated his oath of office yet again.
    Congress stuck it's nose where it does'nt belong...yet again.
    What's to celebrate?

Someone that thinks this is good please quote the part of the constitution that gave any of them the authority to even discuss this on capitol hill. Maybe tomorrow they can do something really important for us like investigate and (re)legislate on the sugar content of bubble gum, you know, for the children.

Things like this are the camels nose under your souls tent. If they do enough of them eventuallly everyone has that thing that "was'nt really so bad" that breeds acceptance in the mind for their misdeeds. Eventually everyone has something where they might cry for "government reform", well, except for that thing that they like because that was'nt so bad. How we got here in the first place.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~ C.S.Lewis
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Quote Originally Posted by PROBASCO View Post
    The second part of the equation is the estimated cost to TV stations/broadcasters was estimated at $139 million in 2009 money.
    This is not true. If the advertizers griped about these extra costs, they lied.

Having worked in sound engineering, and having worked with people in broadcasting, I can tell you straight up that it is a bald faced lie.

The volume thing is a trick to force advertizing down your throat. The fact is, it costs the exact same amount of money to brodcast a comercial at a reasonal volume as it does to brodcast at a higher volume.

Bear with me for a second; (and if you guys are into audio electronics try not to roll your eyes while I list stuff you probably already know...)

"Dynamic range" is the measurment of amplitude within a certain allowed bandwidth. Say from 0db (db = decibels) to 50db, would be a dyamic range of 50db. Quieter sounds on the track will be lower, with the loudest recorded audio peaking at 50db. So you can think of greater amplitude roughly translating to higher volume.

A broadcast will have a very limited dynamic range. FM radio was 4db. So what tevlevision broadcasters are doing is playing the program at about %70 , and then playing the comercials at peak. I.E. Show is peaking at 2-2.5db, and comercial blasts at 4db. If anything it is more expensive to play "louder" commercials because they require higher amplitude, thus slightly more power. Though this cost actually comes out on your end when your speakers have to push harder to produce louder sounds. (The speakers being driven by and electromagnet you pay to opperate.)

Now there is even a machine called a compressor. These machines are very important in brodcasting because they ensure that diferent source materials, such as programing, and then commercials recorded in a dozen different production houses, all broadcast with the same signal apmlitude. They do this so that each signal fits within the available dynamic range. Signal amplitude beyond the dynamic range creates distortion, and not even advertizers want that. To have programs and adds running at diferent volumes requires two separate compression ratios, and twice the work to run them that way.

The volume spike is a deliberate decision, and it can undone deliberately at no extra cost. It would even save on labor and energy costs.

In other words, the advertisers playing victim here is a big load of bull.

And this isn't "new government encroachment" on anybodies rights either. The FCC has been trampling those rights for decades. Can't even operate a HAM radio without a license. "New" my foot.
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo GED; 12-14-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Does this apply to radio and satellite radio too? I hope so. Nothing more annoying than to have to turn the volume down every 5 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast