Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Obama Done Good

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    While they are concentrating their efforts on feel good legislation that isn't going to cast anybody anything they aren't passing mulit-bazillion dollar spending programs that we can't afford. Just between you me and the stick my dog used to chew on the best congress is the one in recess. They have one major job to do and they never get it done on time and that is pass the budget. After that its looking at treaties and filling judge vacancies. They haven't done that very well either. I was going to mention their constitution mandated responsibility to wage war but they already gave up that job so they could concentrate on funding freeway exits and boat landings that they can name after themselves. Aw crap there I go only a few sentences and I am on my way to a rant. Gonna sneak on out of here now, time for my bed.
    I was referring to the salaries "we the people" pay these fucks is a waste of money and time. I do not watch real TV and have not for several years, this was wasted gubment.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

AND, maybe its just me, but I swear that the commercials in my area have gotten even louder the last 6 months. Its like they know they have to tone it down so this is their protest/retaliation?

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Along the same lines.....

I use an antenna. I am too cheap to get cable or satellite. When watching a program, the reception is not the best. However, when a commercial comes on, crystal clear, and.....the volume is jacked up. But, why does obummer have to get involved in this? Oh, it is because when he is in DC, all he does is watch the soap operas because they are so similar to his administration and he doesn't like the increased volume of the commercials.....chris3

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PROBASCO View Post
    That's not the estimate for the cost.

$139 million is the "annual threshold" for private sector mandates. The costs are expected to fall below the annual threshold of $139 million.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

What cost is there? Having to turn a dial when they record the commercial?

On top of the blaring commercials, my local stations are running the same commercial back to back twice and sometimes 3 times. This is almost as annoying as the volume.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    Well, did one good thing since in office.
    Last year, Congress passed a law that would have the FCC regulate the volume levels between TV shows and commercials. In other words, there will be no spikes in volume when a commercial airs. The FCC is expected to enact this before the end of the year.

IMO, the one good thing Obama did was to sign the Bill into law.
    The reason that volume changes between commercials and shows is simple: TV shows (mostly) have 5.1 audio. In order to properly play on a stereo (2 channel) TV, the 5.1 is down-mixed to 2 channels. The AVERAGE volume that results is about 1/2 of a plain stereo content.

Commercials, on the other hand, don't need fancy sound and are only stereo. Not needing to be down mixed, commercials come in louder (because the TV was set up high to compensate for the quite program content).

It may seem like commercials are purposely "blasted" loud to get your attention, but it's strictly a technical reason that it happens.

What SHOULD be done (and is simple to do with probably ZERO extra parts and maybe 10 more lines of DSP code) is to make the TV itself output a set number of dB. Whatever you set the volume to, that's what comes out... no matter what the program content is.

Oh... and HOW MUCH is Congress being paid to worry about my stinkin' TV set???
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12