Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Know what this is?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    As promised......

Ok, all you've done is shown a steelcase, copper washed case made at Chinese factory number 31 in 1975. That has nothing to do with, nor does it denote, that it has any particular kind of projectile. Would you like to tryagain?

Go here:
    http://www.rhinoconservation.org/wp-...inese_ammo.jpg

look at the 4 cartridges on the left....they are armor piercing.
    Last edited by N/A; 12-15-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Would you like to try again?
    Sure. What do you want me to do?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Sure. What do you want me to do?
    Actually, I don't want you to do anything Roger, other than realize that because it has a steel core, it is not an armor piercing round. They were imported by the ship load before Olympic Arms and the BATF caused them to be declared "armor piercing" and banned further importation.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Actually, I don't want you to do anything Roger, other than realize that because it has a steel core, it is not an armor piercing round. They were imported by the ship load before Olympic Arms and the BATF caused them to be declared "armor piercing" and banned further importation.
    Not trying to argue... all I'm saying is I melted a few pulled bullets to get the lead out of the "body" and there was a core rattling inside.

I tested the core on a grinder and it made the typical dull yellow sparks of tungsten. Steel, of course, produces abundant brilliant yellow-white sparks.

Then I heated it white hot with an oxy-acetylene torch and when held in open air it burned, leaving a dense yellowish - almost white smoke (again, what tungsten does... it burns).

Lastly, holding the core in my hand it felt unusually heavy... heavier than steel.

When I did this test, I EXPECTED the core to be steel and was surprised that it acted like tungsten.

I suppose I could place a core on a balance and take a picture of the mass for you.... ?

(edit to add): OK I hang my head in shame. I went and pulled another bullet, removed the core and tested it. I was going to prove it to you once and for all.

So I get the core out and THIS ONE is not unusually heavy. THIS ONE sticks to a magnet and sparks white on a grinder. It's a STEEL core!

Big deal. I thought it was tungsten core. I may as well shoot this crap and get rid of it. I have no need for corrosive ammo...
    Last edited by Krupski; 12-16-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Not trying to argue... all I'm saying is I melted a few pulled bullets to get the lead out of the "body" and there was a core rattling inside
    Probably a good thing you weren't hanging one of these then

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

OK, Krupski, that's all I was trying to say to you. Did that ammo come from a sardine can or was it boxed up in 20 round boxes? Either way, I think the only corrisive part might be the primers if from the sardine cans. And don't shoot it up just to get rid of it, it's a great reserve to keep on hand for the Zombie Wars.

Not trying to argue... all I'm saying is I melted a few pulled bullets to get the lead out of the "body" and there was a core rattling inside.

I tested the core on a grinder and it made the typical dull yellow sparks of tungsten. Steel, of course, produces abundant brilliant yellow-white sparks.

Then I heated it white hot with an oxy-acetylene torch and when held in open air it burned, leaving a dense yellowish - almost white smoke (again, what tungsten does... it burns).

Lastly, holding the core in my hand it felt unusually heavy... heavier than steel.

When I did this test, I EXPECTED the core to be steel and was surprised that it acted like tungsten.

I suppose I could place a core on a balance and take a picture of the mass for you.... ?

(edit to add): OK I hang my head in shame. I went and pulled another bullet, removed the core and tested it. I was going to prove it to you once and for all.

So I get the core out and THIS ONE is not unusually heavy. THIS ONE sticks to a magnet and sparks white on a grinder. It's a STEEL core!

Big deal. I thought it was tungsten core. I may as well shoot this crap and get rid of it. I have no need for corrosive ammo...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12