Thread: Question about M1 Garand ammo

Question about M1 Garand ammo

I know that you shouldn't shoot ammo through the M1 Garand above 150 grains, however I have no idea if this ammo is above 150 grains. Does anyone know if it's good to run through my rifle? I also thought that the Germans and Japanese didn't have body armor in WW2, so does anyone know what it was used for? Thanks for your help in advance.

http://www.ammogarand.com/3006-m2-ar...n30062250.html

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatcher View Post
    Its for taking out lite armor, Trucks, engine blocks, jeep type vehicles, etc Any 30.06 round will DEMOLISH any kind of body armor. Its most likely wasnt for that purpose.
    Thanks for the info nitewatcher, so is it good to shoot through my M1 Garand?

I can't see the photo but if the bullets have a black tip that is definitely armor piercing, anti-equipment not anti-personel as stated above.
    My pop used to buy that ammo in Garand clips. I would say that it is intended for a Garand.
    What does the headstamp say? BTW if the date is 1953 or older and US military surplus, it is loaded corrosive (mercuric) primers. If that is the case I would pull the bullets and reload them in modern cases with new primers. Otherwise you better clean the devil out of that rifle after shooting corrosive ammo.
    Last edited by Texas Soldado; 12-16-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: clarification
    Hell-bent, 100%, Texan til' I die...
    "Is not safe... Is GUN" -anonymous Russian Soldier

Hmm, I looked around some more on their website. It looks like they have the same ammo on the clips for the M1, so I'm pretty sure it will be fine to shoot through my rifle. I've placed an order, hopefully it will be here by Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Soldado View Post
    I can't see the photo but if the bullets have a black tip that is definitely armor piercing. My pop used to buy that ammo in Garand clips. I would say that it is intended for a Garand.
    What does the headstamp say? BTW if the date is 1953 or older, it is loaded corrosive (mercuric) primers. If that is the case I would pull the bullets and reload them in modern cases with new primers. Otherwise you better clean the devil out of that rifle after shooting corrosive ammo.
    Thanks for the warning Texas, it says WW2 production so my guess is that they are from the 1940's.

Yeh the ammo is fine to shoot in your M1 dont forget to save some of them babies for the SHTF
    Lol, actually I plan on saving them all for a true SHTF, and only plan on test firing one clip. I will be ready for the rise of the machines.

smart move those may never come around again. & dont be surprised if that round becomes a very valuable barter item. I think you hella scored.
    It's a shame that you can't order any in commiefornia.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

That ammo was designed for use in the M1 Garand, M1903A3, M1916, etc. and should not cause an issue with any of those or other 30.06 firearms in safe working order.

I've read reports from WWII that indicate quite a few GI's used AP exclusively if they could get it as is it worked wonders for getting at Germans behind brick and cinderblock walls not to mention wooden barns and houses.

Large Marge here loves a mag full of AP and those 20rds can put a hurtin on most anything in short order.

Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I get it. I just have it shipped to my ranch in Idaho I have my AP in 762x54 thank you very much lol
    Haha that reminds me, I should look for some AP for my mosins too.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

WOW "Large marge" is beautiful If thats yours you are a very lucky man. good for you
    Yep, that's my girl. She's the semiauto model from Ohio Ordnance but for the money she's every bit as sweet as her full auto cousin at 15% of the cost.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Looks like you have your answer. Yes to use in the M1 Garand. On GI's using it all the time, I talked to a WWII vet that said he never had anything else to shoot during his time in the Pacific. Said it worked good at taking out Japanese hiding behind trees. Also before the 172 gr. match bullet was invented for Service Rifle and sniping the 165 gr. AP bullet was used at Camp Perry in Ohio at the National NRA Service Rifle matches. The weight and uniformity of shape, (roundness) is better on these bullets than the standard M2 ball round that most think of as the M1's fodder. Also a study of throat errosion and barrel life was done using M2 and the AP bullet. The AP bullet wore the barrels less than M2 ball.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-17-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

British snipers in WWII were issued at least 10 rounds of armor piercing .303 per deployment. They were to be used for shooting the receivers of any German machine guns they could target. This would probably work much better on a Maxim in a defensive position than on an MG 34 or MG 42, though the destruction would be more thorough if a hit could be accomplished on these lighter weapons.

That was the intended use of these cartridges (.303 AP in British service). In one U.S. sniper's account of an action in Korea he took out a NORK Maxim with .30-06 AP.
    Last edited by Bluntforce; 12-17-2011 at 04:39 AM.

about the only thing I wouldnt run through a garand is the older Soft point barnaul ammo.

I have oodles of 06 brass and bullets BUT...

No gun in it yet.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Looks like you have your answer. Yes to use in the M1 Garand. On GI's using it all the time, I talked to a WWII vet that said he never had anything else to shoot during his time in the Pacific. Said it worked good at taking out Japanese hiding behind trees. Also before the 172 gr. match bullet was invented for Service Rifle and sniping the 165 gr. AP bullet was used at Camp Perry in Ohio at the National NRA Service Rifle matches. The weight and uniformity of shape, (roundness) is better on these bullets than the standard M2 ball round that most think of as the M1's fodder. Also a study of throat errosion and barrel life was done using M2 and the AP bullet. The AP bullet wore the barrels less than M2 ball.
    Thanks for the story Schuetzenman, I thought that I knew a lot about WW2 but this just goes to show me that there's always something else to learn.