Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban

Congress overturns incandescent light bulb ban

By Stephen Dinan-
    The Washington Times
    Friday, December 16, 2011

Congressional negotiators struck a deal Thursday that overturns the new rules that were to have banned sales of traditional incandescent light bulbs beginning next year.

That agreement is tucked inside the massive 1,200-page spending bill that funds the government through the rest of this fiscal year, and which both houses of Congress will vote on Friday. Mr. Obama is expected to sign the bill, which heads off a looming government shutdown.

To read the rest of the story click the link below.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...0_undefined,0_

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Hopefully it saves a few jobs, between this and the pipeline deal they really are having a time dragging the President into helping to create some jobs aren't they? (and by helping I mean getting him out of the way )

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

The ban was BS anyway.

You don't kill the environment, the environment kills you.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I thought they just defunded enforcement?

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I thought they just defunded enforcement?
    Thats what I hear as well.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Lightbulb

Whudya know, something approaching common sense prevailed in Congress.

I could be wrong... but when I saw all the "Stock up now" signs in Home Depot, I started researching it on the web... from what I recall. There was never a ban on ALL incandescent lightbulbs... just the 100 Watt ones, you could still buy 40 and 60 watt traditional bulbs even IF the ban went into effect.

well I guess I have enough light bulbs to not have to worry about buying them for the next several years. It was good to get them on sale for 12¢ each though!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The bulb ban was another one of those "feel-good" ideas that would do less for the environment (replacing inefficient heat generating bulbs with bulbs that if broken required a haz-mat response) and more for moving jobs out of the country to continue our downward spiral into a non-manufacturing base. And looky looky where all those new replacement bulbs are made!!!!!! Yep, made in China!!!!

Thank you George Bush2 for your continued proof that the Bush gene pool has no common sense. Thank you the Bush Congress for approving the stupidity, but my real thanks to those with the right stuff to repeal the stupidity, or at least rein it in!!!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    I could be wrong... but when I saw all the "Stock up now" signs in Home Depot, I started researching it on the web... from what I recall. There was never a ban on ALL incandescent lightbulbs... just the 100 Watt ones, you could still buy 40 and 60 watt traditional bulbs even IF the ban went into effect.
    Not true, they are phased out also a little later, like a couple years. (2014 IIRC)

I stocked up on enough 60 watt bulbs to last my lifetime. Watch the ban will be repealed.... Better prepared than not though.

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/product...L_4-11_EPA.pdf
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 12-17-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Ban or not, this won't save any jobs, at least not US ones... the last American plant making incandecent bulbs will be closing in a few weeks.

Those new LED bulbs are so superior to incandescents. Sure they cost $30 each, but they last 15 years and save you a SHITLOAD on electricity costs, as they only sip about 7-watts and generate the same amount of soft white light as 60-watt incandescents do.

I don't really care for CFLs because many of them give off a bluish sort of tint and take too long to "warm up" before they are generating maximum light, which really sucks in the bathroom. But LEDs are awesome. Eventually they will come down in price and be as cheap as incandescents, but the more early adopters the faster that will happen.

There really is a lot we can do in terms of conservation to meet our future energy needs. Instead of building a shitload more coal and nuclear plants, if we just replaced every incandescent bulb with an LED, we could meet our nation's energy needs for the next 50 years without building a single new coal or nuke plant. That's good news for the planet, and our pocket-books.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

On the farm incandescent bulbs work good for heat as well as light in some instances. Hang one bulb over a water troth and it doesn't freeze, hang one in pump casing and it won't either. For under a buck you get a cheap heater that's safe and 90% efficient...

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    On the farm incandescent bulbs work good for heat as well as light in some instances. Hang one bulb over a water troth and it doesn't freeze, hang one in pump casing and it won't either. For under a buck you get a cheap heater that's safe and 90% efficient...

When they started using LEDs for the traffic lights they ran into a problem. In the winter time the snow was packing onto them and drivers couldn't tell what color light was lit up.

The old incandescent bulbs produced enough heat to melt off the snow, the new LED lights didn't.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Yup. Would build a little corner and hang a 100 watt bulb....pigs would go where it was warm and the sow wouldn't crushem.

Wart

I've replaced all my 'spiral' bulbs with incandescent. .
    The spirals are useless outdoors in cold weather.
    They also give off a yellowish light inside that I hate.

God save the incandescent. (brighter, whiter light)
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Come on Nut! Let's us not bash George W. Here. The Man for what ever Flaw's he does, or did have, is a brillant modern Version of Eienstein, compaired to the Piece of Shit in the White house, who is pretending to be 1. Moderate, 2. Christian, 3. American Born. I still am stinging over what his Whore of a Wife said on Nov. 11, during the Veterian's Day Event. when she wispered to Obongo, All this for a Flag! In his Lifetime George W. could not do enought stupid thing's even on purpose, if he tried. It is time to leave him alone! He was flawed in many way's but he was also REAL as well. I can never forgot the Look on our President's face at that School on that fateful Morning while the Aide was wispering in his Ear, the Tower's were coming down. When History is being written of this time. When compaired to the Anti-Christ, we now have, George W. will be reviered as a saint. While he did some thing's that sometimes drove me nuts! We did loose the A.W.B. with his help!!! Remember!

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

This makes Uncle Fester so happy!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Talking

Oh yea! forgot about him!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Those new LED bulbs are so superior to incandescents. Sure they cost $30 each, but they last 15 years and save you a SHITLOAD on electricity costs, as they only sip about 7-watts and generate the same amount of soft white light as 60-watt incandescents do.

I don't really care for CFLs because many of them give off a bluish sort of tint and take too long to "warm up" before they are generating maximum light, which really sucks in the bathroom. But LEDs are awesome. Eventually they will come down in price and be as cheap as incandescents, but the more early adopters the faster that will happen.

There really is a lot we can do in terms of conservation to meet our future energy needs. Instead of building a shitload more coal and nuclear plants, if we just replaced every incandescent bulb with an LED, we could meet our nation's energy needs for the next 50 years without building a single new coal or nuke plant. That's good news for the planet, and our pocket-books.
    I'd rather build the coal and nuc plants. Good jobs for good pay, cheap energy. Spare me the BS about saving the planet. Code words for do what we say, live as we tell you to. if all this "green crap" was all that, it would sell itself rather than have to be subsidized and/or forced on us..
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 12-18-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast