Thread: Veterans for Ron Paul (video)

Roadhouse Groupee

Veterans for Ron Paul (video)

Truthfully I thought RP was electable up until the last debate, I think he really hurt himself with his last comments in the manner he made them the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Truthfully I thought RP was electable up until the last debate, I think he really hurt himself with his last comments in the manner he made them the other night.
    What did he say? I missed that debate...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

He expanded on his pro Iranian nuke talk. Taking it up a notch from it doesn't matter if Iran gets a nuke to us trying to stop them from getting a nuke through the use of sanctions would be an act of war...

If you are on the right I doubt you view stopping Iran from getting a nuke as all that wrong. If you are on the left I doubt you'll find the US going to the UN to put sanctions in place as wrong. Truthfully I'm not sure who he's reaching with this line of logic.

Question

Do you really think, even if Iran develops nukes, that they would dare use them?

Neo-conservatives said the same thing about North Korea before they developed nukes, and lo and behold, the world hasn't ended, even with a bat-shit crazy leader at the helm over there.

Nukes don't make very good offensive weapons, as using them would only invite assured retaliatory destruction. They only serve as good defensive weapons, as a deterrent against foreign invasion. (Which I suspect is the real reason neo-conservatives don't want Iran to develop nukes, because at that point invading them will be off the table, because they'll have nothing to lose by using them at that point.)

Heinlein wasn't wrong when he opined: "An armed society is a polite society."

That doesn't just apply to guns...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

IMO the damage isn't in what Iran does, it's how RP looks weak on foreign policy. We want Presidents who atleast sound strong even if they aren't, sounding weak is not the best strategy for winning the Presidency. That IMO is true for the left, right and moderates in the middle, again I just don't get who RP is trying to win over with this position (and I'm open to voting for the guy).

Ron Paul is not weak on foriegn policy. On his interview with Jay Leno last Friday, he stated that the founders of the Constitution intentionally made it complex to declare war. He said that if war was necessary, then he would go to Congress for a declaration and go in strong and finish it quick. The President is not supposed to have the power of war.

Ron Paul is the only hope for restoring a Constitutional Republic. Restore America Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
    Ron Paul is not weak on foriegn policy. On his interview with Jay Leno last Friday, he stated that the founders of the Constitution intentionally made it complex to declare war. He said that if war was necessary, then he would go to Congress for a declaration and go in strong and finish it quick. The President is not supposed to have the power of war.

Ron Paul is the only hope for restoring a Constitutional Republic. Restore America Now!
    Then he should be saying so and not it doesn't matter if Iran gets a nuke or sanctions against Iran to keep them from getting a bomb is an act of war. Right now the biggest mouthpiece Iran has in American politics is RP, that is not exactly where a candidate probably needs to be (That is a candidate for American voters, maybe Iranian voters would be cool with it but American voters doubtful ).

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    IMO the damage isn't in what Iran does, it's how RP looks weak on foreign policy. We want Presidents who atleast sound strong even if they aren't, sounding weak is not the best strategy for winning the Presidency. That IMO is true for the left, right and moderates in the middle, again I just don't get who RP is trying to win over with this position (and I'm open to voting for the guy).
    Yeah cause our foreign policy has worked out so well since the 40's....Time for some US time, don't ya think?
    FBHO

Quote Originally Posted by chiak47 View Post
    Yeah cause our foreign policy has worked out so well since the 40's....Time for some US time, don't ya think?
    Wasn't it the foreign of policy only "US time" that spawned most of the troubles from the 1940's on? I'm sure the path we are on is not always right, however I'm not sure the RP path is either. Surely there has to be some middle ground between war with Iran and not caring if they get the bomb isn't there? Sort of reminds me of the no taxes/all cuts or more taxes/no cuts choices we are being offered today...

I agree that we are overdue for US time. The Cold War is over 20 years now. We do not been military bases all over the world and open eneded wars that only benefit corporations. Free trade is not working. We should expect fair trade.

Here is a direct link to Ron Paul's position on National Defense. Please check it out with an open mind.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/national-defense/

I like the term he used on Leno last Friday. He called Newt Gingrich a "chicken hawk". He obtained deferrments to avoid military service and is now agressive with my brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
    Last edited by Wild Bill; 12-19-2011 at 12:02 PM.