Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Following the passage of the NDAA?

Anyone Following the passage of the NDAA?

Looked over the board here quickly and saw nothing - what gives? Everybody's remarkably silent about this ...
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

There's been a few threads on it.

It strikes me as ridiculous that no one would see the potential for havoc with our constitution that this represents...

Team GunsNet Gold 05/2011

Quote Originally Posted by AK again View Post
    It strikes me as ridiculous that no one would see the potential for havoc with our constitution that this represents...
    Read or get a book on tape of THE JOURNEYER. In it when a slave tells a master he knows camels, the master asks him when one is fully loaded. The slave responds that as you load a camel it grunts, humphs and spits constantly. When the camel has reached maximum capacity it becomes silent. If any more is loaded after that point, the camel will not carry it.

Maybe we reached our carrying capacity. When Americans finally shut up, watch out.

I think in order to read that bill as applying to citizens in the way some want to you have to ignore the wording of the bill and some recent SCOUS rulings. Also consider that under the way things have been done all a President has to do is ignore any issues and do as they please (the GWB model) or declare an emergency and do as they please. In light of that and the actual wording of the bill as applying only to foreigners I'm not sure any drastic reading of the bill is needed for us to be fearful of the government...

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Just posted another youetube production about it. Got it from your facebook page.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    In light of that and the actual wording of the bill as applying only to foreigners I'm not sure any drastic reading of the bill is needed for us to be fearful of the government...
    Agreed. Even the majority of Democrats now fear the .gov.

The problem with this type bill is our laws are not passed for specific groups but are applicable to all. RICO, when passed, was strictly to go after the Mafia. As we've seen half the white collar criminals are charged under RICO these days.

Wart

Here's your 'NO' votes:

Cardin (D-MD)
    Coburn (R-OK)*
    Crapo (R-ID)
    DeMint (R-SC)
    Durbin (D-IL)
    Franken (D-MN)
    Harkin (D-IA)*
    Lee (R-UT)*
    Merkley (D-OR)*
    Paul (R-KY)*
    Risch (R-ID)
    Sanders (I-VT)*
    Wyden (D-OR)*

Wart

When GWB was President conservatives were for the most part OK with him ignoring any laws or lack there of concerning all this. Liberals on the other hand were sure he was going to stage a coup and throw them all into the FEMA camps. Now that we have a liberal as President it's the conservatives that are afraid of the FEMA camps and the liberals are basically OK with it.

Changing your fears of the Gov't based on who's in office seems the worse way to determine if a policy is correct or not.

Still though in order to read this law as being able to round up citizens you have to actually disregard what the bill says and recent SCOUS rulings, the practical need to round people up in the first place (why do we all need to go to FEMA camps?) and the issues with the logistics of rounding up the people (seems like a military mission) ...

My fear is we really don't know what's in the bill.

I spoke with the staff of both my senators and those staffers didn't know dick shit. I also spoke with them about the Republican meeting held with the Fed Chairman. One did not know there had been a meeting.

Spoke with the DC offices.

Wart

It's hard to get behind any bill Congress writes...

When GWB was President conservatives were for the most part OK with him ignoring any laws or lack there of concerning all this. Liberals on the other hand were sure he was going to stage a coup and throw them all into the FEMA camps. Now that we have a liberal as President it's the conservatives that are afraid of the FEMA camps and the liberals are basically OK with it.

Changing your fears of the Gov't based on who's in office seems the worse way to determine if a policy is correct or not.

IIRC it IS a military mission now, or at least, it can be. I completely agree with you on line #2, "Changing your fears ... "

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    My fear is we really don't know what's in the bill.

Wart
    Go read it. The full text is out there.

I think it would have been a lot less panic if people would have done some research instead of freaking out over what the bloggers said.

IIRC it IS a military mission now, or at least, it can be. I completely agree with you on line #2, "Changing your fears ... "
    Only if you are a terrorist that happens to not be a citizen of the USA. Or a lawful alien of this country.

The problem with accusing the military of following such an internment order is you are basically labeling our troops with treason, that is a step I do not believe the military would take nor should be so eager to label them as.

The problem with accusing the military of following such an internment order is you are basically labeling our troops with treason, that is a step I do not believe the military would take nor should be so eager to label them as.

Which really has nothing to do with anything since that aint whats in the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronwicp View Post
    Which really has nothing to do with anything since that aint whats in the bill.
    Which is what I've been saying all along but it's still not stopping all that many from saying our troops would follow such an unconstitutional order...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronwicp View Post
    ........if people would have done some research instead of freaking......
    I spoke with both my Senator's Washington offices twice about this bill. Did you ?

Wart

Edited to add:

Senator Coburn was one of only seven to vote against the bill though I'm sure my calls had little to nothing to do with that decision.
    Last edited by Warthogg; 12-19-2011 at 04:06 PM.

'ALL ENEMIES BOTH FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC'. You might recall the Japanese US CITIZENS that were put in concentration camps during WW II.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by Warthogg View Post
    'ALL ENEMIES BOTH FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC'. You might recall the Japanese US CITIZENS that were put in concentration camps during WW II.

Wart
    And what I was trying to get at was actions like this were done without this law, and then to get to the point of internment again you'd have to disregard all those lawsuits and court rulings in between 1941 and today... In some ways we are very much the same country (emergency powers are a possibility) while in others we are very different (public opinion and court rulings since).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast