Thread: Any small engine experts here?

Any small engine experts here?

I bought my kids one of those $400-some-assembly-required ATV's online.

I spent about an hour last night putting the wheels on (very easy, just had to bolt the shock and two struts to the arm and bolt the wheel on.

All I have to do tonight is install the brake light and handle bars....

One of the handle bar bolts was stripped, so I called the company and they can't get me one before Christmas so I picked one up at the hardware store.

So, I asked the guy on the phone about start up... he said I have to drain the "shipping oil" out of the engine and put some 10W40 in, a little less than a quart is what he said.

But he also said that I may need to prime the fuel... I figured it'd drain right in. He said something about putting directly in the carburator? You can do that? Any other suggestions?

Sorry to ask here, but I could barely understand this guy... southern california, hispanic was my guess.

Anybody have experience with these chinese ATV's? I know I should have bought a Yamaha or Honda, but those were like $2600. I know you get what you pay for and I may soon be learning a valuable lesson... but I bought my son a Yamaha TT50 bike a couple years ago and doesn't run worth a flip so I figured I'd try a cheap ATV.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

2 or 4 stroke?

I am not sure the need to put fuel in the carb. I rebuilt my dirt bike engine and had the carb off for a few months and it was bone dry when I put it back on.

Once you open the fuel cock the bowl should fill up.

As to priming, it may need it. there might be a priming bulb on it that you can press a few times, or you can use engine compression to suck in gas (extra kicks or pulls) but that might not work, or you can take off the air filter and spray in a bit of engine starter, or you can pour a table spoon or two worth of gas in it.

If he told you to pour in some gas that's probably what I'd do, but just a very very small bit

Is this engine set up like a lawn mower engine or a standard dirtbike/atv engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    As to priming, it may need it. there might be a priming bulb on it that you can press a few times, or you can use engine compression to suck in gas (extra kicks or pulls) but that might not work, or you can take off the air filter and spray in a bit of engine starter, or you can pour a table spoon or two worth of gas in it.

If he told you to pour in some gas that's probably what I'd do, but just a very very small bit
    I would do like kadmos suggested and for safety don't hold any open containers of gas over the carburetor (it could backfire and catch it on fire)
    A little soda bottle cap full of gas down the throat of the carburetor should get it going. If you don't want to bother with taking the breather off then get you a can of ether (starting fluid) at Auto Zone
    Last edited by jojo; 12-21-2011 at 05:31 PM.

id shoot some ether in er

Hey Fellas, thanks for the advice.

I got the oil changed pretty much with no problem, I pulled the wrong plug by mistake. I pulled the cap to the clutch, only a few drops of oil fell out on my finger. Under the plug was some kind of weird long spring. Any idea what that was for, I put it back in as it came out and put the plug back in. Then I got the right plug and drained the brake in oil.

Poured in the gas, the fuel bulb/filter filled up... turned the choke on and it started up after about 30 seconds. I guess fuel needed to get to the engine.

Here's what it looks like:

Hello,

Folks have it covered well here. I like to see that!

Do the primer bulb (if it has one) and starting fluid route. Less messy and less chance of flooding the engine.

When I was a mechanic I never did believe in priming engines with gasoline as we could never be sure it vaporized correctly. A spray can will make sure fuel is indeed vaporized as the carb will the gasoline.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    I bought my kids one of those $400-some-assembly-required ATV's online.

I spent about an hour last night putting the wheels on (very easy, just had to bolt the shock and two struts to the arm and bolt the wheel on.

All I have to do tonight is install the brake light and handle bars....

One of the handle bar bolts was stripped, so I called the company and they can't get me one before Christmas so I picked one up at the hardware store.

So, I asked the guy on the phone about start up... he said I have to drain the "shipping oil" out of the engine and put some 10W40 in, a little less than a quart is what he said.

But he also said that I may need to prime the fuel... I figured it'd drain right in. He said something about putting directly in the carburator? You can do that? Any other suggestions?

Sorry to ask here, but I could barely understand this guy... southern california, hispanic was my guess.

Anybody have experience with these chinese ATV's? I know I should have bought a Yamaha or Honda, but those were like $2600. I know you get what you pay for and I may soon be learning a valuable lesson... but I bought my son a Yamaha TT50 bike a couple years ago and doesn't run worth a flip so I figured I'd try a cheap ATV.
    You can prime the engine with 1/2 capful of gasoline (like maybe 1/4 of a shotglass).

Be SURE that the engine is off, not hot and the ignition turned off before you do this.

Be sure ALL the gasoline is located well away from the engine and be sure no wet gasoline is on your clothes or your hand.

Then try to start the engine. Be sure your face is nowhere near the carb intake as the engine could backfire and blast out a shot of flame.

If something catches on fire, DO NOT try to put it out... just get safely away from it.

If you have an A-B-C fire extinguisher (be sure it's OK for gasoline and oil) keep that handy and use it only if it's safe to do so.

As you can imagine... I'm ultra careful about fire nowadays.....

While I was in the hospital with my burns they brought in a guy (who died that same night)... he was snowblowing and the blower ran out of gas. He refilled the tank with a hot engine and somehow it caught fire. 80% third degree burns and burned airway the guy had. I could hear him gasping with each breath. It creeped me out.

Be careful with that shit.......
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Ok 4 stroke.