Thread: Finland finds Patriot missles on China-bound ship.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Finland finds Patriot missles on China-bound ship.

Police did not confirm Finnish media reports that the ship had also been scheduled to stop in South Korea, Reuters news agency reports.
    Sounds like a botched CIA op. Maybe trying to surreptitiously arm the South Koreans, in violation of the Non-Proliferation Treaty?
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Sounds like a botched CIA op. Maybe trying to surreptitiously arm the South Koreans, in violation of the Non-Proliferation Treaty?

Um, We, the USA, deployed a buttload of Patriot missile batteries in 1994 when Kim Jong Il kicked the bucket and the first words out of the now dead son, Kim Il Sung, were, "I'll turn Seoul into a sea of fire!" I know because I was there, we had a huge party to celibrate the event! We got a total of three batteries, 9 sets of launchers, all set up between the parallel runways at Kunsan AB. Since then, we have trained Katusa's and ROK units on the patriot system.

BTW, Patriot missiles are non-nuclear anti-missile missiles and not covered under the non-proliferation treaty.
    In High school I thought Paradise Lost meant no more Crap games!

Member Since 07/2002

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Odd situation.

1. I work in shipping, and these days to move anything there must be extensive documentation and paper trails about the shipper (the party sending it) and the consignee (the party receiving it). And that's just for normal stuff. Weapons are much more highly regulated, obviously. So, who was the shipper from Germany? The trail needs to be followed. Not to mention these are IMO Class 1 dangerous goods (explosives) and that could endanger the vessel if not stowed properly.

2. ATAK - you've got it backwards. Kim Song Il died in 1994 and that's when Kim Jong Il came to power.

Roadhouse Groupee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-104_Patriot

Patriot systems have been sold to Taiwan, Egypt, Germany, Greece, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Jordan and Spain. Poland hosts training rotations of a battery of U.S. Patriot launchers. It was first deployed in Morąg in 24 May 2010 but has since been moved to Toruń. The Republic of Korea also purchased several second-hand Patriot systems from Germany after North Korea test-launched ballistic missiles to the Sea of Japan and proceeded with underground nuclear testing in 2006.

So if we didn't supply these missiles which of the above welfare states did? (play Jeopardy music here)

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    Odd situation.

1. I work in shipping, and these days to move anything there must be extensive documentation and paper trails about the shipper (the party sending it) and the consignee (the party receiving it). And that's just for normal stuff. Weapons are much more highly regulated, obviously. So, who was the shipper from Germany? The trail needs to be followed. Not to mention these are IMO Class 1 dangerous goods (explosives) and that could endanger the vessel if not stowed properly.

2. ATAK - you've got it backwards. Kim Song Il died in 1994 and that's when Kim Jong Il came to power.
    Ah, a Kim by any other name... is still an evil dictator! My brain rarely keeps up with my typing!
    In High school I thought Paradise Lost meant no more Crap games!

Member Since 07/2002

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Cool

Fast n Furious.....part !!????????????????????????????????????????
    Dan

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Correction to my earlier post, I was Kimfused.

Kim Il Sung died in 1994, he was the father of Kim Jong Il.

But yeah, what's the story on these missiles?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Patriot missiles, designed by the US company Raytheon, are supplied to "US and allied forces", according to the company's website. South Korea is among states which deploy them.
    Some sort of op cause the missiles were loaded but with nothing marking their destination. Not exactly standard operations.

The crew will profess to know nothing - and probably don't know much.

Wart
    Last edited by Warthogg; 12-25-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    Fast n Furious.....part !!????????????????????????????????????????
    Dan
    I was gonna say that. Damn gunshow loophole. Now the Chinese are buying missiles without a background check at American gunshows. Think of the CHILDREN!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Probably just going back for warranty work.