Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Athens, Tx courthouse square....

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Athens, Tx courthouse square....

I drove by the Athens courthouse where the idiots from Wisconsin are complaining about the Christ manger scene. I was impressed. On the SE corner is the life size manger scene. On the SW corner is a Santa and some elves. On the NW corner there is a family of deer set up among some Christmas trees. Halfway down the block is a Santa's workshop. Large decorated Christmas tree. On the NE corner is a life size group singing Christmas carols. on the east side of the courthouse is a large Santa, sleigh with 9 raindeer. All the light poles along the square have a lighted angle blowing a trumpet. So................those idiots in Wis can go fudge themselves. If they don't like it, don't come here..............chris3

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I wonder if those who are protesting are showing their convictions by working Christmas Day? It's only fitting that they show their disapproval of Christmas by working and refusing to take time off.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Hmmmmm......Athens, Texas just might not be the place for those Wisconsin boys and girls.......to demonstrate.

Wart

Maybe to bring some of us to speed on all this, why exactly are people from Wis protesting in TX about a manger scene?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Unless you are being forced to view those scenes, there is nothing even remotely unconstitutional about the display. Enjoy the scenery!

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    If those morons doing the complaining ever manage to find Texas on the map and make their way down there to demonstrate would you do us cheeseheads a favor and keep them. I will be happy to donate the cost of ammo and send you a brand new shovel.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

I think the straw...

that ended this was the TX attorney general telling Athens that he had their back if those idiots decided to sue.

The folks in Athens are looking for the local person that started all this. Can you say "get a rope"........Athens is a nice quiet town. My south camp is 7 miles south of there......chris3

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    Athens is a nice quiet town.
    Yup. I remember when the Holiday Inn was built and you could finally buy liquor by the drink. Place was crawling with womenz.

Wart

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Maybe to bring some of us to speed on all this, why exactly are people from Wis protesting in TX about a manger scene?
    They're part of the 'Freedom From Religion' group, which is run by local WI atheists and general whackos.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    They're part of the 'Freedom From Religion' group, which is run by local WI atheists and general whackos.
    How about we start the 'Freedom From Wackos and Atheists' group?
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Thank you, I haven't heard of this.

Forum Administrator Prometheus168's Avatar

They might not want to screw around to much in East Texas.... lots of places to get lost there....

Rusty
    GIG'EM AGGIES!
    Lieutenant of Correctional Officers- Texas Dept. Of Criminal Justice.
    Firefighter- Calvert Fire Department

Formerly know as Prometheus606

Thumbs down

Wow, I guess the leaders of Athens want to get sued.

Allowing only Christian decorations on public property to the exclusion of all others? Blatantly unconstitutional, and even the conservative SCOTUS agrees.

Wonder how Athens' taxpayers will like the big judgment against their city which they will have to pay? Bet the city's leadership gets booted in the next election.

Reminds me: I need to kick down a few bucks to the FFRF for all the good work they do in fighting these Christian extremists.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Wow, I guess the leaders of Athens want to get sued.

Allowing only Christian decorations on public property to the exclusion of all others? Blatantly unconstitutional, and even the conservative SCOTUS agrees.

Wonder how Athens' taxpayers will like the big judgment against their city which they will have to pay? Bet the city's leadership gets booted in the next election.

Reminds me: I need to kick down a few bucks to the FFRF for all the good work they do in fighting these Christian extremists.
    Wow I guess liberal vacuum heads don't believe in freedom of religion and insist that their minority view point of freedom from religion take precedence over the constitutional rights of those who are believers.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Wow I guess liberal vacuum heads don't believe in freedom of religion and insist that their minority view point of freedom from religion take precedence over the constitutional rights of those who are believers.
    Not at all. If the city would just allow other displays besides just the Christian ones, the FFRF would have no problem at all and the city wouldn't get sued.

Somehow I expect the city will choose to yank all displays before they allow Jewish, Muslim, and Flying Spaghetti Monster displays to be put up.

Just my gut feeling.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Not at all. If the city would just allow other displays besides just the Christian ones, the FFRF would have no problem at all and the city wouldn't get sued.

Somehow I expect the city will choose to yank all displays before they allow Jewish, Muslim, and Flying Spaghetti Monster displays to be put up.

Just my gut feeling.
    Rep. Ted Poe

Party
    RState
    TXMr. Speaker, in the piney woods of east Texas, the small town of Athens in Henderson County is getting ready for the holidays. A group of local volunteers with Keep Athens Beautiful has placed a nativity scene on the far corner of the courthouse square. It has been there for the last 10 years with no complaints from residents.
    But a group of out-of-towners, not from Athens, not even from Texas, but from a thousand miles away in Wisconsin, have self-righteously objected to the nativity scene. The antireligious hate group demands baby Jesus be evicted from the courthouse lawn.
    The county judge politely said no local citizen has complained about the scene, and he really doesn't care what somebody from Wisconsin thinks. He even invited other religious groups to use the courthouse square, but no one has asked to do so.
    The county officials don't appear to be succumbing to the intimidation tactics of the bigoted group that wants to censor religion. County commissioner Joe Hall made it clear: ``We will remove the nativity scene when hell freezes over. It's not going anywhere.''
    And that's just the way it is.

Just my gut feeling.
    Your gut should read the article more closely before you look like an idiot. Your gut lied to you but then I'm not surprised.

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Rep. Ted Poe

Party
    RState
    TXMr. Speaker, in the piney woods of east Texas, the small town of Athens in Henderson County is getting ready for the holidays. A group of local volunteers with Keep Athens Beautiful has placed a nativity scene on the far corner of the courthouse square. It has been there for the last 10 years with no complaints from residents.
    But a group of out-of-towners, not from Athens, not even from Texas, but from a thousand miles away in Wisconsin, have self-righteously objected to the nativity scene. The antireligious hate group demands baby Jesus be evicted from the courthouse lawn.
    The county judge politely said no local citizen has complained about the scene, and he really doesn't care what somebody from Wisconsin thinks. He even invited other religious groups to use the courthouse square, but no one has asked to do so.
    The county officials don't appear to be succumbing to the intimidation tactics of the bigoted group that wants to censor religion. County commissioner Joe Hall made it clear: ``We will remove the nativity scene when hell freezes over. It's not going anywhere.''
    And that's just the way it is.
    I find it kind of hard to believe that nobody local has complained... how did the FFRF even hear about the display if it wasn't a local who first brought it to their attention?

If its really true they are willing to allow other displays there, then the lawsuit will be dismissed. But that's not the impression I get from all the news reports I've read so far...

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    Your gut should read the article more closely before you look like an idiot. Your gut lied to you but then I'm not surprised.
    Which article? There isn't a single link in this entire thread, just a few cut-and-pastes. I'm only going off of what I've read in news reports I've come across elsewhere.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast