Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Athens, Tx courthouse square....

I don't want to call Rep. Poe a liar, but...

The controversy, oddly, began more than a thousand miles north of Athens in Madison, Wisconsin, where the secular Freedom from Religion Foundation (FFRF) is based. The FFRF had caught wind of complaints about the nativity scene from members of Athens’ community, and took it upon themselves to draft a letter requesting that local authorities have it removed from the front lawn of the county courthouse. They argued that placing religious symbols outside a government building excluded people of different backgrounds or faiths.
    We first received a phone call from an Athens resident, someone who isn’t a member of our organisation, who was looking for help. We saw a photo of the nativity and realised that it was standing alone on government property. It is against the law for the government to mount a display that focuses solely on religion. When we asked, the local authorities said it had been put up by a group, which signified to us that the land was being used as a public forum. We’re not saying destroy all nativity scenes, we’re just saying it doesn’t belong on government property, and if it does, that space needs to be opened up to different viewpoints.

We gave a banner to one of our complainants in Athens, but a banner doesn’t really cut it for balancing the visual of a nativity scene. So we’ve asked Henderson County to permit us to display what we call a ‘natural nativity’ on the grounds next year. Instead of a baby Jesus, there’s a black baby girl for equality. In the place of the wise men, there are truly wise historical figures such as Darwin, Einstein, Emma Goldman and Mark Twain.
    http://observers.france24.com/conten...ion-foundation

It sounds like the city of Athens isn't allowing any other displays. If so, that is unconstitutional and the courts WILL rule against them.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    If the Atheists do not want to look at the nativity scene when they walk or drive by the courthouse, they can simply turn their heads.

Many Christians live in foreign countries where the majority of the people worship a different god. They respectfully ignore the religious displays which are common in that country. Christians wouldn’t try to force the foreign country to change the traditions the people have celebrated for centuries or for thousands of years.

In fact, there are some “minority” Christian groups in America who do not worship like other Christian groups, but they don’t try to force everyone to worship on Saturday or observe the same rituals they observe. That is because Christians are basically tolerant people, and they are not bigoted like the Atheists who want to prevent Christians from celebrating Christ’s birthday.

If the Atheists do not like celebrating Christmas, I suggest they go find a country which does everything exactly like they want it done. When they find such a country, they should move there. They’re welcome to stay in this country, but they must behave if they want to live peacefully among us.

http://www.texasinsider.org/?p=56624
    A dickless diaper wearer contacted the no brainers in Madison but that dickless diaper wearer is in the minority. He might have gotten away with it in Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin et al. but he picked the wrong part of Texas to stir up a hornets nest. Look for an atheist protestor to get his ass deservedly handed to him if he shows up on the town square to protest.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    A dickless diaper wearer contacted the no brainers in Madison but that dickless diaper wearer is in the minority. He might have gotten away with it in Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin et al. but he picked the wrong part of Texas to stir up a hornets nest. Look for an atheist protestor to get his ass deservedly handed to him if he shows up on the town square to protest.
    Alright, so you've already admitted that it WAS a local who brought it to FFRF's attention in the first place. That pretty much makes Rep. Poe a liar.

The Bill of Rights isn't there to protect the majority -- they already have strength in numbers -- no, its there to protect the minority who don't want to be trampled upon by the majority.

The city of Athens can either allow secular displays (which they are NOT apparently doing) or have none at all.

Is it really that hard for Christians to just take that shit to private church property where it belongs? Why must they shove it in everyone's faces with a government stamp of approval?
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Actually, there's quite a bit of law covering this, and it can be displayed on government property...or not.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...OqyyJGPfkH0LpA

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Actually, there's quite a bit of law covering this, and it can be displayed on government property...or not.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...OqyyJGPfkH0LpA
    Yeah, pretty much everyone agrees, as long as they allow other private groups to put up their displays, there is no problem. But right now it seems as if the Christians are hogging all the space.

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Yeah, pretty much everyone agrees, as long as they allow other private groups to put up their displays, there is no problem. But right now it seems as if the Christians are hogging all the space.
    The point is...that they be allowed to...not that they are required to before a Nativity scene can be erected.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

We will remove the scene...

from the courthouse square if we are allowed to erect a statue of Tom Landry at Lambeau Field in Green Bay..........which will end up with "get a rope" part two....chris3

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    We will remove the scene... from the courthouse square if we are allowed to erect a statue of Tom Landry at Lambeau Field in Green Bay..........which will end up with "get a rope" part two....chris3

But right now it seems as if the Christians are hogging all the space.
    You keep saying that but according to the OP who saw it there's only the life size manger scene in the SE corner.
    The rest seems pretty generic.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    You keep saying that but according to the OP who saw it there's only the life size manger scene in the SE corner.
    I've seen multiple articles saying that they are not allowing a secular display (e.g., celebrating the Winter Solstice) to be erected along-side, only Christmas-themed decorations. If that isn't showing preference to one particular side, I don't know what is.

Here's their letter, so you can see what they actually said:

http://athens.kltv.com/news/news/756...t-athens-texas

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    I drove around the Athens courthouse square Friday. There are Christmas decorations/displays all around the square and the street.....displaying both the nativity scene and Santa Clause....chris3

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I've seen multiple articles saying that they are not allowing a secular display (e.g., celebrating the Winter Solstice) to be erected along-side, only Christmas-themed decorations. If that isn't showing preference to one particular side, I don't know what is.

Here's their letter, so you can see what they actually said:

http://athens.kltv.com/news/news/756...t-athens-texas
    Nothing there to show preference and there is a big difference between a corner and hogging the whole space. You are talking out your ass and you know it.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I guess I don't see a lot of that as being "Christian" as you said earlier. Now it's "Christmas themed" so that has a little different spin.
    Not trying to argue today but the Christmas tree comes from recognizing Winter Solstice and other than the manger scene and I guess the trumpeting angels the other stuff is secular at least that's how I take them.
    I guess I don't lump those things all together. If you and others do that's fine.
    You just kept losing me on that so wondered what the problem was with it.
    Otherwise have a great day however you choose to spend it.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

You have to remember, this is east Texas.............The state slogan here is "Don't Mess With Texas".............Texas was an independent country once, it can become one again per the treaty with the US of A....chris3

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Merry Christmas LAGC.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coppertales View Post
    .......if we are allowed to erect a statue of Tom Landry at Lambeau Field in Green Bay..........chris3
    Landry helped make the Packer legend and the Pack just might go for a Landry statue considering how the Ice Bowl turned out.

(Lee Roy couldn't break through the ice to get some footing and Fuzz Thurston finally admitted he jumped the snap count and the Packers won and without the best team.)

Wart

I'm reminded of the dumb-ass out of towners that thought it would be a good idea to protest outside Joe Horn's house.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12