Thread: Obama line item vetos 20 riders in t2012 omnibus..

Obama line item vetos 20 riders in t2012 omnibus..

http://weaselzippers.us/2011/12/23/h...spending-bill/

(The Hill) — President Obama said Friday he will not be bound by at least 20 policy riders in the 2012 omnibus funding the government, including provisions pertaining to Guantanamo Bay and gun control.

After he signed the omnibus into law Friday, the White House released a concurrent signing statement saying Obama will object to portions of the legislation on constitutional grounds.

The statement also objects to numerous unnamed provisions in the bill that would require executive branch officials to clear everyday spending decisions with appropriators.

Of these extra conditions, Obama writes, "our spending decisions shall not be treated as dependent on the approval of congressional committees."

Obama also objected to 13 sections of the State department bill, arguing they limit his ability to conduct foreign policy. In particular he objected provisions that withhold funding from Middle East allies unless the administration reveals details on ongoing negotiations to Congress.

The 1,200-page omnibus funds all parts of the federal government except for the departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Justice, Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, as well as the science agencies. Those were funded by a smaller bill that passed Congress in November.

The signing of the spending bill caps a year of contentious spending battles that saw a near-government shutdown in April and a debt-rating downgrade in August as the U.S. nearly defaulted on its obligations when Congress threatened not to raise the debt ceiling.

That debt-ceiling debacle resulted in an agreement on spending caps that greatly smoothed passage of the omnibus.

The bill was not without incident, however, and last week the White House and the GOP had a mini-standoff about policy riders in the bill. The White House was able to get a ban on family travel to Cuba removed but did not get extra funding for Wall Street reform that it had been seeking.

The White House also gave up on a provision in the bill blocking District of Columbia-funded abortions.
    Signing statements are highly controversial, and their legality is disputed. (Like the line item veto is is considered unconstitutional)

“I have advised the Congress that I will not construe these provisions as preventing me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress’s consideration such measures as I shall judge necessary and expedient,” Obama said in a statement as he signed the bill into law.

The signing statement says that on the issue of accused terrorist detainees, Obama will interpret and apply provisions that bar the transfer of detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, “in a manner that avoids constitutional conflicts.”

Obama also objected to Defense provisions in the bill that limit the president’s ability to put troops under foreign command and require 30 days advance notice to Congress for any use of the military which would involve more than $100,000 in construction costs.

The president also objected to a section aimed at blocking health, climate, auto policy and urban affairs “czars” from being employed by the White House and a provision that bars health officials from advocating for gun control. The signing statement also objects to a portion of the omnibus that limits funding for the Copyright Office.

the king has spoken

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Since when did the president get line item veto powers????

Oh wait, it's obama-messiah, never mind.

I assume this is the signing statement Presidents use? http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/signi...#axzz1hSCa1avI

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Since when did the president get line item veto powers????

Oh wait, it's obama-messiah, never mind.
    That is exactly what I thought. If anything I swear I remember the supreme court ruling that Clinton couldn't do that.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    That is exactly what I thought. If anything I swear I remember the supreme court ruling that Clinton couldn't do that.
    yep...

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

The last time I'm aware of presidential line item veto legislation being an issue was with S 524 back in March 2009. Could a visit to the SCOTUS be next?

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Contributor 05/2012

He DID promise change, don't forget.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2012 Warthogg's Avatar

Obama also objected to Defense provisions in the bill that limit the president’s ability to put troops under foreign command.......
    I'm sure Barry already has his own blue helmet. Now he wants to get our troops fitted.

Wart

The president also objected to a section aimed at blocking health, climate, auto policy and urban affairs “czars” from being employed by the White House and a provision that bars health officials from advocating for gun control.

Wart

Obama line item vetos 20 riders in t2012 omnibus..
    PROBASCO, there is no line item veto to the best of my knowledge. (Though there probably should be one.)

Wart

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Don't forget the current resident of the White House believes the constitution is a flawed document and can be molded and reshaped to serve his needs. It's for the children don't you know? If he says there is a line item veto then there is a line item veto and I doubt very much the chicken hearts in congress have the guts to over ride him other than a few impassioned speeches on the floor and a couple of press conferences.

Let us see what candidates for President have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and challenge the great pretender. This constitutional scholar who appears to know nothing about the constitution needs to be challenged by somebody and if not by his challengers then who?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.