Thread: Presidents in uniform

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Presidents in uniform

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Only the recent ones. I know of at least Washington, grant, jackson and roosevelt who are missing.

http://www.heptune.com/preslist.html

Presidents who served in wars

• George Washington - Commander in Chief of Continental Army during the American Revolution.
    • James Monroe - served in American Revolution
    • Andrew Jackson - American Revolution, War of 1812, First Seminole War
    • William Henry Harrison - Indian wars in the NW territory, War of 1812
    • John Tyler - War of 1812
    • Zachary Taylor - War of 1812, Black Hawk, Second Seminole, and Mexican wars
    • Franklin Pierce - Mexican War
    • James Buchanan - War of 1812
    • Abraham Lincoln - Black Hawk War
    • Andrew Johnson - Civil War
    • Ulysses Grant - Mexican War, Civil War
    • Rutherford Hayes - Civil War
    • James Garfield - Civil War
    • Chester Arthur - Civil War
    • Benjamin Harrison - Civil War
    • William McKinley - Civil War
    • Theodore Roosevelt - Spanish-American War
    • Harry Truman - WWI
    • Dwight Eisenhower - WWII General
    • John Kennedy - WWII
    • Lyndon Johnson - WWII
    • Richard Nixon - WWII
    • Gerald Ford - WWII
    • George Bush - WWII

Presidents who were in the military but who saw no action

• James Madison
    • James Polk
    • Millard Fillmore
    • Jimmy Carter
    • Ronald Reagan - kept out of combat due to bad eyesight
    • George W. Bush
    Presidents with no military experience

• John Adams
    • Thomas Jefferson
    • John Quincy Adams
    • Martin Van Buren
    • Grover Cleveland
    • William Taft
    • Woodrow Wilson
    • Warren Harding
    • Calvin Coolidge
    • Herbert Hoover
    • Franklin Roosevelt
    • Bill Clinton
    This was only for presidents in recent history but since you insist on the whole list here it is. I don't mind because the link I put above has a whole mess of interesting information and is why I have it in my book marks. It tickles me giggle to go through it now and again.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    http://www.heptune.com/preslist.html
    This was only for presidents in recent history but since you insist on the whole list here it is. I don't mind because the link I put above has a whole mess of interesting information and is why I have it in my book marks. It tickles me giggle to go through it now and again.
    This is missing the current president, Obama, who has no military experience, and based on some things he has said and done I think he had no dealings with anyone in the military until he became president.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    This is missing the current president, Obama, who has no military experience, and based on some things he has said and done I think he had no dealings with anyone in the military until he became president.
    Wasn't sure if he really qualifies as president until he complets a full term without getting impeached or deported. Besides would he be listed under Barack Obama or Barry Sotero. We never had a president with two names and a foreign passport before.

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Question

How about that one of Trueman in WW1 with the British style Helment. he was Signal Corps. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    How about that one of Trueman in WW1 with the British style Helment. he was Signal Corps. I think.
    Military Service
    Although he struggled to succeed on the farm and in business, Harry S. Truman found success in the military. Starting from the rank of Private in the National Guard of Missouri, Truman left military service 37 years later as a Colonel in the U.S. Army Officers' Reserve Corps. On active duty during the First World War, Captain Truman excelled as the commanding officer of a field artillery battery. His intelligence, practical experience, and work ethic proved invaluable. "Captain Harry" was highly respected by the nearly two hundred men of Battery D, and that respect kindled lifelong friendships.

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/lifetimes/military.htm
    I knew he was artillery but I never knew he had gotten all the way up to Colonel.

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Here he is, I found the Photo. This has always been my favorite of him. While he was a Dem. For the most Part he did the Right Thing. Obongo would never have Bombed Japan.