Thread: Scotch Eggs again... this time I used Quail Eggs

Scotch Eggs again... this time I used Quail Eggs

Merry Christmas Everyone,

I made Scotch Eggs for our family Christmas Eve party... these were a big hit! This time I used Quail Eggs. Man, I tell you, those little suckers are hard to peel! The egg membrane below the shell is a little tougher than a chicken egg, and the shell gets kind of "leathery" after you boil it. If I didn't have good fingernails, it'd have been even harder to peel the eggs...

Quail Eggs only need about 5 minutes to boil because they're so small.

I chopped up some shallots and parsley in a food processor the night before and cut some fresh chives by hand to mix in with the sausage. I prefer to use Jimmy Dean "Hot" sausage (unwrapped in the photo) and used regular sausage too for guests that don't like "hot". I also add about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to a single package of the sausage mix. The chicken eggs were beaten to make an egg wash to coat the sausage wrapped eggs with bread crumbs. I also found that if you keep the sausage package in the refrigerator right up until you need it, the colder the sausage is, the better it is to mold around the egg and it doesn't stick to your hands as much.

It helps to roll the sausage/egg ball in flour first before you coat it with an egg wash for the bread crumbs... the flour helps the egg stick to the ball better.

Boiling in 350 degree oil until the bread crumbs are brown. With Quail sized eggs, I found that I could get 9-10 balls out of a single package of sausage.

After boiling in oil, I finish them off by baking them in a 350 degree oven for about 10 more minutes... this ensures the sausage is cooked all the way through. My wife's muffin pan works great for this.

Hot and Spicy on top, regular sausage on the bottom.

Bon Apetite!
    Last edited by Mark Ducati; 12-24-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Exclamation

DAMN!!
    Those look GOOD!!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Looks real good Mark.

I'll have to try that "scotch eggs" recipe myself sometime, even if just with regular chicken eggs.

Enjoy your holiday.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Question

Where does one find quail eggs?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Interesting concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Amazon, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Gourmet-.../dp/B001MRL9SW

They also sell them canned.

Health food market, or any Korean market (but check the date)

DAMN those look tasty, but I don't think my immediate family would eat them.....new food....

BISHOP

Nice work.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I made a batch of these after your first post and fell in love, they will be on our party food list from now on. I'm going to try a few variations for new years.

I'm wondering if they would roll nice on the smoker or grill...I hate deep frying indoors.