Thread: Christmas in the Trenches

Smile Christmas in the Trenches

An interesting piece of history almost 100 years ago today, back during the First World War...

Christmas truce was a series of widespread unofficial ceasefires that took place along the Western Front around Christmas of 1914, during the First World War. Through the week leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers bearing gifts. On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers from both sides – as well as, to a lesser degree, from French units – independently ventured into "No man's land", where they mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. As well as joint burial ceremonies, several meetings ended in carol-singing. Troops from both sides had also been so friendly as to play games of football with one another.

Soldiers playing football on Christmas Day in Salonika.

The Germans began by placing candles on their trenches and on Christmas trees, then continued the celebration by singing Christmas carols. The British responded by singing carols of their own. The two sides continued by shouting Christmas greetings to each other. Soon thereafter, there were excursions across No Man's Land, where small gifts were exchanged, such as food, tobacco and alcohol, and souvenirs such as buttons and hats. The artillery in the region fell silent that night. The truce also allowed a breathing spell where recently fallen soldiers could be brought back behind their lines by burial parties. Joint services were held. The fraternisation was not, however, without its risks; some soldiers were shot by opposing forces. In many sectors, the truce lasted through Christmas night, but it continued until New Year's Day in others.
    Even on the Eastern Front, there was some peace-making:

German and Russian soldiers together on the Eastern front, Christmas 1914.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christm...blic_awareness

Kind of gives you hope, that even in our world's darkest days, we can find reasons to put aside our animosity towards each other and find ways to come together in peace.

Here's to hoping we never suffer another World War and massively kill each other over stupid shit...

Merry X-mas everyone. May peace be with all.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Kind of gives you hope, that even in our world's darkest days, we can find reasons to put aside our animosity towards each other and find ways to come together in peace.
    This illustrates one of the good points of religion (when used properly). It gives us something to help transcend our mundane differences, to convince us to do good works even when our selfishness would dictate otherwise.

Merry Christmas Lefty.
    CHOOT UM!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    Merry Christmas Lefty.
    Same to you, my friend.

"That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

I always loved that story since I was a child, my grandfather told me about it, he said his uncle was there. But it was so sad that the fighting returned.

Peace on Earth.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    This illustrates one of the good points of religion (when used properly). It gives us something to help transcend our mundane differences, to convince us to do good works even when our selfishness would dictate otherwise.

Merry Christmas Lefty.
    LAGC has already repsonded, but I would like to second the sentiment.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Odd how bankers and politicians want and start the war, while the common citizens alone do all the fighting and dying. Shame that didn't occur to those men to say to each other what the hell are we doing? Let's go home.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I strongly recommend this movie:

Joyeux Noel

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    I strongly recommend this movie:

Joyeux Noel

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424205/

Just put it on my Netflix list.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Thats a nice story and all, but I truely wonder this every night. Why do special things such as this happen only on Christmas. Why can't we all just get along with each other? Easier said that done, I know, but I really hope one day, conflicts will be reduced to a minimum. Along with crime rates.