Thread: War Horse - Just saw it

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

War Horse - Just saw it

Merry Christmas, all.

After Christmas with the family here in the US, my wife and I went and saw it.

Good movie with a lot of attention to detail in terms of sets, uniforms, weapons, etc.
    The story is pretty good too, kind of a "Black Beauty" set in WWI, as the wife pointed out.

Spotted: Enfield No 1 Mk III's, K98's, Luger with shoulder stock, Webley revolvers, Lewis Gun, MG 08, British Model 1908 and 1912 Cavalry Swords. Proper uniforms, webbing, gear, etc as far as I know.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

Great....

I am a Great War fan. I have to wait for it to come out on DVD as I cannot understand speech at the movies. Too many jet engines in my younger days.....chris3

Gewehr 98 and not K98?

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Gewehr 98 and not K98?
    Really. I would roll my eyes if I saw a K98 in a World War One movie. the K98s were strictly a WW2 weapon having been introduced in 1935.

Looks like a good movie to see.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

I should have written G98, not K98. The WWII German army rifle introduced in 1935 was the K98k, there were earlier versions like the K98b. The movie was accurate, I made the mistake. German troops wore the "Pickelhaube" (sp?) in 1914 but were wearing the 1916 model Stahlhelm later in the war.

Interestingly, the movie also had a few instances of body armor as worn by both sides in WWI.